Believers have better sex - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Believers have better sex

Ok so that's not what this article is about but it IS in there.

Rather, what I found interesting was the AWARE study that will attempt to prove the separation of consciousness from the physical brain.

D'Souza's New Book Promises Proof of the Afterlife | Newsweek Books | Newsweek.com

Quote:
The AWARE study ("Awareness During Resuscitation") is looking at "near-death experiences" (NDEs)—the recollections of people who were revived after clinical death, defined as the absence of heartbeat and the cessation of measurable electrical activity in the brain. People with NDEs sometimes report out-of-body experiences, such as looking down on themselves from above and witnessing their own resuscitations. Obviously, if this is actually taking place—and not, say, a composite reconstruction of memories drawn from years of ER episodes—then the threshold requirement for life after death has been met: the separation of consciousness from the physical brain. "Near-death experiences show that clinical death may not be the end," D'Souza writes. Thus they support his larger point, that "neuroscience reveals that the mind cannot be reduced to the brain … consciousness and free will … seem to operate outside the laws of nature, and therefore are not subject to the laws governing the mortality of the body." The latter assertion has been at the crux of Western philosophy since Plato, but it's taken until now to devise an empirical test for it. In the AWARE study, randomly generated images will be projected in the rooms of critically ill patients, in locations where they can be viewed only from above—by someone having an out-of-body experience, for instance. If patients who survive NDEs can identify these images subsequently—well, not to overdramatize, but several centuries of materialism in the natural sciences will have to be rewritten.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:27 PM
There is a joke in there somewhere I just haven't found it yet

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Just a reminder,
God invented sex.

Just one of the reasons I am so thankful.

Gotta love that rebel from Nazareth
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

"Believers have better sex"

That's probably because they get a thrill out of thinking someone's watching.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
D'Souza provides a checklist of benefits from believing in life after death: it keeps us honest, gives our lives "a sense of hope and purpose"—and "surveys show" that believers have better sex. It provides "a mechanism to teach our children right from wrong"—a mechanism that those who have been subjected to it tend to describe as a neurotic lifelong fear of going to Hell. And if your smart-alecky kid, full of all that Galileo stuff they get in school nowadays, should ask just where this Judgment business takes place, D'Souza provides you with a response. It happens in the multiverse, the infinitely multiplying complex of worlds predicted by some versions of quantum theory. In the multiverse, physical laws can take on different values, and matter itself may have a different form, so "there is nothing in physics to contradict the idea that we can live beyond death in other realms with bodies that are unlike the bodies we now possess."
I believe in the afterlife and I do not have a "neurotic lifelong fear" of Hell. I believe that if we are connected to something bigger than us in life, why not when we die as well?

As for what happens to us when we die, I haven't really thought much about it since I believe life is a gift and it should be celebrated. But what little I have thought is that our job on earth is to enrich our souls enough so that they would live beyond death. In other words, if you don't follow or live your soul out, you probably won't exist once you are dead.

I'm not so sure if Hell exists, though for certain people I hope it does.

Perhaps we could discuss what happens to us when we die?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Gotta love that rebel from Nazareth
Well technically speaking this depends on denomination if you believe Jesus had anything to do with it...

Some seperate the Father, Son, and Spirit a little more than others.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

giggity.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post

Perhaps we could discuss what happens to us when we die?
I recently had a family member pass away, so this has been at the forefront of my mind for the past little while. I wouldnt call myself religious. I tend to think that organized religion would rather look after itself than its people or the greater good of the human race. That being said, I'm much more of an agnostic than an atheist. I believe in evolution, I believe in the big bang, I believe in the things that science has proven, but religion continues to turn a blind eye to. But I also believe that its possible theres something out there that perhaps could be guiding us along, or at the very least, had set the ball in motion. There are strange anecdotes, both personal and from close family members, that make me think an existence outside our own isnt so far fetched. I came across this documentary a couple weeks ago and found it to be quite interesting. Its a little long, but if you have the time, it might be worth checking out

The Day I Died
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I recently had a family member pass away,
My sympathies to you and your family. I did too - breast cancer in October of all times.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
War Child

It's not necessarily better, they just have something to scream out when they climax.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The quantum world has many things that make you wonder about God...
Really, really, fascinating things. I don't mean Quantum bullshit mysticism, that you see in films like "What the bleep do we know?" I mean, hard science that has no real current explanation, just theories. There is so much fascinating shit going on in quantum physics, it's a shame more people don't take interest.

We don't know what most of the observable universe even is.
No, that doesn't lead itself to a supernatural conclusion but it has to say something about the limits of our understanding. Dark matter and dark energy comprise (I forget the exact number) a HUGE portion of our observable universe. And yet, nobody can really tell you what it is.

It's incredible stuff really, but of course, this God would be nothing resembling the dogmatic fairy tales. So I am sure there is a large segment of believers who would still shun any such "proof".

Who doesn't love irony?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

i enjoy the Stigmata position.

giggity.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i enjoy the Stigmata position.

giggity.
I'm partial to a nice Mexican Halloween.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
It's incredible stuff really, but of course, this God would be nothing resembling the dogmatic fairy tales. So I am sure there is a large segment of believers who would still shun any such "proof".
If I were to study quantum physics, it wouldn't rattle how I see God or anything. It would just allow me to see God in a different light, I'm sure.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Would you also, consider similar 'sound' science, where a God appears to have created us originally as primates?

Because I am mostly talking about believers who wouldn't.

Even though the science is quite obviously telling us the same thing over and over again.

For some, this has changed their belief in God, given it a new light, I suppose I am talking about believers who have no interest in considering God in a new light. Because they won't consider this 'certain something' that is all but completely proven.