Australian federal election: 7 September - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #316
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:57 PM
I'm definitely in favour of Albo, but either way I'm just keen for the party to set itself up to knock off Tone in a single term.

Taking a longer perspective, hopefully one day we'll have a PM Plibersek and the country will behave in a more civilised manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Remember when Brendan Nelson was Leader of the Opposition. It was fleeting and felt interim, and I don't think the Libs had big ideas of him eventually leading them to government.
Oh glorious times, when we all thought the Libs were so utterly fucked post-Howard that Rudd would be PM for an easy three terms minimum.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #317
Vocal parasite

Thoughts on Gillard's article for the Guardian?

Julia Gillard writes on power, purpose and Labor’s future | World news | theguardian.com

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #318
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Well Gillard makes some good points... although I suspect Labor's winning the national debate on historic achievements like Medicare and workplace regulation (to an extent) is historically contingent. Nothing inevitable about it. The Liberals under Howard were still talking about winding back Medicare in the late 1980s. Conversely, we're stuck with the godawful Job Network (a 1998 or 2001 victory for Labor might have been the last time that egg could have been unscrambled). I realise that's only a minor part of the piece.

The tragedy of the late government was the inability to articulate purpose.

Quote:
Labor must not make this error again. First and foremost it must claim and explain those legacy policies that have so profoundly shaped modern Australia, and that Tony Abbott, despite healthy and continuing poll leads, was too afraid to contest: fair work, education reform, disability care, health and aged care reform, the demands of the Asian century. These policies speak of our values and of our role as a social democratic party in the modern world. They show how we believe in sharing opportunity and sharing risk, how we are prepared to actively shape our future. They show we are a political party of purpose.
Funnily, it was only a matter of months ago that the Prime Minister was telling a union conference that this was a labour party, not a social democratic party. Still, I get that people have to tack to the prevailing winds of their audience.

Actually, that whole 'setting the alarm clock for 5am, work work work till you drop dead' rhetoric was one of the least attractive elements of Gillard's time at the top. What is the purpose of life, what constitutes the good life? Work for itself? Any work, as long as it's work?

About the task in opposition, Gillard is dead right of course.

Quote:
But there are things that must be quickly thrown overboard. The bizarre flirtation in the campaign with “economic nationalism” and the cheap populism of appearing anti-foreign investment must be chucked out now. Poor policies like the different corporate tax rate for the Northern Territory and the hugely expensive move of naval assets from Garden Island should be ditched.
Ouch, Kevin. No great difficulty here, however; I'm unconvinced that some of the aforementioned policies ever saw written form. I'm not entirely convinced that they ever existed except in the caffeine-soaked minds of Rudd and Hawker.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #319
45:33

^ I think most politicians do 5am till you drop. I don't know how they do it.

I hope history is much kinder to Gillard. It seems like it already is starting to be. Such a shame she wasn't able to cut through, thanks in part to a) a terrific anti-ALP campaign by the Libs b) too much background noise from the media and members of her own party c) a disappointing decline in Gillard's skills. I remember one episode of Q&A she was on her own, and she was really great, talking mostly about the carbon tax and why we needed to do something on the environment. Or what about the misogyny speech, which was lauded worldwide. Sadly not enough people saw it and she moddycoddled and tried to pander to the wider public but not really being herself (in my view).
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
^ I think most politicians do 5am till you drop. I don't know how they do it.
No doubt, but that is a grim and dismal aspiration for an average member of a wealthy society.

Quote:
I hope history is much kinder to Gillard. It seems like it already is starting to be. Such a shame she wasn't able to cut through, thanks in part to a) a terrific anti-ALP campaign by the Libs b) too much background noise from the media and members of her own party c) a disappointing decline in Gillard's skills. I remember one episode of Q&A she was on her own, and she was really great, talking mostly about the carbon tax and why we needed to do something on the environment. Or what about the misogyny speech, which was lauded worldwide. Sadly not enough people saw it and she moddycoddled and tried to pander to the wider public but not really being herself (in my view).
History will judge her well enough. Probably, if we are going to talk personality, she was most obviously herself on the floor of the house, where she basically owned Abbott, and not just that day.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Probably, if we are going to talk personality, she was most obviously herself on the floor of the house, where she basically owned Abbott, and not just that day.
From what I saw of QT, this is very true. But I don't think she came off as good as that to the general public, which was certainly not entirely her fault.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That's the thing, yes.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Also I 100 per cent disagree with Gillard on the new leadershit election rules, whatever the wacky circumstances of their introduction. Neither Rudd nor Gillard have any say in that now, it's done.

Evolve and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #324

New cabinet. No minister for science. One woman.

Tony Abbott's first Ministry
Old 09-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #325
Vocal parasite

I think you guys have largely covered my thoughts on Gillard's article. I know a lot of people who loved it - I liked it, but with some qualifications, and it would've been nice if she'd pursued some of the attitudes in that article whilst in power (don't we always say that about ex-leaders?).

As for the new cabinet:

No Minister for Science, for the first time in eighty years.
No Minister for Climate Change.
No Minister for Energy.
No Minister for Youth.
No Minister for Higher Education.
No Minister for Workplace Relations.
No Minister for the Disabled.
No Minister for Early Childhood.
No Minister for the Status of Women.
No Minister for Aged Care.
No Minister for Energy.

BUT!!!

There's a Minister for Sport!
There's a Minister and an Assistant Minister for Border Protection!
AAAND there's a "Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC"!

What a winner.

Welcome to Abbott's Australia, everybody.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #326
Vocal parasite

I realise I repeated Energy. Replace that second one with no Minister for Water, because there's certainly no ministry for that either. Because managing water in this arid, dry, harsh continent is definitely not an increasingly pressing issue requiring federal co-ordination. River catchments acknowledge state borders, don't they? Don't they?!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #327
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

A deeply unserious government.

The optimistic assessment might be that they're there now and everyone can just relax and go to sleep for three years (ie. them, the ones warming the benches). I doubt we'll be so lucky.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #328

Well I guess the counter argument is that it's a more streamlined cabinet, with several of those titles to fall under others like Environment, Health, etc. But yeah, it's a bit harrowing to see the portfolios that have been dumped. There was one for Mental Health with ALP.

I get all rage-y when people start belittling sport on a national, governmental level, so I won't start that argument.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #329
Vocal parasite

Streamlining cabinet is one thing. Cutting a ministry for science is quite another. I don't see how cutting the Treasurer or the Minister for Defence would be any less absurd. A number of other missing ministries I named are also national priorities and/or their exclusion reflects a callous indifference to the poor, the marginalised, or the future in light of what industries have survived the "streamlining".

As for the sport matter, I mean not to belittle it - rather that promoting it to a ministry of its own when it has sat quite comfortably within other ministries, while turfing out issues relevant to the long-term sustainability of Australian society and economy, is a blatant example of misplaced priorities. This is especially the case when the government is meant to be the national leader in the promotion and implementation of science, while it does not and should not have that role in sport.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #330
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Good work keeping this the no. 1 FYM thread btw, guys. With your help, we can make this the best Kony 2013 ever!

Tags
australia, australian politics, kevin rudd, tony abbott