Biological sex and gender identity: differences and overlaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which is not to say there isn't a very, very small percentage of the population that truly struggles with this and deserves empathy, counseling and reassignment surgery or hormone therapy when warranted. This can be done on a personal level however.

I'm curious what the distinction is between the personal level and a broader level that allows one to publicly decry as a larger group individuals who you would empathize with one on one.

^ truth.

I actually did not know what those cis- prefixes meant. I'm sorry but I'm going to go ahead and say that's a load of shit. You do not need to put a prefix in front of your gender if you identify with that gender and were born that gender. I find that pretty pretentious. I was born male, and I identify as male, so I am male.

^ truth.

I actually did not know what those cis- prefixes meant. I'm sorry but I'm going to go ahead and say that's a load of shit. You do not need to put a prefix in front of your gender if you identify with that gender and were born that gender. I find that pretty pretentious. I was born male, and I identify as male, so I am male.

I think the point of cisgender is to compliment transgender. Yeah, it may seem pretentious on first thought, but I think those who choose to identify as it do so entirely aware that it is the same thing as "male/female" and choose to remove those terms of gender in place for a "gender identity" instead.

but it still has the words male and female in them. cismale, cisfemale.

I'm aware. I'm saying instead of [male, female] it is [cisgender, transgender] or [cismale, cisfemale, transmale, transfemale].

I don't think anyone identifies as cisgender in order to be pretentious or to stand out, but rather to draw attention to something that is otherwise considered abnormal or taboo.

They're not asking you to change you driver's license. I think Facebook's point here (which they're allowed to do because HEY INDY THEY ARE A PRIVATE COMPANY!!!!!!! FREE FUCKING ENTERPRISE YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!) is to bring awareness to trans* issues, which seems noble enough.

Before this Facebook change, I was fairly certain who I was/am.
You had the advance of being raised in a 2 box world. The next generation will bathe in the indoctrinating amniotic fluid of 50 (and counting) genders to emerge somewhat less certain than you or I.
Now it's apparent gender is a choice.

That's right, what sex you are attracted to is determined before birth but your actual sex is subjective and can change as often as the weather. Welcome to the brave new world.

You're exactly right. Now that people have choices on how to self-identify on Facebook, I suddenly have lost all confidence on who I am as a person. Yup. That happened.

CONSEQUENCES!

I think the more important point exists -- why do you care what people call themselves?
It's all a slippery slope to boys wearing dresses in INDY's mind. This, gay marriage, the lot of it. He's scared shitless that gender is going to become meaningless because we're finally recognizing a segment of our society that we cast aside for far too long.

That's right, what sex you are attracted to is determined before birth but your actual sex is subjective and can change as often as the weather. Welcome to the brave new world.

You're absolutely right. What frightening times we live in. Rather than have these people (who you would claim to empathize with in person) out of sight and out of mind, now you might have to occasionally deal with their reality (which again, you would claim to empathize with) showing itself in yours.

It really must be tough for you.

It's all a slippery slope to boys wearing dresses in INDY's mind. This, gay marriage, the lot of it. He's scared shitless that gender is going to become meaningless because we're finally recognizing a segment of our society that we cast aside for far too long.

I could ask the same question all day though. Why do you care if boys wear dresses?

At what point is there actually a consequence that isn't just "something I'm not used to?"

That's right, what sex you are attracted to is determined before birth but your actual sex is subjective and can change as often as the weather.

No, it isn't. That's not the consensus in the cientific community and that's not what the American Psychological Association thinks. What is believed and taken as true is that sexual orientation has origin in a mix of factors: biological, psychological and social. It is believed that genetics may influence the predisposition towards one specific sexual orientation.
Plus, the sexual orientation is not a tight concept, since no one is 100% one thing or the other. Every single individual has both heterossexual and homossexual pulsions, regardless of the most dominant sexual orientation in that person, even asexual people do.

i'm starting to cringe now. you don't even understand the terms you're criticizing (sex vs. gender, just to begin).

That says it all. Normal is now a pejorative in "gender theory circles." Normal is "just an identification model." Normal is not inclusive you see.

Now some of us are more than satisfied with the two biological sexes and think this all the nonsensical theories of gender studies post-grad dissertations*. An early April Fools joke. But alas, as I said, this is our future. The next civil right. The Left needs a new supply of victims to illustrate the inherent bigotry of America. The Left needs to remove the Adam and Eve notion of the sexes from the conversation.

