Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #211
She's the One

Local Time: 08:03 AM
If I don't care, will she just go away?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #212
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:03 PM
As a species our prime directive is to procreate and evolve.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #213
Blue Crack Distributor

I find it hard to judge anyone's reasons for not wanting to procreate, no matter how shallow the reason might seem.

Hey hey, shout out to ladies exercising their reproductive freedoms!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #214
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I find it hard to judge anyone's reasons for not wanting to procreate, no matter how shallow the reason might seem.

Hey hey, shout out to ladies exercising their reproductive freedoms!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 AM
I just wish men could get pregnant and had to face all that judgment. Hahahahaha

I don't like Jillian Michaels all that much either but maybe plenty of women feel that way and they just don't say it because it's so taboo
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #216
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I just wish men could get pregnant and had to face all that judgment.
do you mean judgement as in understanding why women would have the attitude of not wanting to have children?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #217
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I just wish men could get pregnant and had to face all that judgment. Hahaha
Quote:
The 'Doting Daddy Brain'

A man in hot pursuit of a mate doesn't even remotely resemble a devoted, doting daddy. But that's what his future holds. When his mate becomes pregnant, she'll emit pheromones that will waft into his nostrils, stimulating his brain to make more of a hormone called prolactin. Her pheromones will also cause his testosterone production to drop by 30 percent.

These hormonal changes make him more likely to help with the baby. They also change his perceptual circuitry, increasing his ability to hear a baby cry, something many men can't do very well before their wives are pregnant.

And a word to the wise for all the young mothers who are reluctant to let your husbands hold and care for your newborn. The more hands-on care a father gives his infant, the more his brain aligns with the role of fatherhood. So, hand over the baby.
Love, sex and the male brain - CNN.com
Old 04-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #218
Forum Moderator

I've had three kids and still wear the same clothing size I did in high school. (Though perhaps my body is "ruined" in some other way I'm sadly unaware of?) If someone feels called to adoption as her path to parenthood, and can afford the time and money to go through that process, then wonderful, by all means do so...but, it ain't that hard to stay fit.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #219
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Frankly we should all be thankful that Jillian's - or anyone else who makes a similar decision - level of vanity will not be passed on in the gene pool.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Well it is how Jillian makes a living, so from that perspective is it as vain? Men are plenty vain too- the significant difference being, obviously, that their bodies don't change by having children. Unless you have so called sympathetic pregnancies or a guy just "letting himself go" after he's a father.

It isn't easy at all for all women to stay fit after having a baby, everyone's body and experience is different so how can anyone judge just from their own experience? She had a previous weight struggle too, if you've never had that you can't really out yourself in the same position.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't had kids but my mom always said she was in the best shape after she had my brother (second). My good friend who has been pregnant 3 times (2 kids) lost some weight and looks amazing.

Personally I would have just said "I plan to adopt" and left it at that. I really isn't anyone's business why or why not.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #222
She's the One

Unless one is an attention whore reality show person.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #223
Forum Moderator

Quote:
It isn't easy at all for all women to stay fit after having a baby, everyone's body and experience is different so how can anyone judge just from their own experience? She had a previous weight struggle too, if you've never had that you can't really out yourself in the same position.
I appreciate your sensitivity to the image pressures she may feel under, but I really think your sympathies are misplaced here. She was speaking publically as a prominent female personal trainer, someone many women would perceive as an inspiration and role model for women's fitness. What kind of message does it therefore send when she portrays pregnancy, a normal healthy function of the female body, as a kiss-your-hawtness-goodbye ordeal to be dreaded and--if you really care about your bod, like her--avoided? (And for that matter, what message might her future adopted daughter, should she have one, take from that?)

As a private individual, she of course can and will do whatever she wants, for whatever reasons she wants. But I'm with Lies here--she should've thought ahead about the implications of a women's fitness professional of her stature publically saying something like that. And I'll reiterate: it simply is not that hard to get back in shape after having a baby if one truly makes it a priority, that you'd need to go to the extreme of adopting instead or else be 'doomed' to be overweight or unfit for the rest of your life. (And--it should go without saying--if the reality is that it's not truly a priority, then listen to what the gap between the supposed ideal and the actions taken towards it are telling you, accept and be at peace at that, and don't waste time and energy beating yourself up over things which have no moral significance.)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

I don't really have any sympathies so I don't think they're misplaced. I merely have sympathies for anyone who is judged for not having children, for whatever the reasons are. She's not someone I would look to for fitness advice, considering what is alleged to go on on that show and the questions about her supplements.

Not everyone has the financial and situational means to make fitness their biggest priority when they have babies-there are single mothers, there are kids with autism and other issues, there are other issues. I never said it was morally significant, so I don't know where that comes from. The fact is that some mothers do beat themselves up because of the pressure to bounce back into shape, but I won't judge their priorities because they do that either.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Even from a purely marketing standpoint it seems like a boneheaded thing to say. Isn't it likely that many of Michaels' customers are women who have had children? If she feels pregnancy ruins a woman's body, why would women who have children feel confident that use of her methods or products would help them?