Australia 'racist' and 'backwards' - Sol Trujillo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadForIt

Refugee
Australia 'racist & backward' | Stuff.co.nz

Controversial former Telstra chief Sol Trujillo has taken a swipe at Australia describing the nation he called home for four years as racist, backward and like "stepping back in time''. Asked in a BBC interview whether there was racism in Australia, Mr Trujillo said: "I think it was evident in a lot of ways with me personally but more importantly with others.'' His comments have shocked some, including the head of the American Chamber of Commerce in Australia. Asked if Kevin Rudd's 'adios' comment was racist, former Telstra CEO Sol Trujillo tells his BBC interviewer that Australia is a backward country.

"I was quite flabbergasted to hear his comments,'' said the chamber's chief executive, Charles Blunt. "And I was quite shocked.''
Mr Trujillo, who earned millions at the helm of the one-time taxpayer-owned telecommunications giant, cited what he described as "restrictive'' historical immigration policies and "events over the past five or 10 years'' that the report did not specify.
"I would say that Australia definitely is different [from] the US. In many ways it was like stepping back in time,'' he said in the interview, which was broadcast in part by ABC Radio this morning.
He said he was sure that would continue.
"But my point is that [racism] does exist and it's got to change because the world is full of a lot of people and most economies have to take advantage - including Australia - of a diverse set of people.
"If there is a belief that only a certain people are acceptable versus others, that is a sad state.''

Mr Trujillo's tenure at Telstra was characterised by controversy, including a scuffle with the Federal Government over the national broadband network and a sharp fall in the share price of the widely owned stock.
When Mr Trujillo's resignation was announced recently, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd gave this simple response: "Adios.''

During his time at Telstra, American-born Mr Trujillo, who has Mexican heritage, was often portrayed as Mexican. He was often referred to as one of the 'three amigos' and his battles with governments were sometimes referred to as Mexican stand-offs. Mr Blunt said he thought the "culture of Australian society and business is quite open and accepting of new ideas... "The whole country has a history of adopting foreign ideas from overseas readily... The only qualification is that they have to prove themselves to be good ideas.''

Other business groups contacted by BusinessDay declined to comment on the controversial issue today. Mr Trujillo left Australia this month, weeks before his expected departure date on June 30.

"Many Australians have come up to me and they've apologised, because they're embarrassed by that kind of behaviour,'' Mr Trujillo told the BBC of some of the criticism he had received during his stay.
A spokeswoman for Mr Rudd told the ABC that Mr Trujillo's statements were ridiculous comments that would disappoint Australians who welcomed him to this country.

Trujilo makes a perfectly legitimate comment, and every public figure goes into a state of denial and changes the topic rapidly.

Some Aussie responses on A blog
blogs.thewest.com.au � Blog Archive � NEWS BLOG - Was Sol Trujillo out of line?

This is a standout response

"What was pure unaulterated arrogance, was “Drudgehello’s” first media conference where his first words were to advise us of the correct way to pronounce his name!! He never did get or bothered to try and understand the “Australian way”, but rather set out to convert us to his “way”, even importing his clones as foot soldiers. Now THAT is downright racist.
I would like to say, “Adios Drudgehello, and may more of your appointed ‘taco telco terrorists’ follow the same route!”

I suppose we are fairly backwards. We still recognise the Queen as our head of state which is unforgivable.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we are a racist country, just a country with a lot fo racists who don't really understand that they are racist. Rudd probably wouldn't have understood that Trujillo might have deemed "Adios" as being offensive in any way.

The whole idea about us being multicultural to me has always been more about there being multiple cultures living in the Australian community, as opposed to Australia being welcoming and accommodating and respectful of multiple cultures - the US (at least in states like New York, Cali, Massachusetts) has always appeared to be more legitimately multi-cultural than Australia.

I wouldn't know if we're more "racist" than the UNited Kingdom. We've had a few Indian students beat up in the West of Melbs in the past few months, seemingly racially motivated, but I'm sure similar stuff happens in the UK.

Why doesn't the Government do something for the aboriginal people, like put their children in good schools or with Christian foster families for awhile.
Give them a chance to improve themselves?

I think the UK has it sorted on multiculturalism
You cant get away with calling someone a 'paki', 'wog' or any other derogatory name

Think of London and Birmingham. Two massive cities with a large none white population and there must be a handful of incidents per year involving race

From an outside perspective, the aussies seem to get away with saying more offensive stuff. In the aftermath of the lebanese riots in sydney a couple of years ago there was a story for BBC commenting on how each side was allowed to get away with saying some pretty bad stuff. That led to more tension and violence. Same with the heated Aussie-India cricket series in 2008, the 'bollyline series.'

e.g

Cronulla_riots_2_-_no_lebs.jpg

Obviously we have the BNP in the UK but every effort is made to villify the party and anyone who openly states their membership to it is in trouble as i remember a case where a police officer and a teacher were sacked for being found on the memberhsip list.

