Australian federal election: 7 September

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw Charlie Pickering unhinged last night. Unsurprisingly he said political discourse in Aus is "fucked", and he and Waleed Aly actually figured that it would be cheaper to hire cruise ships, boat in refugees in luxury than the current solution, and they'd still have money leftover to hire the Stones to perform on the way.

He also hates a lot of the stories he has to throw to on The Project, as well as Hughesy's shit jokes.

Not sure why one beer is such a big deal.

BRGRA5ICEAA4b1F.jpg:large

The Tele's going to keep making absurd front pages because they know it keeps people talking. Why can't all Australia agree to treat the Tele like we would treat a common playground bully, i.e. ignore it and let it wither?

I keep on reading the title as 'Australian fedora election' and I don't know if it makes me happy or angry.

I'd rather a fedora election.

The problem isn't so much partisanship, as partisanship that dare not speak its name.

Whither public broadcasters in such a world, I'm not sure. And that worries me. There should be something like an ABC. It just should be better than it is.

Good point about public broadcasting. It's a dilemma to which I don't have a solution either. The ABC and SBS are incredibly valuable to Austraia and could be even more so. But do you keep peddling some myth of press neutrality that they're meant to follow, or what? You can't say no politics, because that would eliminate not just most news but also most entertainment. This country would have almost no televised political satire if it weren't for the ABC.

You know what really pisses me off about the beige drivel we are fed during election campaigns in recent years is that: politics really does matter. It matters like hell. You wouldn't know it from the 'go back to sleep, Austraya' crap the candidates parrot. I feel like a pillow is being gently smoothed over my face sometimes. You end up with the situation of a somewhat decent government that couldn't sell crack to an addict. Rudd is a little above average in this regard, but he's no Hawke, no Keating. Fortunately for him, Abbott is, to put it mildly, no Fraser or Howard.

At least in the pre-television era, the era of townhall meetings and speeches from the back of trucks, it was harder to get away with such disconnect, such pretense that a few thousand swinging voters are the nation.

I would love a return to the era when politicians really had to be fucking great public speakers - people of eloquence and charisma, capable of holding an audience in the palm of their hand and without the aid of microphones or other amplification. The worst part is that I don't see younger politicians coming through with the charisma of a Hawke. Who are the great rising stars? They are lacking.

My mate from high school days Francis ran for the seat of Flinders in 2010, lost by about 20,000 votes. He was on Shitsville on ABC 2. He's a good public speaker.

Abbott is not, and his uhs and ers make it so obvious he's thinking extremely carefully about everything he says.

Partly it's the advisors these people have. The young advisors who populate modern political offices (who often go on - hello Tony, btw - to become the politicians themselves) are sometimes satirised as having watched too much of The West Wing... I only wish they took account of the good bits.

As for Deputy Prime Minister Albo having a beer with Craig Thompson, everyone knows that Craig Thompson is guilty of 3591 credit card fraud charges, and was in on the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, and also kicked a dog. I mean, the grainy photos show that it's dodgy as heck! Right?

However poorly or well they hold on this time, it's interesting to consider that the leader of the Greens at the federal level has a public profile considerably higher than does the leader of the National Party.

Does anyone on this thread actually know who the leader of the National Party is? Hint: it's Warren Truss. The days of Black Jack McEwan are a distant memory.

The only Nationals member I know is Barnaby Joyce, who always adds some welcome levity to Q&A.

I also like Bob Katter for similar reasons.

Stop the boats, axe the tax, kill the pricks, ease the squeeze

Sounds like this came straight from Slogans for Bogans.

I cannot fathom the 5 points bullshit this election has been reduced to. I cannot believe anyone will be voting for the Liberals. I cannot believe that we have the choice of Abbott or Rudd. I'm pissed off so utterly that it's giving me an injury. I gritted my teeth through Rudd's elegant return, but the boat people angle has killed me. Labor only get my vote because of Gonski. Fuck the rest of it.

fuck, cobbo, I met a dude tonight who said his brother was a famous(ish) Australian rugby player... Now I have to remember his name.... He said at some point he lost a couple sponsors because someone stole his phone while on vacation and took a couple risque cock and bum picks. Ring a bell?

Not off the top of my head unfortunately... Rugby players doing stupid things are pretty common so it could be any one of a number of people

"This is a great country," leaders concur.

"What did we do when Uncle harry was here?" Abbott frowns thoughtfully, dons rubber glove.

The best/worst part was when Tone blatantly avoided answering the marriage equality question, instead darting off into another mediocre response.

The best/worst part was when Tone blatantly avoided answering the marriage equality question, instead darting off into another mediocre response.

Haha, yeah, or the part where he couldn't answer where the 70 billion was going to come from!

... Or badgerys Creek! That bloody airport. Since when the hell did this stop being a NSW issue and move to federal? Haha, no wonder he had no idea.

... Or the GST review! He's such a prankster! Scrapping the mining and carbon taxes in favour of taxing fresh food!

... But seriously, he's going to fix us up some roads (does anyone remember them? I know I don't give a god damn, so I tuned out like a chump) And drown the brown people.

Have we all forgotten Tampa? I wonder if Johnny has, or if the faces keep him awake at night?

And he somehow won the debate? How?

I think Laurie Oakes said he thought Abbott won because he had more 'style.'

I meant to post this last night but the forum was down, so here it is now:

It's hard to have too big a victory in election debates now that they are such stage-managed, risk-averse events, and I suppose we all try to see the result we want to see, but I genuinely don't know how anybody could watch that debate and not come away thinking that Rudd had the best of it. Abbott's simply a rubbish public speaker with the charisma of a turnip, and struggles to sound sincere - Rudd, love him or hate him, can manufacture bulk loads of sincerity for any occasion. Abbott's simply excruciating.

I'm glad to see there's a website addressing the real issues! I was gutted when I voted in the local council elections last year and there was no sausage sizzle at my polling station. The whole experience just felt wrong.

Sounds like this came straight from Slogans for Bogans.

:lol: This made me laugh perhaps more than it should've.

Back
Top Bottom