Bill Maher-Victim Of Religious Discrimination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fully agree, Sean. I've always said that pro-choice means just that: pro-choice. I don't care if a woman has an abortion, keeps her baby, or gives it up for adoption. Whatever choice she makes, I don't feel it's my place to tell her she can't go with that option. She must do what is right and safe for her and her unborn/baby.

I fully agree, Sean. I've always said that pro-choice means just that: pro-choice. I don't care if a woman has an abortion, keeps her baby, or gives it up for adoption. Whatever choice she makes, I don't feel it's my place to tell her she can't go with that option. She must do what is right and safe for her and her unborn/baby.

I don't think you'll find anyone who is pro choice who would disagree with that. It's not the issue we have with the ad.

Eh, that's the "message" of any celebrity endorsement, if you believe that's what the message is.

I haven't seen the ad so I can't say whether the suggestion is that her decision was especially good because of who he turned out to be. (And even so that trope is not unheard of in pro-life arguments: What is Famous Person X's mother had an abortion then we would never have had Famous Person's Accomplsihment. Who knows if we might be aborting the person who cures cancer blah blah blah. Aborted fetus could also be a future ax-murderer but I'm pretty sure that who the fetus might turn out to be is in all honesty incidental to most pro-life proponents) It could also be argued that he's simply saying here's a famous face to put to a story of a situation that many women have to face.

I don't know. No one's convinced me that the outrage is called for. :shrug:

Well I can't speak for Peef (though I think you might be extrapolating a bit from his comment), but my issue with the ad is that they're quantifying human life; that aborting Tebow would've been a bigger disservice to the world than aborting Boxcar Willy. What the child accomplishes when they grow up shouldn't enter into your decision. It's a nonfactor, really, and just a cheap appeal

Well I can't speak for Peef (though I think you might be extrapolating a bit from his comment), but my issue with the ad is that they're quantifying human life; that aborting Tebow would've been a bigger disservice to the world than aborting Boxcar Willy. What the child accomplishes when they grow up shouldn't enter into your decision. It's a nonfactor, really, and just a cheap appeal

I guess I should go watch the ad first before commenting further.

Unless, you're suggesting abortions when the mother's life/health is at risk be made compuslory, I think Tebow's mother made the choice/took the risk that she felt comfortable taking. It was her body, her life at stake. Isn't that the very defintion of choice?

absolutely. very well put.

it's just the Teabow's thinking they know what's best for everyone that irks.

The key word in here is CHOICE.

Those "I chose to have my child" messages coming from pro-life organizations/people are ironic to me.

My response to that commercial at the time was: Yes, isn't it wonderful that you had a choice? That you were able to weigh your options, their repercussions and the risks and make the decision according to what was best for you?

I didn't take issue with it because of the "I could have aborted a future QB" aspect.

It might be worth remembering who didn't have a choice, who didn't have a say in the decision.

Yes, but if you were to wait for that clump of cells to develop into a human being who can make thoughtful decisions, then that's, like, the 81st trimester.

No way are those ever becoming legal.

Yes, but if you were to wait for that clump of cells to develop into a human being who can make thoughtful decisions, then that's, like, the 81st trimester.

No way are those ever becoming legal.

All I'm saying is when Mark Zuckerberg figures out how to get fetuses hooked up to Facebook let's just see how many of them "like :up:" Planned Parenthood, NARAL, or Roe V. Wade.

Yes, but they'd also "like" Justin Bieber, so you can't really trust them with big decisions.

(I'm being flippant because it's easier than delving into yet another exhausting and upsetting abortion argument when neither side will ever change their minds.

So I'll just add that regardless of whether or not I could ever personally make that decision, I would prefer that the government, whether at the state or federal level, not have control over my body.)

maycocksean said:
It's not?

i think it is irresponsible to say you should ignore your doctors because your kid might be a charming successful pro athlete, yes. there is a difference between being open about it and making an ad that airs during the super bowl for a political lobbying group.

I think he better research every request thoroughly before he agrees to it. I'm also glad that I saved that Jockey pic before they took that off their site. I don't know if he asked them to, maybe had a change of heart about that. I think it was fine myself :D

I read that Kim Kardashian wants to date him. Run for your life Tim!

Supposedly Katy Perry wants to date him too. Lindsey Vonn. He's a chick magnet.

A spokesman for Tim Tebow says he's canceling an appearance at a revival organized by a controversial Ohio preacher.

The star Denver Broncos quarterback – and outspoken Christian – was scheduled to speak at a Columbus event in March led by televangelist Rod Parsley.

Tebow's brother Robbie said Wednesday he's cancelling the talk. Robbie Tebow says Tim's speakers' bureau hadn't researched the event before saying yes to the invitation.

Parsley teaches that God wants the faithful to be rich. Last year, he asked followers to donate more than $1 million to ward off satanic attacks. In the 2008 presidential election, Republican Sen. John McCain disowned an endorsement from Parsley after learning the pastor called Islam an "anti-Christ" religion.

A Parsley spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

Jeremy Lin did it again on Tuesday night, this time saving the Knicks in Toronto.

nesn.com

Jeremy Lin Fuels Tim Tebow Comparisons With Another 'Miracle,' Says 'God's Fingerprints' Are All Over His Story

The breakout guard's 3-pointer with 0.5 seconds to play on the clock led the Knicks to another win and in the process, further enhanced Lin's growing legacy.

Naturally, Lin was the toast of the town on Wednesday morning in New York, giving the New York tabloids the chance to show off their best headline writing. The Metro went with "Bling!" while the New York Post opted for "Thrillin" with its own Lin pun.

The New York Daily News may have taken the cake with the "Lin and a Prayer" headline. That's the one that may fit Lin -- at least his postgame comments -- the best. Those are the same postgame comments that will continue to earn Lin comparisons to Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

"Anytime something like this happens," Lin said after the game, "a lot of stuff has to be put into place, and a lot of it is out of my control. If you look back at my story, doesn't matter where you look, but God's fingerprints are all over the place where there have been a lot of things that had to happen that I couldn't control.

"You can try to call it a coincidence," he added," but at the end of the day, there are 20, 30 things when you combine them all that had to happen at the right time in order for me to be here. That's why I call it a miracle. ... I think it's a miracle from God."

The real miracle, much like the Broncos' Tebow-led push to the playoffs, may be the Knicks' success since Lin has taken the reins. New York has now won six straight, with Lin playing at least 36 minutes in each and starting five of those contests.

The comparisons, however, may be limited to late-game magic and public professions of faith, as Lin continues to prove that he can certainly ball.

It's unclear when Lin's run will come to an end -- if it will at all -- but for now at least, the Harvard grad has the sports world captivated just like that Tebow guy.

peyton-manning-horns-e1328730869138.jpg

el diablo!

Almost on 3 16 too

I wish Tebow would come here. Would do nothing for the team but just to hear the talk radio guys nut out. It would be so entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom