BBC: What Happened to Global Warming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a stupid blog, written by a seemingly unintelligent person.

Which in itself would not bother me, but the many, many other offensive entries there including the gem about the Islamic "tradition" of desecrating other people's holy sites, push me over the edge.

Why do you insist on posting such drivel?

Are blogs no longer valid?
when presenting an argument, yeah. for example, if someone wrote a research paper, do you think it'd be acceptable for them to cite a blog as a source? not a blog by a well-respected journalist or with a position of authority on the issue of the paper, just a blogger. of course not.

i can write a blog about that the sky isn't blue, it's actually purple, but that doesn't make it so.

There was so much snow in Ireland before there was any kind of substantial snow in New England (up until a couple of days ago there wasn't).

That is some craziness there-that's all.

Are blogs no longer valid?

You're a teacher, right? Say you have a student who writes a report arguing that the Earth is flat. The only sources he uses are anonymous blogs, he offers no corroborating evidence from established experts and scientific studies, and he doesn't even attempt to address evidence that contradicts his position.

Would you be satisfied with his report?

I'm really confused as to why you seem to so freely accept this Global Warming Theory.

It seems to be so popular.

And...

I'm about sick of the propaganda to save the earth.

Go green?

It would be nice if our efforts were more directed to helping people.

I'm really confused as to why you seem to so freely accept this Global Warming Theory.

I'm confused as to why you seem to so freely ignore the mountains of scientifically tested and peer-evaluated evidence supporting this Global Warming Theory.

Heck, it would also be nice if you actually responded to questions asked directly of you, rather than simply posing questions in response without actually engaging in dialogue, but hey, nobody's perfect. :shrug:

Besides, I fail to see how reducing pollution and promoting more economical use of natural resources doesn't help people.

Go green?

Go to the African continent.

Take a look around at what global warming has done to previously arable land. And how that has hurt the people there.

Why do you hate Africans?

I'm about sick of the propaganda to save the earth.

Here's an example of your last few sources:

A personal opinion piece on the Civl War full of lies.

A blog about global warming that was full of simpleton science and hateful tangents.

A "government was behind 9/11" website.

An article that claimed aspertine was created to enslave humanity.

And a website claiming 1500 scientist don't believe in climate change and come to find out anyone with a bachelor of science no matter if it was in architecture of basket weaving could sign it(and didn't even have to prove they had a bachelor of science).

And we're the ones that fall for propaganda?

Here's an example of your last few sources:

A personal opinion piece on the Civl War full of lies.

A blog about global warming that was full of simpleton science and hateful tangents.

A "government was behind 9/11" website.

An article that claimed aspertine was created to enslave humanity.

And a website claiming 1500 scientist don't believe in climate change and come to find out anyone with a bachelor of science no matter if it was in architecture of basket weaving could sign it(and didn't even have to prove they had a bachelor of science).

And we're the ones that fall for propaganda?

On what link did I post a lie?

Well lots of them...

But the one I was addressing in that post is your recent post about the Civl War, the blog was full of lies, and they were all pointed out to you.

We haven't been keeping records for the entire history of planet earth for us to recognize a genuine worrisome change in climate. The university in the UK was found to using fraudulent data on how human activity and its affect on climate. If human's were responsible then I should be able to travel to Exeter far easier than I can already. It is 50 minutes by car. It takes 1 and a half hours by train.

The BBC are known for being a liberal corporation and consequently there is another program on this issue on BBC2 this week. Surprise surprise, the left leaning publication The Radio Times gives it a write up. So human activity is responsible for global warming is it? So why did the BBC sent 20 reporters and camera crews to film the Chilian mine rescue? Why doesn't The Radio Times stop wasting paper on its weekly TV magazine and go online instead? You don't hear the editor complaining about all the chopped trees being utilized on its publication do you? Hippocaites, the lot of them.

I don't know.

Do you check the reliability of your sources?

More fun:
AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Snowstorm Shatters New York City, Philadelphia Records

Could you please explain why you think that record snows indicate a fault in the argument for global warming? Is your thinking that if global warming is real, then our winters would be milder? If so, I can understand that impulse, but it's misguided.

Why Global Warming Can Mean Harsher Winter Weather: Scientific American

“You can’t tell much about the climate or where it’s headed by focusing on a particularly frigid day, or season, or year, even,” writes Eoin O’Carroll of the Christian Science Monitor. “It’s all in the long-term trends,” concurs Dr. Gavin Schmidt, a climatologist at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

Most scientists agree that we need to differentiate between weather and climate. The NOAA defines climate as the average of weather over at least a 30-year period. So periodic aberrations—like the harsh winter storms ravaging the Southeast and other parts of the country this winter—do not call the science of human-induced global warming into question.

The flip side of the question, of course, is whether global warming is at least partly to blame for especially harsh winter weather. As we pointed out in a recent EarthTalk column, warmer temperatures in the winter of 2006 caused Lake Erie to not freeze for the first time in its history. This actually led to increased snowfalls because more evaporating water from the lake was available for precipitation.

But while more extreme weather events of all kinds—from snowstorms to hurricanes to droughts—are likely side effects of a climate in transition, most scientists maintain that any year-to-year variation in weather cannot be linked directly to either a warming or cooling climate.

Even most global warming skeptics agree that a specific cold snap or freak storm doesn’t have any bearing on whether or not the climate problem is real.
One such skeptic, Jimmy Hogan of the Rational Environmentalist website writes, “If we are throwing out anecdotal evidence that refutes global warming we must at the same time throw out anecdotal evidence that supports it.”

(bold emphasis mine)

Also, noting the above example of Lake Erie, keep in mind that the link you posted is about record snows, not record lows.

Last edited:
Not to mention, you DO need warm, moist air to help create storms. The warmer the air against the cold air that comes with it, the stronger the system and storms can be. Doesn't anyone else notice that the temperature tends to be warmer right before a storm? Not always, of course, there are exceptions, but still...

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom