BBC: What Happened to Global Warming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting news from... Rupert Murdoch. That's right.

News Corp. Is Now Carbon-Neutral, Murdoch Declares

What is your point? We don't need Lisa Jackson if it can be done on their own. :doh: If people can save money while reducing emissions because their industry can do that, then great! I'm sure other industries can't be carbon neutral and produce at the same level without fossil fuels.

What is your point? We don't need Lisa Jackson if it can be done on their own. :doh: If people can save money while reducing emissions because their industry can do that, then great! I'm sure other industries can't be carbon neutral and produce at the same level without fossil fuels.
Maybe his point was posting an article about a company being carbon neutral and nothing more.

Maybe you are the most ultra defensive poster in history.

Maybe his point was posting an article about a company being carbon neutral and nothing more.

Maybe you are the most ultra defensive poster in history.

Maybe if people weren't so offensive (hey lets tax cheap energy like crazy) on the subject there wouldn't be so much defensiveness. :shrug: BTW there aren't too many posters on my side so I'm answering lots of people at once.

EDIT: If Badyouken isn't using this for his argument then Lisa Jackson certainly is.

I'm not running out of arguments. You keep the same drum beat of asking for more taxes but are vague and or apologetic about the costs. All R & D spending will be limited and we've already gone over this. I'm sure some companies see "tremendous opportunities", except it's a shame that other opportunities have to be heavily taxed because without the tax apparently those opportunites aren't so good.

I've been very clear about the scale of the problem and the costs. Making the transition to a new energy system will not be cheap, but it is crucial. The far-reaching costs of climate change will also not be cheap.

Energy R&D is crucial (even if a little inefficient) but it is very, very underfunded at the moment -- it will be even more underfunded if the House has its way in the US.

As for taxes, I think we've discussed this enough already and can see our divergence of opinion: 1) these 'other opportunities' are currently heavily subsidized, let's start by eliminating this situation (and you agree on this); 2) the concept of a carbon price (or tax if you prefer) is to reflect the true cost of CO2 emissions, which is and will be borne by the public (and you disagree on this). These "taxes" are not technology specific, but emission specific. Alternative energy sources that emit CO2 would be "taxed", just like coal-based emissions would be taxed.

It doesn't make any sense? That's why it is not used in real life. It's "no cost" but we need to increase taxes (AKA "costs") to help feeble solutions (solar/wind) that don't even compete with nuclear power. Once a breakthrough occurs in R & D I can assure you that profit seekers will be seeking it out.

I'll come back to the "it's not used in real life" in another post (that was the point of the Rupert Murdoch article).

I agree that market uptake will drive change. We simply disagree on how, and especially for what reason, this should happen.

How is it nothing to allow options to compete against each other? How is it nothing to support R & D on new technologies? How about tax credits for research and development. It doesn't have to go live on a large scale with the general public as a guinea pig.

I was responding to our differences of opinion on the science which is kind of important since basing a premise on what people like me find a false science has an effect on how drastic carbon taxes would be applied.

And this is the crux of our disagreement. If you "believed" that GHG emissions had an adverse impact on the environment and the economy, you would be taking a different stance. A tax on tobacco is fine, we know the adverse effects. A tax on SO2 emissions is fine, we know the adverse effects. A tax on CO2? Well if you don't believe there are any adverse effects, you won't agree with it, and you won't be inclined to see that our current energy markets are anything but a level playing field.

If you believe in man-made global warming then Canada should be a perfect place to live.

Haha.

Well, I had two reasons to post this.

First, I think it's amusing to see Rupert Murdoch touting the benefits of energy efficiency and carbon neutrality, given what the lovely Fox News says. That said, the guy is just a savvy business man, he knows what pays.

Second, I just wanted to show a recent example of a company that not only reduced its emissions but did so profitably. You seemed to be doubting that this was feasible.

Now, of course Lisa Jackson and the EPA will welcome this. But this is in no way an argument against the EPA's actions. There is a difference between an organization that sees fossil energy use as a cost (e.g. NewsCorp) and an organization that sees fossil energy use as a revenue (e.g. coal-fired power plant). The former has an incentive to reduce its footprint (and that incentive would be even greater if carbon was priced), while the latter has an incentive to increase its footprint. Currently, EPA is trying to act on the latter by establishing performance-based emission limits on some industrial activities (power plants, industrial boilers) - a very mild action in reality.

