Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
thanks, i was worried.

tim tebow loves him some jesus. but HE doesn't wham it down my throat.
yes he does.

i work at a religious high school, surrounded by religious people, and i hear more jesus talk in a 5 minute press conference than tim tebow than i do on any given work day.

and how soon we all forget his anti-abortion super bowl commercial from 2010...

Super Bowl 2010 Commercial - Tim Tebow & Mom - YouTube

those are his beliefs and he's really, really proud of them (or really, really covering for something). and he wants everyone else to know how great jesus is. and that's fine. but let's not try to pretend like this is entirely the media's doing. they have fueled the fire, but they didn't start it.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:06 PM
I guess it's just my nature to wonder if he's as squeaky clean as he projects to be. I really get a sense of Tiger Woods type manipulation of his image, where he's been programmed from a young age to be not only a great athlete, but a great christian icon as well.

Now media and churches can jump onto his bandwagon al they want, but he definitely gives them enough room to do so.

I just wonder if sometime in the future the perfection of Tebow the person has a "fire hydrant" moment, and unfortunately the fall for him will be even worse than Tiger. Tiger was a bit of a douche towards people as he wanted his private life kept there, and he never really opened up about faith or even family. But he was projected as a great guy and father.

If Timmy were to have a fall from grace I would not be happy for it at all. It's just something about having to project yourself as being the all around great guy, the all around nice guy, and the love for Jesus every moment of your life just strikes me as fake and covering for something.

Who knows but I think in the next year or so he will fall back to earth with his performance on the football field. And if he does improve, and turns into a good QB, more power to him.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I guess it's just my nature to wonder if he's as squeaky clean as he projects to be. I really get a sense of Tiger Woods type manipulation of his image, where he's been programmed from a young age to be not only a great athlete, but a great christian icon as well.

Now media and churches can jump onto his bandwagon al they want, but he definitely gives them enough room to do so.

I just wonder if sometime in the future the perfection of Tebow the person has a "fire hydrant" moment, and unfortunately the fall for him will be even worse than Tiger.
This.

I heard he also did something for "Focus On The Family", which makes me pretty uncomfortable on so many levels, 'cause that group is full of morons.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:06 AM
For some strange reason God has only ever spoken to the most undeveloped, uneducated (generally illiterate) end of his creation, so sure, perhaps after a 2000 year absence, via a football player is a pretty good bet.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
and unfortunately the fall for him will be even worse than Tiger.
Not in terms of international reputation, as people outside of America have actually heard of Tiger Woods.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I guess it's just my nature to wonder if he's as squeaky clean as he projects to be
Nobody is. I don't know how clean he has to be in order to be considered authentic or whatever the standard is. It depends upon who is judging him for that I suppose and what their individual standards and judgments are. Like I said before, he has really put himself out there and I'm sure there are many people digging for dirt about him. It will come out eventually if it's there. He's projecting an image but I don't think it's one of personal perfection. No true Christian would ever project that image. So as for perfection I think that's more of a projection from others. Whether his love for Jesus or his niceness is fake or real, well I would have to know him well personally in order to judge. He seems quite nice to me, but that's a very limited knowledge. Many people can seem nice when you don't really know them.

Yes I think that Focus On The Family ad was a mistake, to be affiliated with them.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Couldn't we take any number and assign it a bible passage?
Yes and any quarterback, including Tim Tebow, would rather throw for 666 yards than 316.

I'm not a numerologist or one who see Jesus in the folds of a bean burrito but I very much believe, as any Christian must, that God often shows us miracles and signs.

The world and the ages are also filled with coincidences. Miracles... improbable coincidences... they make life more interesting don't you think?

Quote:
OMG He had Luke 2:36 a few weeks back! What do you suppose that meant?
John 3:16 isn't a random Bible verse in Tebow's life. It's the one that brought him to national attention.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
For some strange reason God has only ever spoken to the most undeveloped, uneducated (generally illiterate) end of his creation, so sure, perhaps after a 2000 year absence, via a football player is a pretty good bet.
Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Western Civilization should be able to make a rather impressive list of colleges and universities founded or affiliated with Christian denominations.

Don't allow your hostility towards religion make you look ignorant.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #99
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

wow, we're really comparing a guy throwing a touchdown to a miracle? really?

really?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yep. The word "miracle" is one of those words that gets thrown around an awful lot for pretty much anything under the sun that's good.

I read an article about Tim in Time this evening at work. It said that when he put the John 3:16, I believe it was, scripture out there, it garned millions of Google searches as people hunted down what it was. That struck me really strange and says a lot about a nation that sees itself as mostly Christian.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Did all those clown-wig John 3:16 dudes from all those sporting events in the '80s see all the exposure Tebow gave their verse and weep with jealousy? Or weep with love, because hey, John 3:16?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 PM
each prayer is equally valid
Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Western Civilization should be able to make a rather impressive list of colleges and universities founded or affiliated with Christian denominations.

Don't allow your hostility towards religion make you look ignorant.
You might be misinterpreting what Earnie was saying. I think he means literally spoken to (ie uneducated illiterates in antiquity)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

He's getting even bigger numbers for the NFL. I heard today that Broncos/Steelers had more viewers then the Oscars last year, the American Idol finale, and the last Charlie Sheen episode of Two and a Half Men. I think the Pats Broncos game a few weeks ago was the highest rated game of the regular season. So Saturday should be huge. I assume he's drawing in casual fans or non fans, so of course the networks and the NFL love it.

Smart decision to decline, he really needs to stay away from politics

Sensing the excitement and loving his message, Tebow is also being courted by Republican presidential candidates. The quarterback recently told The Associated Press he's been asked by more than one of the contenders for his support. He wouldn't name names, but did say he'd declined the offer.

"I think you have to have so much trust in who you support, just from product endorsements to endorsing a candidate because if that person or company does something bad, it reflects on you," said Tebow, who's a pitchman for Nike, Jockey and FRS energy drink.