Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
i was not commenting on the bible passage; rather, on what i believe indy's interpretation of it to be based on his last few posts. it looked to me like he was basically saying that you should not hold those with wealth accountable because those without wealth are not acting like the woman in that parable.
Your logic eludes me. I was only agreeing with Liesje. And I'll add that I'm on the same page as Maycocksean, Blurmgrl and most others.

Only God knows what is in our hearts.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Well, it's more than that to me. But I don't think a person has to share my views on the nature of the Bible to be able to discuss it intelligently or suggest what it might mean. For example, one might argue that Shakespeare didn't really write the works attributed to him, but that doesn't preclude you from discussing the works.
Oh, absolutely, and I certainly didn't mean to diminish the importance of the Bible. I just meant that it's a collection of stories just like in many other books, and instead of people attacking each other over the stories, I don't see why they can't just be discussed as rationally as you would discuss any other book. Or something like that.

I fully agree on the rest of your post, too. I have absolutely no problem with intelligent, reasonable discussion of religious text/beliefs or lack thereof. I think more people should do that, it would save everyone an awful lot of grief and confusion, and it's always fascinating to hear about and try to understand why people believe what they do (at least, it is to me). This really doesn't have to be a topic that leads to anger, it's amazing how it can become such a hot button fight among people.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 AM
What I got from Indy's post was that he was using the verse to illustrate that two pennies to someone who only has two pennies is perhaps more than just charity compared to, say, five million to someone who has 100 million. Anyway, I didn't really intend for my comments to go the route of saying who is really more charitable or not, I was just being honest about my attitude towards someone like Tebow. I'm not saying it's fair or he's deserving of my pessimism, just being honest.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:05 PM
Why is it viewed as more moral to give away money to strangers, rather than spend it on friends and family or indeed one's own gratification?

Questions, questions...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm not sure that I would argue that it IS more moral. . .

Most of what I spend is on friends and family and my own gratification (or more honestly on bills, but you know what I mean).

Giving to to support a cause you believe in or to help those in a much worse situation than I am doesn't seem incompatible with that.

In reference to the story we've been discussing, we know nothing of the widow's reasons for giving, and that--again--isn't really the thrust of the story.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Why is it viewed as more moral to give away money to strangers, rather than spend it on friends and family or indeed one's own gratification?

Questions, questions...
When did it become moral for the government to take someone else's money in taxes to give away to strangers rather than allowing those that earned it, to keep it, to spend on friends and family or their own gratification?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

Tim Tebow can be the second coming of jesus himself for all I care. He's still a terrible quarterback.

Seriously though... he's incredibly awful. He makes Mark Sanchez look like Joe Montana. He may be the worst starting quarterback in the history of football. Nobody should be talking about his religion... only how bad he is, which is really fucking bad.

I also peed next to him once.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Did he pray after he was done?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

He Tebowed.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:05 AM
I hope he washed his hands, Tebowing or no Tebowing.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

he did. that's when i realized who he was.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Tim Tebow Dominates Social Media Following Playoff Victory; Bill Maher Remains Silent - The Hollywood Reporter

Holy crap look at his arms in that picture I saw him on the combine and his body is sick. Nice work God

In spite of his lack of skills he sure got it done yesterday. With a lot of help from his teammates and a hobbled QB. It's just exciting to watch.

Hopefully Tebow's ride ends Saturday but I'm nervous. At this point even when he's allegedly outmatched it's tough to say that he has no chance. I think he actually thrives on being counted out.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:05 PM
The whole thing is just stupid. It's stupid for people to assume that a God would help someone win a football game (or anything). And it was stupid of Maher to say that God would cause someone to lose a game as well.

all it's done is create a stupid shit storm for stupid people on both sides to argue.

Tebow threw for 316 yards, that's evidence of John 3:16
The refs names match the four gospels!!!!

The Bronco's won because the Steelers gambled that Tebow could not make the simple throws. For the 2nd Quarter, and one throw in OT, they were wrong.

It wasn't divine intervention, or even divine favortism, it was a poor defensive gameplan....especially considering three of your most solid players were out of the game.

I don't think I can recall a team getting as much fortune of LUCK as the Bronco's have this year. Yes they have made plays (Tebow included), but the onside kicks, facing teams that are offensively challenged, and teams that are decimated by injuries have all come into play.

None of the above is out of the ordinary to call it a miracle or divine It's just pure random luck, and congrats on the Bronco's for taking advantage of their situation.

Not sure how the next game is going to play out. Patriots have not played well the past few post seasons, but they did rip the Broncos apart a few weeks ago.

All I know is that I will need to avoid any sports radio, tv for the next week to avoid the hysteria.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
The whole thing is just stupid. It's stupid for people to assume that a God would help someone win a football game (or anything). And it was stupid of Maher to say that God would cause someone to lose a game as well.
....I don't think anyone actually thinks either of these things, man
Old 01-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Oh people do!