If people can save money while reducing emissions because their industry can do that, then great! I'm sure other industries can't be carbon neutral and produce at the same level without fossil fuels.

Why would this be great? If carbon isn't harmful, in fact some of your junk science claims the more the merrier then why would this be great?

Seems like you're not even convince of your own "science".

Why would this be great? If carbon isn't harmful, in fact some of your junk science claims the more the merrier then why would this be great?

Great because they saved money.

You don't need to "believe" in climate change to want to reduce your energy / fossil energy use if it saves you money. Given the state of the 'debate' on climate change and the state of the world's economy, I think that the rising price of oil and other commodities will probably make us change our ways as much if not more than international environmental plans...

Great because they saved money.

You don't need to "believe" in climate change to want to reduce your energy / fossil energy use if it saves you money. Given the state of the 'debate' on climate change and the state of the world's economy, I think that the rising price of oil and other commodities will probably make us change our ways as much if not more than international environmental plans...

But Oscar supposedly believes the more Carbon the better, does he really not believe this or is saving money the bottom line?

If we can save money by killing 12 orphans would that be "great" too?

But Oscar supposedly believes the more Carbon the better, does he really not believe this or is saving money the bottom line?

If we can save money by killing 12 orphans would that be "great" too?

Haha ok, I'll let you two debate that one.

I've been very clear about the scale of the problem and the costs. Making the transition to a new energy system will not be cheap, but it is crucial. The far-reaching costs of climate change will also not be cheap.

"Climate Change" is just Newspeak for man-made climate change. How about allowing developing countries to be rich enough to protect themselves against real natural climate change?

Energy R&D is crucial (even if a little inefficient) but it is very, very underfunded at the moment -- it will be even more underfunded if the House has its way in the US.

The House better have its way because the obvious debt problems and sluggish economy we discussed earlier. Stagflation is starting and I don't want it to accelerate. I also don't think IPCC is without corruption so taxdollars shouldn't follow it on principle.

And this is the crux of our disagreement. If you "believed" that GHG emissions had an adverse impact on the environment and the economy, you would be taking a different stance. A tax on tobacco is fine, we know the adverse effects. A tax on SO2 emissions is fine, we know the adverse effects. A tax on CO2? Well if you don't believe there are any adverse effects, you won't agree with it, and you won't be inclined to see that our current energy markets are anything but a level playing field.

In the end that's mostly right. I don't believe human CO2 has such a huge role in driving temperatures compared to other natural sources and I feel that much of the "connect the dots" of the AGW theory with every storm is agitation-propaganda. It feels reductive since nature has thrown much more wild stuff our way. To walk around thinking that our existence is ending the planet to me is a mental concept that is neurotic and feels completely unhealthy. To look at a storm, flood, or drought and to feel guilt everytime seems to me like brainwashing from constant propaganda. When I was a kid heat waves and cold snaps were simply that.

BTW keep in mind that doing without tobacco and doing without CO2 are on different galaxies in scale.:wink:

Wasn't there a study a few years ago that showed that conservatives were having more and kinkier sex? Then why are they always so god damned irritable?

I'd say fuck you, but it clearly ain't working.

:lol: The left tends to that have that effect on us. We look at them as envious people that want to stamp their feet on us like in 1984 and make us miserable and defeated. It tends to irritate us.

Seems like you're not even convince of your own "science".

There are those who say that 1000ppm would be a great benefit for plants and we will probably reach there but plants exist in enough quantities as is and we have enough methods to feed the planet already. We still have to replace fossil fuels with something that either recycles CO2 or we build a whole bunch of thorium reactors. This process will take at least a century if not more.

http://www.iwp.edu/docLib/20110227_Archibald_IWP.pdf
(see slide 21 for CO2 levels).

Clean wind power doesn't just mean windmills:

Sky_Sails1.jpg

SkySails�-�SkySails for Cargo Ships

SkySails for cargo Ships
Wind power used profitably
It is a simple fact: Wind is cheaper than oil and the most economic and environmentally sound source of energy on the high seas. And yet, shipping companies are not taking advantage of this attractive savings potential at present - for a simple reason: So far no sail system has been able to meet the requirements of today's maritime shipping industry.

SkySails is offering the only wind propulsion system which meets all these requirements.

Depending on the prevailing wind conditions, a ship’s average annual fuel costs can be reduced by 10 to 35% by using the SkySails-System. Under optimal wind conditions, fuel consumption can temporarily be cut by up to 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom