Barack Obama on Bill O'Reilly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Obama Met With Fox News Executives

By Howard Kurtz

Wednesday, September 3, 2008; A22

ST. PAUL, Minn., Sept. 2 -- At a secret meeting with Barack Obama three months ago, Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes says, he tried to clear the air with the Democratic senator by saying that his organization was determined to be fair but would not be "in the tank" for Obama's campaign.

During the sit-down in a Waldorf-Astoria hotel suite in Manhattan that included Rupert Murdoch, the network's owner, Obama expressed concern about the way Fox was covering him. "I just wanted to know if I'm going to get a fair shake from Fox News Channel," Ailes recalled him saying.

"Senator, you're the one who boycotted us," Ailes says he replied. "We're not the ones who boycotted you. Nor did we retaliate for your boycott."

The meeting appears to have eased tensions between the two camps, which began when all the Democratic candidates, complaining that the network favors Republicans, refused to hold any primary-season debates on Fox. After resisting invitations for months, Obama now plans to appear on Bill O'Reilly's prime-time Fox program on Thursday, the night that John McCain delivers his acceptance speech at the Republican convention here. Obama said that date fit best in his schedule.

Ailes said in an interview Tuesday that he would never have discussed the matter publicly had Vanity Fair not published an account of the earlier portion of the meeting, in which Murdoch sat on one side and Obama and advisers David Axelrod and Robert Gibbs on the other. The article, based on a forthcoming book about Murdoch by Michael Wolff, says Obama told the Australian-born mogul that he didn't want to waste time talking to Ailes if Fox was going to keep attacking the senator and his wife and portraying him as suspicious and foreign.

Asked for comment about the meeting, Murdoch adviser Gary Ginsberg said both Ailes and Murdoch "had a really cordial and constructive conversation" with Obama.

"They had a frank discussion, aired concerns on our side, and we're happy we were able to air our concerns," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

interesting timing.

any predictions?

^What he said. However I do think that now that we have Palin in the mix Obama has a lot more avenues to answer that question. And if "executive experience" comes up, well, George Bush had executive experience, too.

I do think that Bill O'Reilly will be on his best behavior, though.

It is pretty odd - I'm surprised Fox agreed to that timing, actually. Though I suppose they could always complain after the fact about how he chose to do it the night of McCain's speech.

Does anyone know if O'Reilly comes on after the speech or before?

I reeeeally hope Bill didn't have to capitulate in letting Barry see the questions ahead of time etc.

After O's dismal interview w Rick Warren I cannot see him manning up to the table against Bill.

Rick Warren coddled him the whole time and Barry still floundered.

<>

It is pretty odd - I'm surprised Fox agreed to that timing, actually. Though I suppose they could always complain after the fact about how he chose to do it the night of McCain's speech.

Does anyone know if O'Reilly comes on after the speech or before?

I think it was an Axelrod move

he is pretty conniving

The meeting appears to have eased tensions between the two camps, which began when all the Democratic candidates, complaining that the network favors Republicans, refused to hold any primary-season debates on Fox. After resisting invitations for months, Obama now plans to appear on Bill O'Reilly's prime-time Fox program on Thursday, the night that John McCain delivers his acceptance speech at the Republican convention here. Obama said that date fit best in his schedule.

I am a die-hard conservative, but I feel that Bill O'Reilly is about the only person on Fox News I consider to actually be "fair and balanced". True, the guy leans right on many issues, but I find him to be genuinely interested in exposing fraud and getting answers. I look forward to hearing his questions for Obama because they will certainly be questions that he hasn't had to answer yet.

If O'Reilly weren't such an arrogant prick, I think most people would see his relative fairness. He'll let anyone come on his show to defend themselves.

He's also one of the very few talking heads anywhere who came right out and spoke against the Swfitboat Liars for Bush.

I expect him to be tough on Obama and if Obama does well, it will help only him.

If he just didn't shout at people who have a different or contrasting viewpoint, he might come across a whole lot different.

If he just didn't shout at people who have a different or contrasting viewpoint

Except he doesn't. I watch his show every night (something which I'm sure hardly anyone in this forum who criticizes him constantly does), and know for a fact that I can only recall a handful of "shoutings" and they were directed at people who said or did truly deplorable things and deserved a scolding.

It's enough. Being a TV talk show host in a somewhat political show with guests that come from different viewpoints you discuss issues with them, you don't shout at them.
And I recall well the incidence with the other Fox news host (forgot his name) which was like a contest of who is the loudest.

No, thank you.

I've seen plenty of examples of him shouting down and even cutting the mics on people who did anything but "truly deplorable things" that "deserved a scolding."

We'll do it live!

I don't like how he reduces certain arguments so that it makes any opposition to his views look like they just walked out of the crazy bin.

Like when he gets on his culture war bullshit. You see, I don't believe in the fairy tale that propels the 'culture war' (although I do acknowledge it's an actual political 'issue' to be dealt with) but he serves to make sure tons of people do. And if you agree (say with keeping a 10 commandments monument off State property or not having every American bow at the foot of Saint Christmas) then he paints you as if you have no ounce of integrity, patriotism or values at all.

I deplore his 'War on Christmas' defense. In fact, I don't know why Christians don't loathe that commercial/corporate holiday and just disown it.

Except he doesn't. I watch his show every night (something which I'm sure hardly anyone in this forum who criticizes him constantly does), and know for a fact that I can only recall a handful of "shoutings" and they were directed at people who said or did truly deplorable things and deserved a scolding.

Every night? No way in hell, my blood pressure would rise.

Yes, he's calmed down his shouting quite a bit in the past year or so, but it still happens more than anyone who calls themselves a reporter should. And no it doesn't take anything truly deplorable.

But he's still one of the biggest blowhards on TV...

