Ballad of Sad Cafes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monsieur Peresse always met the day with good-humored fatalism, accepting not only the decline of smoking, but the decline of drinking—the two staples of his business. When he started out in the 1960s, alcohol was a continuous ritual for many a French working man: coffee and calvados to start the day, maybe "le blanc," a glass of white wine later in the morning, l'apéro, or aperitif, before lunch, red wine with the meal, another calvados, another apéro in the afternoon, more red wine with dinner. He would laugh and shake his head, almost amazed at the memory. And then he would ask who was going to win the American elections. (He liked McCain.)

Smoking is vulgar, however the above strikes me as a civilised way of life, a person adopting the above approach will never become inebriated or insensible and will probably do themselves more good than harm provided overall consumption is limited to an absolute maximum of two bottles a day (Any more than that I would regard as excessive) and provided they only consume one glass before operating a propelled mechanical vehicle (good for co-ordination, and helps steady the nerves).

Speaking of bon viveurs:

Last hurrah for Dai: The Seducer of the Valleys dies after riotous life of wine and women | Mail Online

Is smoking really necessary in order to enjoy a Paris cafe? Just wonderin. In all likelihood I'll never set foot in Paris, I just don't get it. Even if I smoked I'd be willing to give that up there, if I could see Paris.

Back
Top Bottom