Baby refuseniks - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #256
Refugee

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
So it really is that she is held to a higher standard b/c she is rich and famous?
She's held to a higher standard because she's a high-profile fitness role model being celebrated on the cover of Women's Health. That is to say that she represents healthy bodies and healthy body image for women and people pay attention to her (and pay $$$ for her) advice as an expert in the area.

Comments that suggest that pregnancy is somehow unhealthful or ruins your body are incredibly irresponsible. Women's (girls especially) images of what constitutes a healthy and attractive body in the media are warped enough as it is.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #257
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Since she is someone who makes a living being skinny and toned, looking good, and trying to get others to be skinny and toned too, the comments don't really surprise me. Is she really a role model? I don't know, I don't really know much about her but don't usually consider high profile fitness instructors that are pushing diet pills to be role models, regardless of how they feel about pregnancy.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #258
Refugee

I'd like to think that any of the sleazy reality tv stars aren't role models, but a profile on the cover of Women's Health lends a little more cred than a typical gossip rag. Credibility she probably doesn't deserve, for more reasons than her view of pregnancy.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

(June 25 Reuters) - More American women are choosing not to have children than three decades ago, according to a new report.

Nearly 20 percent of older women do not have children, compared to 10 percent in the 1970s, the Pew Research Center said.

"In recent decades, social pressure to play traditional roles has lessened in a broad variety of ways and there is more leeway for individual choice. This could play a part in lowering pressure for people to get married and bear children," said D'Vera Cohn, a co-author of the report.

"Women have more options than in the past to build strong careers and to exercise the choice not to have children," she added in an email.

The findings in the report are based on data from the Census Bureau's Current Population Survey.

Cohn said another reason for the increase is that children are seen by some as less important for a successful marriage. A 2007 Pew survey found that 41 percent of adults said that children are very important for a good marriage, down from 65 percent in 1990.

One in five white women ages 40-44 were childless in 2008, compared with 17 percent of black and Hispanic women and 16 percent of Asian women. Between 1994 and 2008, the childlessness rates for black and Hispanic women rose by almost a third, much higher than the 11 percent increase for white women.

Education also seems to be a factor in a woman's choice to be a mother. The more educated women are, the higher the childless rate is.

For women with a high school diploma, the rate is 17 percent, compared to 24 percent of women with a bachelor's degree. But the childlessness rate has decreased for women with advanced degrees from 31 percent in 1994 to 24 percent in 2008.

"Economists will tell you that more educated women have more to gain economically from prioritizing their careers, compared with less educated women," said Cohn.

"The most educated women also tend to marry at older ages and to postpone childbearing until older ages more than less educated women do," Cohn said.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #260
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I was having a converstion this weekend with a friend of the family, a true Tea Party member through and through, and I was telling him about my upcoming wedding plans and he said, "you better have three kids if not the Muslims are going to take over the world". He was dead serious...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #261
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I was having a converstion this weekend with a friend of the family, a true Tea Party member through and through, and I was telling him about my upcoming wedding plans and he said, "you better have three kids if not the Muslims are going to take over the world". He was dead serious...
People are insane and paranoid.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #262
She's the One

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
my upcoming wedding plans
Congratulations!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #263
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Thank you
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #264
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Thank you
Mazel -- may it be a long and happy marriage...