Obama knows what he's getting into, and I don't think he has any illusions about the fact that FOX News, in general, would love to catch him off guard or trap him into some manufactured controversy.

I guess we'll see how he does when the time comes.

So, it was recorded this afternoon in PA where Obama was campaigning, and will be aired in staggered segments, mostly M/T/W next week, but I gather FOX aired a short 'teaser' segment from it tonight. So much for ruthless, scheming Obama cackling evilly as he attempts to steal McCain's thunder with an extended live rebuttal post-convention.
Obama Meets O'Reilly: No One Dies!

by James Poniewozik
TIME, Sep. 4

Barack Obama sat down to an interview with Fox News' Bill O'Reilly on Fox tonight and — shockingly — it looked like a TV interview. Though he was speaking with Democrats' most-reviled host on their most-disparaged network, no one Photoshopped his head on Osama bin Laden's body or produced Jeremiah Wright from behind a secret panel.

Instead — in the first of four segments designed to milk the interview — Obama had a combative but respectful back-and-forth with O'Reilly, tonight on the subject of national security. O'Reilly asked first if Obama believed we are in a "war on terror," a kind of semantic loyalty oath to see if he would hedge on the term. "Absolutely," he said.

O'Reilly led him through questions on Iran, Afghanistan and Iraq, occasionally bickering with Obama ("You're not going to send ground troops [into Pakistan], and you know it!") or making a pronouncement without asking a question. Obama pressed his case that the war in Iraq had misdirected America's resources, saying that the surge had worked "beyond our wildest dreams" but placing that in the context of the cost of the preceding five years of the war and reminding O'Reilly that the Iraqis have not yet stepped up to self-governance. (And, in what was probably an intentional dig at McCain, making the point that he knew the distinction between Sunni and Shi'a.)

Obama's visit came in a campaign notable for candidates avoiding various media. Most Democratic candidates, including Obama, largely shunned Fox during the primaries. (Obama has gone on Fox News Sunday.) John McCain canceled on Larry King earlier this week to punish CNN for Campbell Brown's having dared to ask a McCain aide too many follow-up question about Sarah Palin's foreign-policy credentials. And Palin, thus far, has been avoiding all national media interviews, save one with People magazine.

Michael Wolff reports in the current Vanity Fair that Obama's rapprochement with Fox happened after an air-clearing meeting with Rupert Murdoch and Fox News chief Roger Ailes. And it's about time. For God's sake, if you think it's in America's interest to speak to international adversaries, you ought to be able to sit down with a guy whose TV show you don't like.

The Democratic argument against "legitimizing" Fox News by appearing was as ridiculous as McCain's snub of softballer King and Palin's residency in the Candidate Protection Program — and politically counterproductive to boot. Is Fox Karl Rove's new home? Fine. Did it flog the Wright story, call Michelle "baby mama" and question the "terrorist fist bump"? Sure. Did O'Reilly get in a scuffle with an Obama staffer on a New Hampshire rope line? Hey, who hasn't? The fact remains that — according to Pew Research — over half of Fox News' audience are Democrats or Independents. Their votes are legitimate, whether Fox News is or not.

And to continue to freeze out Fox would go against one of Obama's most consistent messages: that people are sick of red-vs.-blue America divisions, and that we should be able to talk with people who disagree with us. In that sense, Obama made his strongest argument simply by showing up.

O'Reilly at least gave Obama props for that. In typical O'Reillian fashion, the host had two analysts on immediately after the segment essentially to assess how well he had interviewed Obama (verdict: great!), and O'Reilly praised him for coming on the show. "He's a tough guy, Obama... I looked at him eye to eye — he's not a wimpy guy."

Obama, after all, had stared down Papa Bear. And in the No-Spin Zone, that's the greatest leadership credential of all.

Well he finally admitted the the troop surge, that he was against, is working very well. Somehow he is still not willing to admit that he was wrong.

Isn't that one of the left big criticism of the Bush administration...an unwillingness to admit when they are wrong? Yeah Obama, Change you can count on! Whatever! Do as I say and not as I do.

Thank goodness for Fox News giving adequate voice to both sides of the issues. The interview is terrific.

Fox News saves a little bit of credibility for a media juggernaut that is otherwise drowning in the muck of bitter, radical liberalism.

Thank goodness for Fox News giving adequate voice to both sides of the issues. The interview is terrific.

Fox News saves a little bit of credibility for a media juggernaut that is otherwise drowning in the muck of bitter, radical liberalism.

Did I just read someone put Fox News and the word 'credibility' in the same post? :lol:

i give bill-o credit when it's due. i've seen him on cspan, speaking on panels, conducting himself the way any sane person would (not that i agreed with him). i haven't seen the obama interview and don't plan on catching any of it.

but,

what constitutes "radical" these days?

i didn't see it. how did Obama do? preferrably, if a non-Republican could answer my question...

thanks!

My opinion of O'Rielly changed a bit after watching the Hillary interviews.

He was more credible than I imagined.

and if you watched, as I did, you may refine your opinion.

Well, I've stated before I do think Bill has refined himself quite a bit recently, especially with "bigger" names, but he still reverts to his old self now and again...

But Fox News as a whole still has some big credibility issues...

Well, I've stated before I do think Bill has refined himself quite a bit recently, especially with "bigger" names, but he still reverts to his old self now and again...

But Fox News as a whole still has some big credibility issues...

ironically

keith olbermann is probably most responsible for the change

and now keith is being seen as the caricature

old saying
what you make fun of
you end up buying

(god damn. queers) :wink:

ironically

keith olbermann is probably most responsible for the change

and now keith is being seen as the caricature

Ironically I almost put that in my post...

I think you're right in the sense that Keith probably made Bill look in the mirror, now someone needs to make Keith look in the mirror.

Back
Top Bottom