Bill Maher-Victim Of Religious Discrimination? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Would there be any outrage had Bill formed his tweet as the following:

"Looks like Jesus has decided to Humble Tebow with a less than stellar performance, and pity right before J's birthday...."

Not sure that has quite the zing Bill wants for any of his statements towards religion. Though I'm sure some would be upset to suggest that Jesus would purposely hurt an athlete's performance, or hurt anyone for that matter (Jesus only intervenes for GOOD!!!). You cannot have it both ways.

Tim is a nice dude from all accounts, personally he seems to me to be a manufactured idol in the same vein as Tiger Woods and others in that they're infallable, you cannot attack them personally or professionally....I think he's got amazing football skills, if he did not he would not have had the success in HS, College, and now tasting a little bit in the pros. The guy is a pro no doubt, doesn't mean he's going to be GREAT, but regardless he has made plays in the NFL and neither I or anyone else can deny that.

But the constant praise of Jesus after every game, the constant praying on the sidelines, the constant singing of worship songs.....aside from his right to do it, comes off wrongly just as someone who would praise Allah/Satan/Zeus....or themselves all the time would get on the nerves of people. Most of us prefer others to show some humility and while some may disagree with my following feeling, praising God IMO is just a sneaky way of praising yourself, disguised as praise for something else. "I'd like to praise Jesus/God for...." is really the same as "Look at me, I did a great job for myself/team....etc"

While it seems most religious folk are OK with someone mentioning Jesus every time they start their speech, would they be as OK if someone else were to say "I'd just like to say I don't believe in God, my teammates and I played a great game today".

Again, Bill was being a bit of a dick, but thats who he is, atheist or not. Just as the FoxNews guy telling Bill to #gotohell was just as much a dick move. Figured being a fan of Christ (and Tebow ) he would have turned the other cheek. haha

Old 12-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Why is Tebow being lauded? Obviously God is the one throwing the footballs.

And I agree, I don't see anything wrong with non-believers making jokes about hell, because hell doesn't exist for them. It's like wishing someone into the loving arms of the boogieman.
I once had a friend tell me I was going to hell for some stupid reason, and she is religious. Even though I don't believe in hell AT ALL, I was highly offended. A Christian telling someone they are going to hell means that they put them on par with the worst murderers, rapists, genocide-bent madmen on the planet. Unless they believe in circles of hell...
Anyway, I got really angry and when she pointed out that I didn't believe in hell, I said, "It doesn't matter. YOU do. And you're telling me I'm a horrible person because of such and such..."

Maher just told a really dumb joke that wasn't remotely funny.
But he has a great panel show... with a lot of dumb jokes in the beginning.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
But the constant praise of Jesus after every game, the constant praying on the sidelines, the constant singing of worship songs.....aside from his right to do it, comes off wrongly just as someone who would praise Allah/Satan/Zeus....or themselves all the time would get on the nerves of people. Most of us prefer others to show some humility and while some may disagree with my following feeling, praising God IMO is just a sneaky way of praising yourself, disguised as praise for something else. "I'd like to praise Jesus/God for...." is really the same as "Look at me, I did a great job for myself/team....etc"

While it seems most religious folk are OK with someone mentioning Jesus every time they start their speech, would they be as OK if someone else were to say "I'd just like to say I don't believe in God, my teammates and I played a great game today".
This. And besides that, we're going to build this guy up as though he had practically no flaws of any sort, and then when he does stumble, which he will, because he's human, it's going to be this big deal because, "Oh, my, a Christian fell from grace!"

I don't pay a whit of attention to football, so I've never seen this guy play or heard him talk or anything, but I'm familiar with the hoopla around him. If he wants to believe in God, fine, go for it, matters none to me. But the overzealousness, perceived or real, of it all is often what's always going to drive non-religious people crazy.

And getting upset over Bill's comments-are these people new? He's always been blunt and offensive about religion. You're pretty much giving him fodder by making a big fuss. Besides that, he is entitled to his opinion. One certainly doesn't have to agree with him, of course, but still...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Most of us prefer others to show some humility and while some may disagree with my following feeling, praising God IMO is just a sneaky way of praising yourself, disguised as praise for something else. "I'd like to praise Jesus/God for...." is really the same as "Look at me, I did a great job for myself/team....etc"
I agree with BEAL.

I see this all the time (I work for a small, private Christian college) and even amongst my extended family, you can't really do anything amazing or earn anything spectacular and get a pat on the back for it, the first reaction is just to make some comment about Jesus or prayer. Or, if you're into some hobby or doing a job that they don't think Jesus would endorse (basically anything that isn't being a preacher, working for a church, or teaching in a Christian school) you just get absolutely no acknowledgment whatsoever for your achievements. I earned something last month that maybe 100 people a year earn in the USA but since it didn't involve church, to my family it didn't happen. Oh and if you don't win or get that raise or earn that new certificate, well then you're just not a good enough Christian/didn't pray quite hard enough. Sorry.../rant.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

