Banished Babies: the secret history of Catholic Ireland's baby export business

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Description from Amazon:

"The story of a baby traffic organized by nuns, sanctioned by an archbishop, administered by civil servants and approved by politicians - all of whose main concern was secrecy. What the critics said of the first edition:

A brilliant expose of the shabby history of sectarian cruelty to unmarried women who became pregnant in Ireland in the 1950s Susan McKay, Sunday Tribune

This book would make your blood boil - one of the finest pieces of journalism this reader has come across for many a day. The author, Mike Milotte, has done his profession proud. Padraig O'Morain, The Irish Times

A salutary story, too long untold, and another nail in the coffin of Dev's mythical mystical Ireland. The Big Issue

An astonishing story, meticulously told - and an excellent piece of journalism. An Phoblacht

Mike Milotte's damning expose of Church-State collusion in banishing thousands of vulnerable 'illegitimate' children from Ireland in the 1950s and 60s was first published to critical acclaim in 1997, and quickly achieved iconic status. For this new, updated and enlarged edition the author has added previously untold personal stories from some of the 'banished babies' he met in the intervening period - stories that further illuminate the murky shadows of this official, but long-concealed child-export business. This second edition also examines the Irish State's failure to fulfill promises - made in the wake of the book's first appearance - to adequately facilitate search and reunion among the 'banished babies' and their natural parents."

Banished Babies: The Secret History of Ireland's Baby Export Business: Amazon.co.uk: Mike Milotte: 9781848401259: Books

Did they not discover something similar in Spain, where babies born to families not considered 'Catholic' enough were whisked away at birth and the mothers were told the babies had died but in reality were given up for adoption, all aided and abetted by the state and church.

I once read an article about a legend that fetuses are killed and then sold in China in order to be consumed in exotic restaurants, makes you wonder where the traffic of these babies ends up.

I'll try to find the link and post it.

I remember 60 Minutes did a story on the Irish babies back in the late 90s. Very sad, especially since the mothers were so brainwashed into believing they had sinned against God. When their children tracked them down, they didn't want to see them because they so believed their "sin".

Did anyone see The Magdalene Sisters? Its an excellent movie based on the true story of Irish women locked away in convent laundries to do slave labor for life because of their so-called sins - if you consider rape, out of wedlock births, or just being pretty a sin.

:tsk:

This stuff still goes on as far as I am concerned. The misconception in the US & UK about China and such places that they babies are 'sold.' Like after the fact. When in fact, they are created just for the very purpose of being dealt to another family. They wouldn't exist if a pre-arrangement wasn't established. That sounds very crass but it is true.

Lets examine a scenario: Family A is destitute but young and healthy. Family B has some resources but no children. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure things out.

(I realize I am going to get blasted for this, but here goes anyway)

The UK and US press often use the term 'sold'. When fact it is more of an economic consideration. Let me explain. If I use the above example of Family A and Family B from above. It would be 'considerate' of Family B to consider that it takes a significant portion of a lifetime and resources to raise a healthy, vibrant and young child. The option NOT to do this is always clear and present. I believe Americans call this idea freedom.

I am not sure why Mike Milotte finds this scenario so shocking. From my standpoint, (takes a deep breath, should know better than to speak the following) letting anunwanted child live with another family under the guise of being 'sold' is still more humane than terminating the pregnancy.

Let me give one more example for those who think like adults among us. If a car accident happens and loss of life occurs, often the insurance companies will compensate families and or spouses. Is this buying them off or considering their plight?

Did anyone see The Magdalene Sisters? Its an excellent movie based on the true story of Irish women locked away in convent laundries to do slave labor for life because of their so-called sins - if you consider rape, out of wedlock births, or just being pretty a sin.

:tsk:

I think I saw that in the fiction section at the library.

canedge said:
I think I saw that in the fiction section at the library.

Then why was there an accompanying documentary to the movie? With women who were in those laundries?

Well my mother herself was from that generation of Irish women. Many of them weave narratives that may be rooted in imagination and not fact. It also is based during a period when the gender war was at its heights.

It is not misogynist to challenge something. If by merely discussing a International Womens issue you label that misogynist then BVS you have a problem not me.

All I am trying to do is clarify and discuss issues that I have first knowledge of. It is frustrating when I read headlines that are not rooted in truth. If I encountered statement or headline saying "Bono is a lying sod and steals charity money' I would do my best to clarify that. It is true that some people have agendas against certain establishments worldwide.

BVS, We have reached the end of your level of comprehension in this discussion. From here on in you will either label me a racist or sexist or possibly just throw out continual question marks as per your trademark. Last time we spoke about a womans issue, you ending up contorting my words into "because shes from Africa" thereby rendering everything I said within the context of racism.

canedge said:
It is not misogynist to challenge something. If by merely discussing a International Womens issue you label that misogynist then BVS you have a problem not me.
It's not the challenging I have a problem with, it's the assuming they're lying. I have a big problem with that type of approach.

YES. It was gut-wrenching.
What an unnecessary comment. Of course it was a fictional movie, but do you not believe it was based on actual or similar events? That is the only reason I can think that you would make that comment.

I guess that comes down to how much artistic license one uses. If you want to really make a point it is ok to take some liberties. What really matters is to the degree of how much you stretch the truth.

canedge said:
I guess that comes down to how much artistic license one uses. If you want to really make a point it is ok to take some liberties. What really matters is to the degree of how much you stretch the truth.

What about the accompanying documentary?

So is that a "yes" or "no" to the question: have you seen the movie?

Any reasonable person knows that a movie based on people/events is going to take some liberties. Pearl didn't come out and say the movie was entirely 100% factual in every possible sense. She mentioned it because it is related to the topic on hand.

Your comment was unnecessary.

What an unnecessary comment. Of course it was a fictional movie, but do you not believe it was based on actual or similar events? That is the only reason I can think that you would make that comment.

Cori, have you read any of his comments in other threads? The guy is a simpleton of the highest degree.

Pearl do you agree that it is more 'humane' to let a child live in different circumstances (so called buyer parents) than to terminate a pregnancy in the most dire of situations?

Where on earth did I mention terminating pregnancies? Your question has nothing to do with my comments.

Based on the way you are treating the other posters, I am going to ignore you. You don't appear to be a rational person to debate with.

Back
Top Bottom