My asian mate went travelling to aus and loads of times people would'nt accept he is British (even though born in Birmingham)
Kept calling him Imran Khan as his first name was Imran (annoyed him quite a bit)

Why doesn't the Government do something for the aboriginal people, like put their children in good schools or with Christian foster families for awhile.
Give them a chance to improve themselves?

they tried something like that. it was a rather disgusting violation of human rights and general good taste towards other human beings.

also, that is so contradictory. you're saying the only way they can improve themselves is to have christian families do it for them?

At a cursory glance I think there is more - or less - to this than meets the eye. In Mr Trujillo's case, it is only partially about race. The dislike, such as there is, has a whole hell of a lot more to do with the nature of his tenure. Bringing in a bunch of US gung-ho capitalists to run a private but formerly-publicly-owned monopoly utility in a nation with very different traditions about this sort of thing than the US... it just didn't go down too well.

Telstra's attitude toward a lot of things is unfortunately high-handed and they are very lucky to not be forcibly broken up as an entity. Of course not all of that has to do with Mr Trujillo, but he played his part.

As for Australia being racist, I am inclined to paraphrase Basil Fawlty about the customer's demand for an airy room.... well, there's racist people in it! I don't think it is unique in that regard, among the human race.

I think the UK has it sorted on multiculturalism
You cant get away with calling someone a 'paki', 'wog' or any other derogatory name

Actually I found Britain to have quite significant racial undertones as compared to Canada (which I would say has the best functioning multicultural society in the Commonwealth).

they tried something like that. it was a rather disgusting violation of human rights and general good taste towards other human beings.

also, that is so contradictory. you're saying the only way they can improve themselves is to have christian families do it for them?

it was just a suggestion

they should know there is more to life than walkabout and dingo pups

I have travelled to a reasonable number of countries. Australia is the only country where a waitress, on asking and being told my nationality, made a rather unfunny anti-Irish joke. Just saying. I think though that an element of the anti-Irish sentiment in some parts of Australia, if indeed there is such a thing, is caused by the behaviour of the more bovine element of our lagered-up 'backpackers' when they travel there.

Edit: Don't want to bash Australia. It's also one of the friendliest countries I have encountered.

I wouldn't take deep at face value here....

i'm reminded why i only come in here to stir the pot normally, lol

you don't like puppies :wink:

true, kittens are where it's at.

I have travelled to a lot of countries. Australia is the only country where a waitress, on asking and being told my nationality, made a rather unfunny anti-Irish joke. Just saying. I think that though an element of the anti-Irish sentiment in some parts of Australia, if indeed there is such a thing, is caused by the behaviour of the more bovine element of our lagered-up 'backpackers' when they travel there.

i'm going to queensland with my fiancee soon. i'm wondering who is going to get it worse...me, the new zealander, or her, the american. as you said in your edit, it can be very friendly as well.

I don't really know that much about AU

I have seen the movies Rabbit Proof Fence, The Proposition and attended a couple of Midnight Oil concerts (back in the day)

I really am not qualified to weigh in on AU race relations.

I do believe we all have bias, the only question is how much we are able to identify these bias,
so we can challenge them and take them into consideration when we are forming our opinions.

i'm going to queensland with my fiancee soon. i'm wondering who is going to get it worse...me, the new zealander, or her, the american. as you said in your edit, it can be very friendly as well.

Surfer's has a lot of Kiwis (I bought a necklace from a Maori artist when I was there last) and they're used to tourists, so I don't think you'll get much or any of a problem. Depends where you go, though - there are some dodgy streets in the city and bad pubs, but as I expect that's likely not the scene you guys are after, I fully expect you won't get any sort of a hard time.

I have travelled to a reasonable number of countries. Australia is the only country where a waitress, on asking and being told my nationality, made a rather unfunny anti-Irish joke. Just saying. I think though that an element of the anti-Irish sentiment in some parts of Australia, if indeed there is such a thing, is caused by the behaviour of the more bovine element of our lagered-up 'backpackers' when they travel there.

I have never seen any anti-Irish sentiment, but it probably varies from region to region, like you said. But if anything, I think a great number of white Australians are proud of their Irish heritage, as a majority of the early Europeans here were from there, and on the whole I think the reputation Irish people have here is something along the lines of "charming". In my experience, anyway. But you guys talk too much and fuck potatoes, and this country is full, so get the fuck out and leave us alone. :'^(

Surfer's has a lot of Kiwis (I bought a necklace from a Maori artist when I was there last) and they're used to tourists, so I don't think you'll get much or any of a problem. Depends where you go, though - there are some dodgy streets in the city and bad pubs, but as I expect that's likely not the scene you guys are after, I fully expect you won't get any sort of a hard time.

true, i was mainly going for a laugh. i usually get the worst of the kiwi jokes from the family i have over there :lol: maybe if we went to a shithole like ipswich it might be more amusing. i'll tell her to leave her america > you shirt at home.

At a cursory glance I think there is more - or less - to this than meets the eye. In Mr Trujillo's case, it is only partially about race. The dislike, such as there is, has a whole hell of a lot more to do with the nature of his tenure. Bringing in a bunch of US gung-ho capitalists to run a private but formerly-publicly-owned monopoly utility in a nation with very different traditions about this sort of thing than the US... it just didn't go down too well.

