Average Unemployment Rates For US Presidents Since World War II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strongbow

Refugee
Average Unemployment Rates For US Presidents Since World War II:

01. Lyndon Johnson: 4.19%
02. Harry Truman: 4.26%
03. Dwight Eisenhower: 4.89%
04. Richard Nixon: 5.00%
05. Bill Clinton: 5.20%
06. George W. Bush: 5.27%
07. John Kennedy: 5.98%
08. George H.W. Bush: 6.30%
09. Jimmy Carter: 6.54%
10. Ronald Reagan: 7.54%
11. Gerald Ford: 7.77%
12. Barack Obama: 9.36%

Gosh Clinton was less than Reagan? That can't be, Reagan was economic conservative genius...

Average of 4 to 8 years compared to the average of one year?

What a shit thread.

Which one is better apples or oranges?

I though presidents were considered fully employed when they were in office. :hmm: ;)

Average Unemployment Rates For US Presidents Since World War II:

01. Lyndon Johnson: 4.19%
02. Harry Truman: 4.26%
03. Dwight Eisenhower: 4.89%
04. Richard Nixon: 5.00%
05. Bill Clinton: 5.20%
06. George W. Bush: 5.27%
07. John Kennedy: 5.98%
08. George H.W. Bush: 6.30%
09. Jimmy Carter: 6.54%
10. Ronald Reagan: 7.54%
11. Gerald Ford: 7.77%
12. Barack Obama: 9.36%
this is borderline retarded.

Correlation and Causality. One common mistake made by people interpreting a correlational coefficient refers to causality. When we see that depression and low self-esteem are negatively correlated, we often surmise that depression must therefore cause the decrease in self-esteem. When contemplating this, consider the following correlations that have been found in research:

Positive correlation between ice cream consumption and drownings

Positive correlation between ice cream consumption and murder

Positive correlation between ice cream consumption and boating accidents

Positive correlation between ice cream consumption and shark attacks

If we were to assume that every correlation represents a causal relationship then ice cream would most certainly be banned due to the devastating effects it has on society. Does ice-cream consumption cause people to drown? Does ice cream lead to murder? The truth is that often two variables are related only because of a third variable that is not accounted for within the statistic. In this case, the weather is this third variable because as the weather gets warmer, people tend to consume more ice cream. Warmer weather also results in an increase in swimming and boating and therefore increased drownings, boating accidents, and shark attacks.

false, false, false. it's a well known fact that ice cream causes murder.

My preferred method is to suffocate victims with icecream cones and then blame it on the weather... while reeling off a list of unemployment statistics dating back to 1865.

My preferred method is to suffocate victims with icecream cones and then blame it on the weather... while reeling off a list of unemployment statistics dating back to 1865.

^I think I saw that in a bad David Duchovny movie once.

Speaking of Mr. Duchovny, just what this thread needs:

duchovny.jpg

^Sorry, it was a near thread killer for the U2 Rose Bowl Thread.

That was a spoiler

I love how he's holding the pot but it's only a cup holding...well, you know. I see what you did there Dave, you're not fooling anyone

The list is too simplistic since Presidents can inherit different cycles and there is another part of the government that needs looking at:

CONGRESS. :doh:

The list is too simplistic since Presidents can inherit different cycles and there is another part of the government that needs looking at:

CONGRESS. :doh:

No doubt. The President can be blamed for the unemployment number immediately, but can't fix unemployment immediately.

I think the military draft is the fastest way government could affect unemployment, which is something that should be considered when looking at that list, too. That might account for the 1 percent difference between the 1940s to 1970s and the 1980s to today.

FWIW

Then you have to add unemployment based on people searching for work vs. people simply not working. When the economy recovers there is often an increase in the unemployment rate because more people who gave up work before start looking for work all at once until they are absorbed in the workforce. If the poster wants to bash Obama there are other ways.

Gosh Clinton was less than Reagan? That can't be, Reagan was economic conservative genius...

Reagan put a hiring freeze on federal employees the day he took office and was actually shrinking the number of bureaucrats in Washington.

Far cry from other administration, especially the current one, where, in "the severest recession since the depression," the unemployment rate in Washington D.C. is about the lowest in the country.

looking at the presidents on the high and low end of the spectrum, it's easy to see who was president during recessions and expansions. i'm not going to lie, a president can influence the economy, sure. but they're not the sole factor for why america had a good or bad overall economy. even including poor dubya. :)

Reagan put a hiring freeze on federal employees the day he took office and was actually shrinking the number of bureaucrats in Washington.

Far cry from other administration, especially the current one, where, in "the severest recession since the depression," the unemployment rate in Washington D.C. is about the lowest in the country.

Problem is the hiring freeze didn't last long.

Over his Presidency, the number of federal employees increased by 2.8%.

Contrast that to Clinton who actually reduced federal payrolls.

Trend of Federal Civilian Employment by Year

The Adventures of My Pet Hamster ? The Hypothesis of “Big Government”

And Reagan was no fiscal conservative:

The Myths of Reaganomics - Murray N. Rothbard - Mises Institute

As for Obama, he has proposed the smallest federal pay increase since 1975 and has instructed all department secretaries to cut spending and, guess what, all have.

The "record number of federal employees" under Obama is largely speculation based on where certain people with an agenda think the end result of the stimulus will land us. They won't tell you that the stimulus is a temporary measure that will be all used up by December and will have no impact on where federal employment under Obama ends up.

The stimulus did not hire a bunch of new federal employees. Rather, it saved some already existing jobs(local, state and federal government). Most of the stimulus has been contracted out to private companies. The people conducting stimulus funded medical research, building solar panels and lithium batteries and re paving your street with stimulus money do not work for President Obama. They work for whatever private company got the money.

As for this thread, how could a certain original poster be comparing unemployment by Presidencies and putting Obama last when the rest of the people had full terms and Obama is not even half way through his first?

Mark my words, Obama will not be leaving office with a higher unemployment rate than he started out with.

2009 and 2010 were very tough years, and still, we lost less jobs every month and growth returned in 3rd quarter 2009. That is unheard of for a recession this severe to turn around to recovery as quickly as it did. We are now creating jobs and the unemployment rate is on its way down. It was higher in 2009 and higher in 1982/3 than it is now.

The premise of this thread is that Obama somehow, if he had the right policies, would have unemployment at 5% right now. That is economically impossible given what he started out with, wouldn't matter if he was the market's equivalent of Jesus on water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom