Bill Maher-Victim Of Religious Discrimination? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Bill Maher-Victim Of Religious Discrimination?

Gee it took Susan Lucci 19 tries or whatever it was. Maybe she's an athiest too. I thought Hollywood was liberal

Bill Maher: Why I'll never win an Emmy

THR: Why can't you catch a break at the Emmys?

Maher: A panel of like 10 people watches one tape. If half of those people are religious, that probably eliminates me right there. A lot of people wouldn't vote for such an outspoken atheist, someone who made "Religulous."

Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Or it could be that year in and year out he's paired up against Jon Stewart, who's funnier and has better writers. But yeah...blame atheism, Bill. I like him and his show, FWIW.

Two more things. 1, he is right about the Emmy process, it's a crock of shit. They screen one episode then choose the nominees, then another and choose the winner. If you are a serial show, especially a heavily serialized show, you have no chance. But basically, you can have two stand alone 'great' episodes and win for an entire season.

2, Maher's show only runs about twenty times a year or something, whereas the people he's up against run 200 times a year. So not only do they have to be more funny and better more often, they have more of an opportunity to form a bigger, more loyal audience.

But really, I just Googled it. Here is who he has been up against that could easily win over his show (either Real Time or Politically Incorrect):
2000: Chris Rock, Dennis Miller, Letterman
2001: Rock, Letterman, SNL, Daily Show
2002: same as 2001
2003: same + Conan
2004: same + Chappelle
2005: same + Ali G
2006: same + Colbert
2007, 2008, 2009: same

It's not like he's getting beat by Jay Leno or something.
The Daily show has won 8 straight times.
Better show, smarter, funnier, and harder to produce .

Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Maher: A panel of like 10 people watches one tape. If half of those people are religious, that probably eliminates me right there. A lot of people wouldn't vote for such an outspoken atheist, someone who made "Religulous."
I hope Maher is not crying victim over this, because I think he's too smart to do that. If he is, then I'd lose respect for him.

As for voting for an outspoken atheist, I wouldn't mind voting for one. If his show has merit, is well-produced and written, then I would vote for Maher. I may not agree with his beliefs, but I am willing to overlook them and see how he does his show.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
It would not surprise me if some people were hesitant to award something that promoted straight-up atheism, I do think those who make the votes probably have their own personal biases that factor in, no matter what the issue is. Do I think that's the big reason he hasn't won one, though? No. I think Inner El Guapo's scenario is more likely. Just too many good people and shows up against his a lot of the time, awards shows tend to have their constant darlings, it happens.

I like his show, too, and I hope he does eventually win an award, because his show is indeed thought-provoking and funny, and even if you disagree with him, he's bound to have a guest on that you will agree with at some point. He should get recognition for his work, too. Just have to keep fighting the other nominees more, is all.

That said...

Quote:
THR: "Religulous" did quite well at the box office;
Did it? I don't recall it ever being released where I lived (was in Colorado at the time), and I guarantee you there's a good number of other towns I lived in, if not all the towns I lived in, that didn't release it, either. I think it mainly got a lot of notice in the big cities, which is fine, but that doesn't exactly qualify it as a blockbuster success.

I still have yet to see that documentary. They show it on TV sometimes, need to find a time when I can catch it.

Angela
Old 09-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Religulous wasn't a particularly good documentary and I think the victimhood mentality is best left to theists.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Victimhood mentality is equal opportunity

Kind of ironic that Bill is using one of the very things he probably decries in religious people.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Refugee

"what about building 7 bill"?!?!?!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Another 9/11 truther?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:08 AM
wrong logic:

1) Mafia war movies are not appreciated by Mafia guys !! Cartoon movies
are not seen and appreciated by cartoons.

2) You dont need to an atheist to direct a film which is critical of religions.

etc etc
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

The adult language was "fucked". I can't stand Bill Maher, what a classless jerk. He can think whatever he wants about Christianity and Tim Tebow, but maybe he should try having some class. I wouldn't boycott HBO over it but I don't have HBO anyway. Even if I did I wouldn't waste my time watching him. Anyone getting riled up over him is just what he wants.

LA Times

Bill Maher has run afoul of religious conservatives yet again, after a Christmas Eve tweet the comedian sent about overtly religious Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. Following a 40-14 Broncos' loss to the Buffalo Bills on Saturday, Maher tweeted, "Wow, Jesus just... #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler 'Hey, Buffalo's killing them'. (Adult language has been removed from the Tweet.)

Predictably, the dig from the atheist comedian didn't go over well with Christians. Fox Business' "Follow the Money" host Eric Bolling got things rolling with his Twitter response: "Bill Maher is disgusting vile trash. I can't even repeat what he just tweeted about Tebow..on Christmas Eve. #straighttohellBill."

Others have called for a boycott of HBO, which is the home of Maher's show, "Real Time." This wouldn't be the first time Maher's words have raised the ire of those on the opposite end of the political spectrum. There are regular calls for Maher's ouster from HBO. It happened in July, following a frank discussion of "hate sex" with Republican presidential candidates Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum. And in 2008, following comments about Pope Benedict XVI.

Will taking on Tebow be a bridge too far for Maher? Doubtful — but it is interesting to consider that the "Real Time" host wasn't just taking on an exceedingly popular quarterback; he was also mocking the best-selling religious author of 2011. According to Yahoo! Sports, Tebow's 2011 memoir "Through My Eyes" has 475,000 copies in print, with many more expected to be sold after the season.

Of course, considering Maher made a documentary critical of religion titled, "Religulous," he probably wouldn't have changed a thing.

"Real Time With Bill Maher" returns to HBO on January 13.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Was it poor taste? Possibly, but if people (and Tebow) are going to give credit to a higher power when things are going well, then it's fair to assume that higher power caused such a poor showing too.

Or the devil did it

Bill did nothing except ruffle a few feathers, I personally think he's a smug and arrogant, but I support his right to talk shit to whomever he pleases. I guess it doesn't hurt that I am of the same "lack of" belief system as him, so maybe I won't get as outraged!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't understand why some atheists deliberately try to offend people and basically pick fights. They complain that believers and religion are a danger to the world, yet their arrogance isn't helping much either.

I'm not a Tebow fan, BTW. I used to like Maher, but lately I've been losing respect for him. This incident is probably the final straw. Its like he's obsessed with bashing anything related to faith.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I don't understand why some atheists deliberately try to offend people and basically pick fights. They complain that believers and religion are a danger to the world, yet their arrogance isn't helping much either.
Well, that's pretty simple. Some atheists are just the same as some religious people.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Well, that's pretty simple. Some atheists are just the same as some religious people.
Yeah, true.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Was it poor taste? Possibly, but if people (and Tebow) are going to give credit to a higher power when things are going well, then it's fair to assume that higher power caused such a poor showing too.
This.
And even still, the tweet was hardly offensive. People need to stop being such delicate flowers.
I love how people can throw their religion in other people's faces and it's ok, but if anything is said in opposition to it, it's suddenly picking a fight.
If you ask me "#straighttohellbill" Is far more arrogant and cunty than anything in Maher's tweet.