Telstra's attitude toward a lot of things is unfortunately high-handed and they are very lucky to not be forcibly broken up as an entity. Of course not all of that has to do with Mr Trujillo, but he played his part.

As for Australia being racist, I am inclined to paraphrase Basil Fawlty about the customer's demand for an airy room.... well, there's racist people in it! I don't think it is unique in that regard, among the human race.

Kieran, it's posts like this that confuse the issue. It's much easier for everyone to get all righteous and angry over it. Keeps it simple.

From an outside perspective, the aussies seem to get away with saying more offensive stuff. In the aftermath of the lebanese riots in sydney a couple of years ago there was a story for BBC commenting on how each side was allowed to get away with saying some pretty bad stuff. That led to more tension and violence. Same with the heated Aussie-India cricket series in 2008, the 'bollyline series.'

The Cronulla riots were utterly shameful, from both the Anglo-Saxon and Lebanese sides. It was hardly representative of attitudes in all of Australia, and most people were horrified by it.

A big reason why Australian nationalism in predominately white circles is to do with the Bali bombings in 2002. Call it our 9/11 if you must. Excessively right-wing patriotism, along with ugly southern-cross tattoos have gone through the roof since then. To my understanding, a huge number of such nationalists reside in Sydney where there are a few Lebanese gangs (although obviously there are people of Lebanese descent all over Australia, including more rural areas, the population is concentrated in NSW) that they can yell derogatory remarks at, and vice-versa. I'm not really willing to get further into it, especially since I haven't been to Sydney in years and I'm just writing off of word of mouth, but it seems to be a pretty bad problem in a number of Sydney suburbs, though by no means all of Australia, even if each state has had some iffy events in more recent history (not the full history, as of course it's sickening, and I won't get into the many large massacres of indigenous people that aren't common knowledge or taught about in schools, like for instance Wounded Knee and Sand Creek are in America. The general idea of Australian history to white Australians and probably a lot of the rest of the world is something along the lines of "they were all naked and didn't know what fire was, then we showed up and brought them culture and goonbags").

true, i was mainly going for a laugh. i usually get the worst of the kiwi jokes from the family i have over there :lol: maybe if we went to a shithole like ipswich it might be more amusing. i'll tell her to leave her america > you shirt at home.

Haha yeah, Bundaberg or Ipswich would probably get a good anecdote or two. Also, seriously tell her to bring that shirt - hey, I'm going to wear one of these when I go to Victoria next. ;)

Surfer's has a lot of Kiwis (I bought a necklace from a Maori artist when I was there last) and they're used to tourists, so I don't think you'll get much or any of a problem.

Speaking as a New Zealander who lived on the Gold Coast for nine years, the Kiwi jokes and insults were non-stop. I think the high concentration of New Zealanders there just accentuates it further.

Then again, it's hardly exclusive to the Gold Coast, and sometimes it feels as if some Australians need to keep mocking New Zealand to hide their own inferiority complex. I'm just lucky that my accent is so blurred nowadays that people aren't 100% sure if I'm a Kiwi or an Aussie, so I don't cop it like I used to.

As far as the original topic goes, I think white Australia posesses some extremely deep, systemic racism, though I would say this is most acute towards the Aboriginal population.

as a non-Australian who remains fascinated by Oz, i just want to say that i find this conversation itself fascinating -- just as i find race relations and immigration issues fascinating in the UK and Ireland and much of Europe ... not so much in the US and Canada where i think there's not less racism, but at least it's more understood and issues of national identity aren't quite as hotly contested -- and i hope it continues and i learn ever more about the subject.

Then again, it's hardly exclusive to the Gold Coast, and sometimes it feels as if some Australians need to keep mocking New Zealand to hide their own inferiority complex.

And vice-versa a lot of the time...

Just kidding, but seriously, I hate Kiwi jokes, I hate Aussie jokes, I think all of that is fucking stupid and probably classified as humour 50 years ago, but now they're just frustrating.

Relevantly, though, and certainly showing that your post was rather on the ball otherwise, someone explain to me how this Facebook group has nearly 60,000 members, including people I know, and why it hasn't been shut down: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46608119260#/group.php?gid=48449193335

Racism exists in Australia, to a degree.

More needs to be done for Aboriginal people, but a lot of them don't help themselves. Sorry, it's true.

The whole leb/wog thing... well I'm Italian, and I don't have a problem with racism... my dad did, but that's over now. You can sort of feel it simmering under the surface sometimes, but that's only with ignorant people. I go to a conservative university, and have not experienced any racism, save for my mates calling me 'guido' or 'ginzo' as a joke or whatever, and we dish it back to each other...

I understand the issue with Lebanese people - it's a direct result of Lebanese gang violence, which is very much similar to the way that I've experienced Italian youths feel the need to be different somewhat rebellious to a degree, because they brand themselves wogs. When you brand yourself something, you stick together with people who come under that brand, and when you have a pack of people who feel like they're being ostracized or they're different, and you give them some drinks, then people get angry and that's when violence occurs.

I think Sol is a fuckhead, but that's another issue. But yeah, that's what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom