Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #571
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I'm very much in favor of open debate and discussion,
That seems a little disingenuous when you rarely answer direct questions.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #572
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:06 AM
links are facts, y'all.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #573
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

2+2=5 and i have proof: 2 + 2 = 5

check and mate.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #574
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Why don't you post a link here to prove we will all die from global warming.

I'm very much in favor of open debate and discussion, but let's be a little more open to hearing both sides.
Dear Christ.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #575
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
That seems a little disingenuous when you rarely answer direct questions.

Ask me a question on global warming or climate change.

I will try to answer.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #576
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Quote:

I will try to answer.
I will bite.

What makes you think that the antithesis to your position on climate change is that "we will all die from global warming"?

I'm a lurker on this forum; I rarely post. But I have to say that a lot of the discourse in this thread is simply disingenuous and sometimes downright facetious. As with all complicated issues, nuance is key. There are ignorants on both sides of this issue.

We will not "all die from climate change", nor will the planet be destroyed. The planet will be fine, and so will most of us. Conversely, it is simply willful ignorance to deny basic, well documented scientific facts - the earth is indeed warming and this affects climate; CO2 and other gases do cause a greenhouse effect.

The scientific debate is not WHETHER there is climate change or whether we contribute to it with our activities; this is well received. The question is around the EXTENT of the impact that it will have. What will happen if the Earth warms by 2C? 3C? 4C? How will the climate be affected, which regions will be affected first and how, what geopolitical and medical issues is all this going to cause, how much is this going to cost? This is uncertain. You will find people arguing on the optimistic and pessimistic end of things on this one. Some will say, let's wait and see, we can adapt. Others will argue that adaptation will be too expensive and that it is much cheaper to reduce our emissions now, in addition to all the other positive effects of working toward sustainable human and industrial activity. We will probably end up doing both.

I have to deal with this issue on a daily basis. All I'm saying is this: ignore the demagogues on both sides, look at the facts, and engage in constructive discourse. This is a fascinating issue and it needs good minds.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #577
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:06 AM

This is a very amusing and informative lecture.

A23A
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #578
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

I will try to answer.
These haven't been answered yet:

Quote:
You're a teacher, right? Say you have a student who writes a report arguing that the Earth is flat. The only sources he uses are anonymous blogs, he offers no corroborating evidence from established experts and scientific studies, and he doesn't even attempt to address evidence that contradicts his position.

Would you be satisfied with his report?
Quote:
Just curious, iron horse - what do you make of the fact that the overwhelming majority of scientists agree that climate change is real and can back it up with rigorously tested and independently verifiable data?
Quote:
Could you please explain why you think that record snows indicate a fault in the argument for global warming? Is your thinking that if global warming is real, then our winters would be milder?
And that's just the last two pages.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #579
Refugee

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #580
has a

Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #581
Blue Crack Distributor

Snowtorious B.I.G. proves that global warming exists. Dennis Quaid told us so.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #582
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:06 AM
El Niño-Southern Oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

La Niña - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
But then, it also contributed to the deluge in Australia, which resulted in one of that country's worst natural disasters with large parts of the north-east under water. It wreaked similar havoc in south-eastern Brazil and played a part in the heavy rains and consequent flooding that have affected Sri Lanka.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Not to mention, you DO need warm, moist air to help create storms. The warmer the air against the cold air that comes with it, the stronger the system and storms can be.

There was a physicist on the Today Show a couple of weeks ago who talked about this exact thing-the warm moist air in the Gulf Of Mexico and how that combines with the patterns and the cold up north, etc. etc. Now how that warmth is created, well I suppose that's up for debate. But as long as I've lived I have never experienced a winter like this one. It's not normal because "well it snows there in the winter". This is extreme and all of my instincts tell me why it's happening. We had a snowstorm yesterday, snow and tons of sleet today (the most brutal to try to get around in and to shovel) and more snow coming Saturday. There is literally nowhere to put it, it looks like the North Pole on steroids.

It's like a natural disaster that just keeps happening two or three or more times a week. Roofs are collapsing, and God only knows what's yet to come. That Punksawhatever Phil better be right, or I will be number 1 on PETA's most wanted list.

As bad as it might look on a news story-you really have no idea how bad it actually is. It takes a real toll on your psyche too.

Oh and there's a huge cyclone in Australia
Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #584
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
There was a physicist on the Today Show a couple of weeks ago who talked about this exact thing-the warm moist air in the Gulf Of Mexico and how that combines with the patterns and the cold up north, etc. etc. Now how that warmth is created, well I suppose that's up for debate. But as long as I've lived I have never experienced a winter like this one. It's not normal because "well it snows there in the winter". This is extreme and all of my instincts tell me why it's happening. We had a snowstorm yesterday, snow and tons of sleet today (the most brutal to try to get around in and to shovel) and more snow coming Saturday. There is literally nowhere to put it, it looks like the North Pole on steroids.
Exactly. And of course, I don't dispute that some of these unusual weather phenomenons are just results of the earth going through some natural shifts-that does happen every so often and that part of it all there's really nothing we can do about.

But to deny the fact that this is happening at all, and for people to never, EVER think to bring up the simple fact about the warm air and all that on TV, just floors me. My god, that's something you learn in freakin' elementary school. I mean, I'm no science genius, and maybe the fact that I'm a bit of a nerd about weather factors into this as well, but it really amazes me that your average person seems so ignorant of those facts.

Quote:
It's like a natural disaster that just keeps happening two or three or more times a week. Roofs are collapsing, and God only knows what's yet to come. That Punksawhatever Phil better be right, or I will be number 1 on PETA's most wanted list.

As bad as it might look on a news story-you really have no idea how bad it actually is. It takes a real toll on your psyche too.
LOL. Yeah, I understand . I love winter, myself, but I gotta say, if I were living out in the northeastern U.S. right now, having to wade my way through the endless stream of snow, I'd be getting a bit fed up as well. It's been pretty hectic here in the last couple months and we haven't experienced anywhere near the nasty winter some have. It's been a pretty tough one, yes, but others have us beat.

Quote:
Oh and there's a huge cyclone in Australia
Ugh, yes, heard about that, too. 'Cause, you know, it's not like they haven't suffered enough already with the wildfires and the flooding.

Angela
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #585
Rock n' Roll Doggie

AlGore.com