Baby refuseniks - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Maybe all of the working out and eating a certain way just went to her brain She said "I can't handle doing that to my body", not that it would ruin it. If she thinks it would ruin it for all eternity well that's probably just about her internal struggles and fears about weight. Maybe somehow she believes that the women who would buy her products will never be in the shape she's in (and how many will be, if you can be then you really don't need her products) so from that point of view it doesn't matter. She's selling fantasy in some ways.

I'm not saying she's any sort of genius or role model or anything of the sort. I just found the comments about any woman saying something like that publicly to be interesting. Clearly she's not representative of many women, all women, etc.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

To be fair, I know plenty of women and peers who aren't having kids because it would interrupt their professional lives. I'd probably have a baby right now if I didn't need to work and keep my job. I guess given her profession it's really not any different. She should not be judged for not having babies because she is already rich and can. You don't have babies just because you can. But I still think it was a weird thing for her to say or try to justify publicly. I really don't know who she is or anything about her so maybe I'm giving her too much credit, but I still don't feel *anyone* else's reproductive choices are my business. Maybe she just doesn't want to have a kid and felt she had to make up some lame excuse. Still none of my business.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #228
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:39 PM
maintaining a weight is easier than losing it. maybe she's afraid she won't be able to get skinny again? though i do have to give her kudos for saying she'd adopt.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

as more and more of my friends have kids, i become more and more completely fascinated with their children and love meeting them.

but the idea of having my own -- likely through adoption, whoo! glad i won't be ruining my figure -- is still terrifying.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #230
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
You don't have babies just because you can.
Nor do you adopt just because you don't want to "do that" to your body with pregnancy.

Her profession? Yeah, Yolland said it well -
Quote:
She was speaking publically as a prominent female personal trainer, someone many women would perceive as an inspiration and role model for women's fitness. What kind of message does it therefore send when she portrays pregnancy, a normal healthy function of the female body, as a kiss-your-hawtness-goodbye ordeal to be dreaded and--if you really care about your bod, like her--avoided? (And for that matter, what message might her future adopted daughter, should she have one, take from that?)
Indra also made a good point about how she's now alienated a good chunk of her client base.

Any concern that she makes her living with her body is bullshit. She would make a FORTUNE marketing her own pregnancy, childbirth and post-pregnancy routines as the explosion of millenials are heading into their baby years.

She's just plain vain to a high degree. I have no issue bitch-slapping her for that.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Vain....sure, but I still don't see the big deal. I plan on adopting because I just don't want to go through a pregnancy and birth when there are plenty of babies that already need families. What does that make me? Selfish and lazy?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #232
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Vain....sure, but I still don't see the big deal. I plan on adopting because I just don't want to go through a pregnancy and birth when there are plenty of babies that already need families. What does that make me? Selfish and lazy?
I'd say that's a very different basis for making a decision with the same outcome (adoption over pregnancy). And I have a hard time believing you wouldn't see the difference.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #233
Blue Crack Addict

I guess the only difference I see is that she is rich and famous and we are not. I don't see why anyone feels they can judge her decision or even cares. Maybe she is a vain person and I do think that she could gain a huge niche of women looking to get fit after having a baby but it's really her own decision. My own reasons for not having a baby right now are pretty similar - it would be stupid career-wise and I just don't want to be pregnant and give birth (I'm put off by the physical aspects of it, not the outcome of becoming a parent to a baby). Any healthy woman of childbearing age must also have a reason for not getting pregnant, why is her reason or my reason any better or worse than anyone else's? Let the bitch-slapping of my vanity ensue...
Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #234
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Fuck all of you. I had TWO dreams about having kids in the past week. In the first one, my friend brought my son back from day care and I had forgotten that I had a kid. In the second one, the kid was about six months old, I didn't know his name, and was about to change his diaper for the first time (others had done it before).

Don't make me have babies. Won't somebody think of the children?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrun View Post
I've had pregnancy dreams too. Haven't gotten pregnant yet It's like dreaming of death. It's not symbolic of death itself, but generally new beginnings.

These are: NBEs (not to be confused with NDEs)

Near Birth Experiences - the almighty has lifted the veil so you can see his true plans for you.
Your mission is to go forth and share your experience, that birthing is greatest gift of all.

NBEs are strongly debated. Some pin the mechanisms on physical or psychological reasons, while others see a transcendental force.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #235
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Well played, deep.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #236
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Any healthy woman of childbearing age must also have a reason for not getting pregnant, why is her reason or my reason any better or worse than anyone else's?
I'm with you on this one.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:39 PM
The prime directive of both genders of the species is to breed.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #238
Blue Crack Distributor

Ah yes, but we were all also given free will.

And then science magic gave us birth control.

Fuckin' condoms, how do they work?!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not even sure why this seems to be a contentious discussion at all. I don't even know who this woman is but even if I did, who cares why she does or doesn't want to get pregnant?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #240
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Ah yes, but we were all also given free will.
What is free will?