BBC: What Happened to Global Warming? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Here's a small list of deniers. Some of them are open to the idea but they don't feel there's enough evidence and others just plain don't like most of the science.

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW you can't call U.N. "reviewers" climatologists either.
Small list indeed, and yes I'm aware it's not only climatologists but I would think you would still get my point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Well since it's well known that people who support green ideas tend to vote for socialist parties I don't see what's so controversial.
It's these generalities that take away so much from your posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I see this as a problem why don't you?
And it's comments like this that make it even harder to take anything you write seriously.

I never said it wasn't a "problem" it's just not an argument against global warming. Should I use Rush's hypocricy as an argument against all conservatism? That would be stupid right?
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Small list indeed, and yes I'm aware it's not only climatologists but I would think you would still get my point.
I do get your point. The science in my side is hard to find but that doesn't mean it isn't there. So go look for it. The argument scientists can't agree on is the effect of water vapour (the largest greenhouse gas) on temperature. Is there positive or negative feedback?

This is the site the probably gets the most updates on that argument:

Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

This is because of the satellites he's using. But again we are not scientists so we have to judge the problem based on competing scientists views and having a skepticism on MANY past wrong predictions by scientists I've learned not to respond to their constant alarmism of "JUMP!" with "How high?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It's these generalities that take away so much from your posts.
The political divide is clear to me. No not all in conservative parties are against the idea of man-made global warming but the generality is quite accurate in most instances. Even Al Gore is talking about "global governance". To me it's the usual suspects again and again.

Even if conservatives adopted the idea and supported fully cap and trade you would have to wonder how that would contradict conservative pro-economic growth stances they've taken in the past few decades. McCain wanted to support cap and trade but also "drill baby drill" and increase nuclear power plants to do the heavy lifting of reducing C02 emissions so the impact on growth would be minimal. Many conservatives would like to see a replacement for gas because energy independence would create more security for the west without having the cartel interfere in the economy because of our stances on middle eastern politics. Yet no other technology is close to nuclear and nuclear is pursued more in Europe than in N. America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And it's comments like this that make it even harder to take anything you write seriously.

I never said it wasn't a "problem" it's just not an argument against global warming. Should I use Rush's hypocricy as an argument against all conservatism? That would be stupid right?
I think my post is very clear. If there is impending doom coming most humans react quickly. The reason humans don't react (including the "green" rich) is because they don't intend on living this lifestyle, but they want YOU to.

It is also an argument against drastic action towards man-made global warming because if it's less costly to adapt to warm weather than to destroy our standard of living then that is another option that we should be looking at instead of forcing ourselves on an energy diet we don't intend to keep (especially those who implement the plan).
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i bought a big laser so i could blast holes in the ozone layer myself

(the laser runs on kittens and produces 500 tons of methane every second.)
een, is this true???
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #34
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:41 PM
House #1
A 20 room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400 per month. In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern ’snow belt’ area. It’s in the South.



House #2
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university.
This house incorporates every ‘green’ feature current home construction can provide. The house is 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on a high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground.

The water (usually 67 degrees F) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.


HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ;
It is the abode of the ‘Environmentalist’ Al Gore.

HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas;
It is the residence of the Ex-President of the United States, George W.
Bush.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
House #1
A 20 room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400 per month. In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern ’snow belt’ area. It’s in the South.



House #2
Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university.
This house incorporates every ‘green’ feature current home construction can provide. The house is 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on a high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground.

The water (usually 67 degrees F) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.


HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville , Tennessee ;
It is the abode of the ‘Environmentalist’ Al Gore.

HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas;
It is the residence of the Ex-President of the United States, George W.
Bush.
This is an email forward that isn't exactly factual.

First of all Gore runs a business out of his house so it's not just him and his wife, so technically it needs to be a mixed used category. Plus Gore has been remodeling this home for quite awhile to "green it up".

But valid attempt.

That being said, I give props to Bush for such a cool house.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Plus Gore has been remodeling this home for quite awhile to "green it up".
Was this before or after the email chain? But at any rate, for him.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Was this before or after the email chain? But at any rate, for him.
It started before I believe.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #38
Refugee
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,256
Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It started before I believe.
It had to. Bush is referred to as "Ex-President" in it.
__________________
cydewaze is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,252
Local Time: 08:41 PM
In my simple country boy view, we should all relax.

No worries

The earth is a wonderful place and it is not failing us.
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
The earth is a wonderful place and it is not failing us.
But we're failing her...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
In my simple country boy view, we should all relax.

No worries

The earth is a wonderful place and it is not failing us.


the earth will be fine.

we'll all be dead.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 10-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #42
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It started before I believe.

Of course you would.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline  
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Of course you would.
Drunk again?

Actually we had a thread about it, back when it was circulating the first time so I was recalling the timeline from that, but nice try.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Drunk again?
and posting from his phone while driving home from the bar
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:41 PM
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2008 International Conference on Climate Change purpleoscar Free Your Mind 19 04-17-2009 07:56 PM
New York Times: Cool the Hype MaxFisher Free Your Mind Archive 17 03-18-2007 06:09 PM
If You Wear A ONE White Band.... Jamila Free Your Mind Archive 18 05-27-2005 07:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com