Baby refuseniks - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
true. this is a very serious social problem, and i'm glad you've had the courage to address it.

That's just very funny...

Hot chicks with douchebags, redux. Of course ugly is in the eye of the beholder as is douchebaggery- to a lesser extent. Some douchebags are just universally douchebags.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Gee I guess guys DO sleep with ugly women after all.

The Science of One-Night Stands - Wellness - TIME.com

Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #198
She's the One

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Fuck all of you. I had TWO dreams about having kids in the past week. In the first one, my friend brought my son back from day care and I had forgotten that I had a kid. In the second one, the kid was about six months old, I didn't know his name, and was about to change his diaper for the first time (others had done it before).

Don't make me have babies. Won't somebody think of the children?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

:babyshower:
Old 08-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #200
She's the One

Local Time: 07:25 AM
nooooooooooooo
Old 08-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
nooooooooooooo
Woman in Tunisia pregnant with 12 babies | The Sun |News

Go for thirteen!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Go for thirteen!

baker's dozen.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

accdg to something I found on the internets

New Life

In waking life, babies are exactly that - brand, new life. Each of us comes into this world fresh and new with an entire future of endless possibilities ahead. As we grow, we become weighed down with commitments, emotional upheaval, and patterns that we believe limit our choices and our lives. Dreaming of a baby can symbolize a fresh start, or release from limitations. Dreaming of a baby can also symbolize a desire for the same.

Creativity

If you think of the amazing way in which babies are created and it is easy to see how babies are the ultimate symbol of creativity. Babies, in dreams, can also be symbolic of this creativity. Pregnancy dreams are another symbol of creativity but they are more indicative of the creative potential whereas a dream baby may indicate creativity that is fully developed.

Forgetting one has a baby may be symbolic of forgetting some aspect of one's self - a part that may be a powerful link to one's creativity and a source of inspiration. The forgotten part of one's self may also be a part of one's self that is innocent and pure. Forgetting one has a baby may also be symbolic of feelings of guilt or of feeling that one is not being responsible. Look at your life and see if there really is something you are not taking care of or if these feelings of guilt are false. Many times we try to take on the responsibilities of others - responsibilities that are not really our own.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I've had pregnancy dreams too. Haven't gotten pregnant yet It's like dreaming of death. It's not symbolic of death itself, but generally new beginnings.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #205
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/m...c-decline.html
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #206
War Child

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
They sure don't want to adopt, either, the practice has been rejected in Japanese culture for centuries, because they place emphasis on their bloodlines and ancestors. They do not want a child of strangers (and to be honest, this is how I feel too, though I'm sad for the Japanese orphans)
Old 08-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #207
War Child

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Fuck all of you. I had TWO dreams about having kids in the past week. In the first one, my friend brought my son back from day care and I had forgotten that I had a kid. In the second one, the kid was about six months old, I didn't know his name, and was about to change his diaper for the first time (others had done it before).

Don't make me have babies. Won't somebody think of the children?
Martha I am calling the welfare on you!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #208
Refugee

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Making moms: Can we feed the need to breed? | Macleans.ca - Canada - Features

Quote:
Amazingly, the evidence suggests that the most successful policies have one thing in common: they don't try to pay women to procreate. Rather, they facilitate the careers of working mothers. They are premised on the idea that, the more value a society places on women's work inside and outside of the home, the more likely she is to want to contribute meaningfully in both spheres. In other words, take some of the load off of her shoulders and spread it around so that children become everybody's responsibility. Who would have thought that the most economically sound solution to a fertility crisis would be rooted in good old-fashioned feminism?
Quote:
The issue here is not just about economic incentives, or costs and benefits. It's about attitudes. In an immediate sense, North Americans -- even Canadians -- are generally less inclined to be strapped with other people's problems. "I think the countries that are doing reasonably well in Europe have an attitude that it takes a community to raise a child," says Duxbury. "The European model is, 'We have to make it possible for those people who can afford to have and raise kids to have them.' Our model in North America is, 'Well, you decided to have a child. That was your personal decision, so don't expect us to help you.' "

The great hypocrisy of this model is that we extol family values and the role of the at-home mom, says Bravo, and yet we make it virtually impossible for women who aren't independently wealthy to stay home. We expect middle- and lower-class women to work and, when it comes to parental responsibilities, we expect them to figure it out on their own dime. Then we label it a choice, so we can say, 'If she had only chosen differently, she'd have more money, and more time with her kids.'

The choice, then, is a non-choice. We speak of opting out, but in fact, most women are forced out by impossible work-life expectations. Only the elite truly "opt" out. The personal fulfillment or "choice" model, Duxbury says, is a fancy way of deflecting the onus onto women. "Employers always say no one made you have a kid," she says. "They say, 'We've got operational responsibilites. If you can't be here for us, don't expect us to treat you the same. Don't expect to have work-life balance and be promoted and be a star.' Women have taken that to heart and they haven't had kids."
Quote:
Perhaps more important than any single factor in combatting the baby shortage will be to find ways of effectively integrating men into policy so that the onus is not entirely on women to keep civilization going. In Canada, at least, the evidence suggests men would be amenable: 15.4 per cent of new dads took advantage of EI parental benefits in 2005, up from only two per cent in 2001.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #209
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Perhaps more important than any single factor in combatting the baby shortage will be to find ways of effectively integrating men into policy so that the onus is not entirely on women to keep civilization going. In Canada, at least, the evidence suggests men would be amenable: 15.4 per cent of new dads took advantage of EI parental benefits in 2005, up from only two per cent in 2001.
It really is amazing how routinely and completely this aspect of it gets overlooked, especially in the US. And it speaks volumes about how far we haven't come in achieving married relationships where childrearing decisions are truly based on mutual compromise negotiated in light of shared priorities, rather than on reflexive assumptions of 'Women aren't supposed to do this' and 'Men aren't supposed to do that.'

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

This solicited over 3,000 comments-and I find the comments to be a very interesting microcosm and dynamic..how people judge a woman for saying something like that. I haven't read all the comments but there were numerous "narcissist" comments on the first couple of pages. The rescue something comment does seem odd, so there are plenty of comments about that too.

Jillian Michaels: I Won't Ruin My Body With Pregnancy

'Biggest Loser' trainer Jillian Michaels has a hard little body and she plans to keep it that way. Michaels, 36, tells Women's Health she is unwilling to become pregnant because of the way it would change her body.

"I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body," she told the magazine. "Also, when you rescue something, it's like rescuing a part of yourself."

Michaels, who is now 5'2" and 120 pounds of muscle, was overweight as a teen. She said she once weighed 175 pounds but lost the extra weight with martial arts, which she has practiced for 20 years. She is currently embroiled in a lawsuit over the efficacy of her diet pills.