* Which is not to say there isn't a very, very small percentage of the population that truly struggles with this and deserves empathy, counseling and reassignment surgery or hormone therapy when warranted. This can be done on a personal level however.

:therethere:

:rolleyes:

Cis is a Latin prefix meaning this side of, where trans means the other side or across. Trans meaning you identify as a different gender than the sex you were born As and cis the same. So yeah it's a similar idea to cis and trans in chemistry.

I work at a university, not in academia, so I've been familiar with the terms for a while. Also, this is obviously not the correct thread to discuss sex versus gender.
:lol: Ah, that is pretty similar then indeed. As the cis configuration has both special groups on the same side of a C=C bond, and the trans has them on opposite sides.

I agree with Cobbler though, I don't really see the need to add the cis prefix.

This thread is so gay.

Got a problem with that???? :tsk:

:wink:

i'm starting to cringe now. you don't even understand the terms you're criticizing (sex vs. gender, just to begin).

"It's very simple" (Zoo TV mode): sex is more of a biological concept (although also dependant on historical/cultural/social/antropological factors and variations); gender is a social construction, dependant on the cultural meanings of a certain society or group and on the experience/living of the individual.
It's awakward for us, occidentals, but certain societies don't have or don't make gender distinction, while others (unlike ours, structured in a heteronormative and sexually binary system) are structured in multi-gender references.

You guys seem to think that it's automatically going to be some pretentious asshole. It's just a term coined for inclusion of transsexuality.

Yes but it's not necessary. I'm not gonna say I'm femalefemale right? so why bother adding the cis prefix when it is exactly that?

I don't know the precise English term for it, but in Dutch we call it double word usage and it's grammatically wrong. :wink: Thus it irks me.

The Gay Thread

Cis- means along with. Trans- means across from.

You guys/gals. It's just a word used to complete the set.

You wouldn't say "sexual" and "homosexual" would you?

They don't...a male is just the sex you are born with, cis male is you are born as a male and identify as man....you can be a man but born as the sex, female.

I think the cis- makes it easier when you are discussing gender in relation to those who don't feel part of the regular gender binary. It's not saying your female female, but that you identify as being a woman while also being of the female sex. A woman who was born male, her gender she identifies as is as a woman, but she is obviously not cis-gendered.

It makes it easier just to identify such things especially in the literature and in discussions of such. To be honest I see no real problem with it, it's completely optional, you can identify as whatever, that's cool, it only matters really in healthcare (or at least it should).

Best thing facebook could have done would have been to leave it as a blank field you can fill in for yourself. This is only going to be used as a marketing thing anyway.

The Gay Thread

No, because sexual and homosexual mean different things.

cismale and male mean the exact same thing.

It doesn't, though. Cisgender is a term meaning "of the gender." Transgender is a term meaning "across the gender."

Homosexual being "one sex" whereas heterosexual is "a mixture of sexes."

You're right. Sexual is a different word. So is gender. Sexual is not a sexual orientation, and gender is not a gender identity.

I'm still not seeing a purpose in an individual identifying as cisgender.

I guess clinically the term makes sense... But every explanation I'm seeing still seems to indicate that it means the exact same thing thing as saying you're male, but then going a step further to say, 'I'm male and I was born male'

Best thing facebook could have done would have been to leave it as a blank field you can fill in for yourself. This is only going to be used as a marketing thing anyway.

Of course it's going to be used as a marketing tool, and that's a good thing (you'd think, for people who believe in a free market economy.) A good company designs their product in response to their customer base. It's not in fact the PC police tool that Indy claims, and you can tell it isn't because companies who are doing things because they have to NEVER do them as thoroughly as Facebook did this. (Just think of any other form you've ever seen with 'trans' as a choice and how cursory it was, like the BMV for instance.) What you can tell by this form is that Facebook is marketing themselves to trans people and others who are aware of gender identity issues. And that's nice, because they deserve to be manipulated by advertising just like the rest of us. :wink:

The Gay Thread

I'm still not seeing a purpose in an individual identifying as cisgender.

I guess clinically the term makes sense... But every explanation I'm seeing still seems to indicate that it means the exact same thing thing as saying you're male, but then going a step further to say, 'I'm male and I was born male'

Okay, well how about a very effeminate male who just so happens to do drag and everyone calls that person a transgender? Can you see why someone would want to identify as cismale in that case?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom