Australian federal election: 7 September - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #151
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Far-right micro-parties are all in bed with each other and exist for funnelling preferences - what a shock; who knew; boy oh boy wowee! Liberal Democrats, Smokers Rights Party controlled by same interests | Crikey

Add Glenn Druery to the mix and it gets all the more dodgy.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 AM
I find libertarians to be quite frightening types, to be honest.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #153
Vocal parasite

Seriously, the LDP's economic policy is completely deranged.

I fear they pick up some votes/preferences on the basis of their name too. People see it and think it's fairly benign, perhaps a local equivalent of the UK's centrist party of the same name. At least New Zealand's libertarians are honest and run under the - excruciatingly punful - name Libertarianz.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

As I've hinted earlier they're going on a sort of 'recruiting' rampage on Tumblr, trying to get attention by asking people to vote for them.

On a hilarious side note, compare this LDP to the Russian party of the same name.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #155
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
As I've hinted earlier they're going on a sort of 'recruiting' rampage on Tumblr, trying to get attention by asking people to vote for them.
Yeah, I've got that impression from Charlotte. Sounds like they're trying way too hard to seem "hip" and "with it".

Quote:
On a hilarious side note, compare this LDP to the Russian party of the same name.
Hahaha, I can't believe this hadn't occurred to me. Oh Zhirinovsky, where to even begin!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Zhirinovsky makes folks like Abbott and Palmer seem like reasonably decent human beings. That speech he made to the UN/EU(not sure which one?) was probably one of the most hilarious political speeches I've ever heard, and fortunately everybody in the room was facepalming.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #157
Vocal parasite

Two very interesting articles for FYM's consideration.

Firstly, those suspicions that some of the right-wing micro-parties exist simply to funnell preferences? They seem to be well-founded: Liberal Democrats, Smokers Rights Party controlled by same interests | Crikey

Secondly, the Guardian's got a good opinion piece contrasting the Wikileaks Party with the Pirate Party. After digging around on the Pirates' website and being impressed both by the majority of their policies and their transparency, it's safe to say I'll be giving them high preferences. Wikileaks looked promising but their implosion over the past week has put paid to that. The WikiLeaks party could learn about transparency from the Pirate party | Asher Wolf | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Assange could be good if he wasn't a libertarian (ie. Rand Paul best US hope) and a rapist (assuming the accusations are true). It's cute that it's a progressive left/somewhat social democratic country let's him stay in their embassy.

The Pirate Party seem decent. Given the lack of decent parties I'll likely be giving them a high-ish preference.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #159
Vocal parasite

It's interesting that the Wikileaks Party website, last I checked, had very little to say about economics. They do, however, oppose the privatisation of the ABC and SBS, so they're not quite as radically libertarian as, say, the LDP. As for the allegations about Assange it certainly gives me pause, but ultimately our legal system relies upon the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Oh, and if anybody's bored this Sunday arvo, I meant to post that Antony Green's Senate calculator is live: Antony Green's Election Calculator - Australia Votes | Federal Election 2013 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Aside from the basic sussness of Assange himself (talking politics here), I regard the Wikileaks party as a fundamentally unserious exercise. In fact - leaving aside various independents - I'd have a hard time supporting any party that does not at least in theory have a vision for governing (that is, aspires in some non-vague way to someday be a party of government). That does include The Greens as, while it's obviously very remote as any sort of likelihood inside the next thirty years, it is an acknowledged part of their raison d'être.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Secondly, the Guardian's got a good opinion piece contrasting the Wikileaks Party with the Pirate Party. After digging around on the Pirates' website and being impressed both by the majority of their policies and their transparency, it's safe to say I'll be giving them high preferences. Wikileaks looked promising but their implosion over the past week has put paid to that. The WikiLeaks party could learn about transparency from the Pirate party | Asher Wolf | Comment is free | theguardian.com
As an aside, I don't like to be the grammar police but that Guardian piece is just dire. I don't know if that's part of the broader 'Guardian Australian Edition' thing or not (which I am deeply unimpressed by after their recent and credulous reportage of certain seat-by-seat robopolls). On the basic points, ok, interesting info.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #162
Vocal parasite

I honestly think the Guardian's a good few steps ahead of The Age/SMH in quality of reporting. Lenore Taylor and Katharine Murphy have been covering the election really well. It's just a shame the Guardian runs a fairly narrow selection of news; I still need The Age just for basic around-Melbourne sort of stuff and they're usually quicker with breaking news.

That said, I agree with you completely on their reportage of the robopolls. Terrible methodology and hard to take seriously. What baffled me, though, is that The Age ran a really good piece criticising it - yet has kept reporting the polls with the same credulous reporting as the Guardian!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I honestly think the Guardian's a good few steps ahead of The Age/SMH in quality of reporting. Lenore Taylor and Katharine Murphy have been covering the election really well. It's just a shame the Guardian runs a fairly narrow selection of news; I still need The Age just for basic around-Melbourne sort of stuff and they're usually quicker with breaking news.

That said, I agree with you completely on their reportage of the robopolls. Terrible methodology and hard to take seriously. What baffled me, though, is that The Age ran a really good piece criticising it - yet has kept reporting the polls with the same credulous reporting as the Guardian!
Well in fairness, I doubt that any of these mastheads are unified conspiracies, I doubt any of them are terribly coordinated in this era. The dissonance is understandable.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #164
45:33

The Guardian Australia has been a godsend. I've already lost count of the amount of good pieces I've read on there, and it's so great to have another non-right-wing publication.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've lost count of the number of times I've bashed my head against the desk.

Tags
australia, australian politics, kevin rudd, tony abbott