Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Barack Obama on Bill O'Reilly

Quote:
Obama Met With Fox News Executives

By Howard Kurtz

Wednesday, September 3, 2008; A22

ST. PAUL, Minn., Sept. 2 -- At a secret meeting with Barack Obama three months ago, Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes says, he tried to clear the air with the Democratic senator by saying that his organization was determined to be fair but would not be "in the tank" for Obama's campaign.

During the sit-down in a Waldorf-Astoria hotel suite in Manhattan that included Rupert Murdoch, the network's owner, Obama expressed concern about the way Fox was covering him. "I just wanted to know if I'm going to get a fair shake from Fox News Channel," Ailes recalled him saying.

"Senator, you're the one who boycotted us," Ailes says he replied. "We're not the ones who boycotted you. Nor did we retaliate for your boycott."

The meeting appears to have eased tensions between the two camps, which began when all the Democratic candidates, complaining that the network favors Republicans, refused to hold any primary-season debates on Fox. After resisting invitations for months, Obama now plans to appear on Bill O'Reilly's prime-time Fox program on Thursday, the night that John McCain delivers his acceptance speech at the Republican convention here. Obama said that date fit best in his schedule.

Ailes said in an interview Tuesday that he would never have discussed the matter publicly had Vanity Fair not published an account of the earlier portion of the meeting, in which Murdoch sat on one side and Obama and advisers David Axelrod and Robert Gibbs on the other. The article, based on a forthcoming book about Murdoch by Michael Wolff, says Obama told the Australian-born mogul that he didn't want to waste time talking to Ailes if Fox was going to keep attacking the senator and his wife and portraying him as suspicious and foreign.

Asked for comment about the meeting, Murdoch adviser Gary Ginsberg said both Ailes and Murdoch "had a really cordial and constructive conversation" with Obama.

"They had a frank discussion, aired concerns on our side, and we're happy we were able to air our concerns," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton.
interesting timing.

any predictions?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Predictions: the word 'experience' will come up A LOT.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

^What he said. However I do think that now that we have Palin in the mix Obama has a lot more avenues to answer that question. And if "executive experience" comes up, well, George Bush had executive experience, too.

I do think that Bill O'Reilly will be on his best behavior, though.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Hillary did extremely well on "the factor".

Obama should do well, too.

Any thoughts on the timing?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

It is pretty odd - I'm surprised Fox agreed to that timing, actually. Though I suppose they could always complain after the fact about how he chose to do it the night of McCain's speech.

Does anyone know if O'Reilly comes on after the speech or before?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 AM
I reeeeally hope Bill didn't have to capitulate in letting Barry see the questions ahead of time etc.

After O's dismal interview w Rick Warren I cannot see him manning up to the table against Bill.

Rick Warren coddled him the whole time and Barry still floundered.

<>
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It is pretty odd - I'm surprised Fox agreed to that timing, actually. Though I suppose they could always complain after the fact about how he chose to do it the night of McCain's speech.

Does anyone know if O'Reilly comes on after the speech or before?
I think it was an Axelrod move

he is pretty conniving

Quote:
The meeting appears to have eased tensions between the two camps, which began when all the Democratic candidates, complaining that the network favors Republicans, refused to hold any primary-season debates on Fox. After resisting invitations for months, Obama now plans to appear on Bill O'Reilly's prime-time Fox program on Thursday, the night that John McCain delivers his acceptance speech at the Republican convention here. Obama said that date fit best in his schedule.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 03:39 PM
I am a die-hard conservative, but I feel that Bill O'Reilly is about the only person on Fox News I consider to actually be "fair and balanced". True, the guy leans right on many issues, but I find him to be genuinely interested in exposing fraud and getting answers. I look forward to hearing his questions for Obama because they will certainly be questions that he hasn't had to answer yet.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If O'Reilly weren't such an arrogant prick, I think most people would see his relative fairness. He'll let anyone come on his show to defend themselves.

He's also one of the very few talking heads anywhere who came right out and spoke against the Swfitboat Liars for Bush.

I expect him to be tough on Obama and if Obama does well, it will help only him.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:39 PM
If he just didn't shout at people who have a different or contrasting viewpoint, he might come across a whole lot different.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
If he just didn't shout at people who have a different or contrasting viewpoint
Except he doesn't. I watch his show every night (something which I'm sure hardly anyone in this forum who criticizes him constantly does), and know for a fact that I can only recall a handful of "shoutings" and they were directed at people who said or did truly deplorable things and deserved a scolding.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:39 PM
It's enough. Being a TV talk show host in a somewhat political show with guests that come from different viewpoints you discuss issues with them, you don't shout at them.
And I recall well the incidence with the other Fox news host (forgot his name) which was like a contest of who is the loudest.

No, thank you.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I've seen plenty of examples of him shouting down and even cutting the mics on people who did anything but "truly deplorable things" that "deserved a scolding."
Old 09-04-2008, 02:33 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We'll do it live!

I don't like how he reduces certain arguments so that it makes any opposition to his views look like they just walked out of the crazy bin.

Like when he gets on his culture war bullshit. You see, I don't believe in the fairy tale that propels the 'culture war' (although I do acknowledge it's an actual political 'issue' to be dealt with) but he serves to make sure tons of people do. And if you agree (say with keeping a 10 commandments monument off State property or not having every American bow at the foot of Saint Christmas) then he paints you as if you have no ounce of integrity, patriotism or values at all.

I deplore his 'War on Christmas' defense. In fact, I don't know why Christians don't loathe that commercial/corporate holiday and just disown it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Except he doesn't. I watch his show every night (something which I'm sure hardly anyone in this forum who criticizes him constantly does), and know for a fact that I can only recall a handful of "shoutings" and they were directed at people who said or did truly deplorable things and deserved a scolding.

Every night? No way in hell, my blood pressure would rise.

Yes, he's calmed down his shouting quite a bit in the past year or so, but it still happens more than anyone who calls themselves a reporter should. And no it doesn't take anything truly deplorable.

But he's still one of the biggest blowhards on TV...