There are few things I can think of that are more passive aggressive than religion. Whether it's praising Jesus for helping you win a football game (because he prefers your prayers more than anyone's on the other team) or calling your group 'the chosen people', it all reeks of a shitty, holier than thou (literally) attitude. Religious people like to talk about religion as being pure and spiritual and about helping people, but they conveniently ignore the fundamental underlying arrogance
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Well said. I grew up religious (though thankfully my mom is very liberal and neither of my parents are the really touchy-feely-spiritual type) but now the more reflect on it the more I am just embarrassed of how I was raised and how people around me act and treat other people. The worse is that they think they are setting some example of compassion and often have no idea how patronizing and elitist they are acting.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I see this all the time (I work for a small, private Christian college) and even amongst my extended family, you can't really do anything amazing or earn anything spectacular and get a pat on the back for it, the first reaction is just to make some comment about Jesus or prayer. Or, if you're into some hobby or doing a job that they don't think Jesus would endorse (basically anything that isn't being a preacher, working for a church, or teaching in a Christian school) you just get absolutely no acknowledgment whatsoever for your achievements. I earned something last month that maybe 100 people a year earn in the USA but since it didn't involve church, to my family it didn't happen. Oh and if you don't win or get that raise or earn that new certificate, well then you're just not a good enough Christian/didn't pray quite hard enough. Sorry.../rant.
Ergh. That does sound incredibly annoying. I get a kick out of that, too-when something good happens, attribute it to God. When something bad happens, well, clearly it's the human's fault. Or the devil's. Never God's. Doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
There are few things I can think of that are more passive aggressive than religion. Whether it's praising Jesus for helping you win a football game (because he prefers your prayers more than anyone's on the other team) or calling your group 'the chosen people', it all reeks of a shitty, holier than thou (literally) attitude.
Highlighted for truth. Though this whole thing is spot on.

I'd also point out that Bill's not the first guy to call Tebow out on this stuff-Matt Tabbi from Rolling Stone sure seems to have a few things to say about him, too. This is nothing new.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Was it poor taste? Possibly, but if people (and Tebow) are going to give credit to a higher power when things are going well, then it's fair to assume that higher power caused such a poor showing too.
How is he doing that, just by saying his usual thanks to his Lord and Savior (which athletes have been doing forever)? He has said that God has no rooting interest in football and that He has far more important things to worry about, he's not stupid enough to think otherwise. It's other people who are putting that on him. I think he probably thanks God whether he wins or loses. So the tweet really has nothing to do with anything Tim Tebow ever said, not that I know of.

The way Tebow is isn't my style at all but I can ignore it just like I can ignore someone like Maher. Tebow can do what he wants, it doesn't bother or offend me. He's a quarterback, not the President. Until he proves otherwise I give him the benefit of the doubt, and I doubt that he thinks he's perfect. All athletes are imperfect humans who should not be idolized.

All religious people are NOT like Tim Tebow . If you say that then you can say that all atheists are like Bill Maher. I don't give a damn what Maher's beliefs are or what he says about religion. As a person I just think he's an arrogant ass . He is every bit the smug know it all that he thinks all religious people are. That's the way it goes in life, religious or not. I guess I forget that he's supposed be be a comedian? Cause I don't think he's all that funny.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't follow Timmy enough to know if he does give praise even after losses (I assume he does). I guess I didn't intend to stress my point being the lord giveth and the lord taketh away....the issue there is Tebow brings up Jesus all the time, so regardless of his intentions of his words, giving thanks that much can give the perception that he's blessed for all the good that comes his way. I don't think he's openly said God has helped him win the game, other than to give him strength....and I'm sure his intention is that God gives him strength when he completely falls apart against the Buffalo Bills

I think the bigger issue is the outrage for Bill being a dick towards Tebow and his faith, would that same outrage be there if an athlete (or anyone) were to come out and openly state they do not believe in God before giving a statement or summary on a current event?

Would religious folk be able to just let that go as us non believers are told to do the same? Does the same outrage exist if someone of power/fame on the religious side were to tweet or print "Guess God gave Hitchens what he justly deserved!!!"?

Bill is a dick, no argument. I agree with his statements on religion, and I even said he probably went about this the wrong way, but he's a tv show host and all he did was create publicity for his show, it was a smart move marketing wise for him, even if it meant harming another person's feelings.

Everyone would be best if they'd just keep to themselves more often.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Then there would be no freeing of the minds.

'Everyone would be best if they'd contain their outrage to statements that apply to them only' is a much better exercise.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I wouldn't care if an athlete or any other famous person admitted to atheism. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

For the record, I wasn't one of those people cheering for Hitchens' death. I never read any of his works, even his works not related to religion. So I had no reaction to his death.

As for Tebow, I think he should pray for other things besides playing football. There's high unemployment, a famine in Africa, human trafficking, etc. That is something worth praying about. Not a shallow thing as a football game (Pardon me if I offend any sports fans out there!).
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not at all "outraged" about his tweet or anything else he says, and no I wouldn't care if any athlete said they didn't believe in God before or after a game or anywhere else. That's 100% their right to think and to say. I think perhaps some people think all "religious people" would be somehow freaked out by that, and it's just not true. Like I've said here before, I don't know exactly how "being religious" is defined-I define it for myself, not for anyone else, and I don't hold others to some sort of definition.

Yes he creates publicity for himself and this is what he loves, I said that already
Old 12-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

But would FoxNews care if an athlete or celebrity stated they don't believe in God.....
Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But would FoxNews care if an athlete or celebrity stated they don't believe in God.....
Well FOX does not represent Christianity or way more often than not even rational thought

Actually someone from FOX said basically who cares about what Maher said, he's a comedian etc. I'd have to go back and look it up.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
As for Tebow, I think he should pray for other things besides playing football. There's high unemployment, a famine in Africa, human trafficking, etc. That is something worth praying about. Not a shallow thing as a football game (Pardon me if I offend any sports fans out there!).
I assume that he does. He's done missionary work, spoken in prisons, hospitals, orphanages. Even when he was in college. So I don't think he confines his prayer to football games