Australia 'racist' and 'backwards' - Sol Trujillo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia does have racism like every society. To the poster who said you can't call someone a 'paki' in UK, do you think it doesn't happen? Get real! You have mass racism in your youth with a lot of gang killings and terrible racism, yet I don't think of the UK as some backwards country.
Also NZ and Australia have always bashed each other over stuff yet we'd be the first in for each other if something happened. There no hatred its tongue in cheek ribbing, like canada and the US. We both gasp if someone calls us the wrong nationality and pay each other out, but its fun, not rude.

I think some people doesn't get aussie humour. We take the piss out of everyone, including ourselves. We don't like people who think they are shit hot and act accordingly, we feel the need to take em down a few pegs. We are not a society where we champion every amazing thing (except stupid sportsmen). We like to joke around. Sometimes people take offence, but that is their problem. Sol obviously doesn't have a sense of humour and he's also a bastard.

The UK is far from perfect
A lot of people i know are racist, but they think they are not.

But in terms of the government, on paper they have addressed the issue of multiculturalism quite well and Black/Asian people have a big influence on UK culture.
Every country is racist, but i wouldnt put the UK at the top of that league...yet
I expect the BNP to do really well in the upcoming council elections. When its recession and people lose their jobs, the immigrants get the blame so they will do well in shitholes like Stoke and Burnley.

The national dish is now the Chicken Tikka Masala
Here is some UK 'racism' lol

YouTube - Goodness Gracious Me!

Bonnie's example of that facebook group is a fantastic example.

I won't say we're a racist country, but I think a lot of people are probably discrimatory without realising it.

Something some people have to undestand however is that a lot of it has to be taken in context, as Amy says, our 'humour' has a bit to do with it.

For example. I'm of German background. If I had a dollar for the amount of times I've been called a nazi or racist.. the sudanese kids at our high school both called themselves niggers and were called it, didn't mind. The wogs gladly wore the tag. It goes on and on.

It's a never ending cycle. Asians are stigmatised here. The recent stabbing of a bloke in Brunswick by three Asian men has definitely raised the ire of many of my 'aussie' mates. I won't say what they've said. I know plenty of people too, who would've taken part, or say they would have, in the Cronulla riots.

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen...:shrug:

I think the Sol/telstra issue and the racisit issue are 2 different things.

Sol was a huge pain in the arse to our government who wouldnt indulge his coporate greed. Our business and tax laws are different to america and Sol didnt like it. the adios comment may have been more of a "so long you pain in the butt" than a direct mexican taunt. i doubt our prime minster would be as stupid as to blatantly make a racist comment in the open media. (then again this is K Rudd...)

as in terms of being backwards/racist- we are a young country and immigration and intergration are things we still struggle with, it take many generations to create a truly diverse and cohesive society. it will take real constitutional and societal change to lose the racist undertones. for alot of us brought up in white families going back to settlement it was just something you were raised with and it takes a while to break out of the racist mold and build your own view of the world. if you live in a county town or regional centre then multiculturalism is still a bit of an unknown and going out for pizza or chinese is exotic!
however there are many communities out there striving for change and making it better. just give it another generation or two.

As for the treatment of Aboriginal people - the majority of australians are absolutely aghast the tragedy that has occured there. that is a fuck up of epic propotions that needs a multitude of solutions and it needs to come from within Aboriginal communities in consultation with Aboriginal elders.

Fair call. There's not much more that irks me than people who think they couldn't get more Australian because they're willing to punch a bunch of lebanese.

We were talking about the prospects of a World War III a few years ago in school, and how people in past wars lied about their ages to go and fight and serve - though had they known about the real conditions, they likely wouldn't have done so - and we were all asked. I remember being the only kid who said I wouldn't go and fight, and I was completely ostracised for it. I stand by that.

Fair play to you
For me, being in the armed services has always been seen as the shittiest job in the world. It makes no sense to me to do a job where there is a high possibility of getting killed

In the UK we think AUS is great due to Neighbours and Home and Away. All nice and sunny, life by the beach just chilling out. In all my time of watching either soap i can only remember 3 none white actors on the shows. A black girl who killed herself by jumping off a cliff in Home and Away. A Tibetan girl in Neighbours who was in there for a bit and now a new Korean girl. Neighbours were asked to diversify it up a bit.

The UK soaps have loads of non-white characters, e.g. Coronation St has the legendary Dev Alahan

last time i watched it neighbours and home and away were fictional shows on commercial tv. and they were crap.

the ABC has a far better selection of broadcast with actors of all types covering a wide and diverse range of topics.

speaking of topic what was the point of this thread again ?

Well, the offensiveness of "wog" was partly diluted by this cliche-driven and pretty forgettable movie called "The Wog Boy" which was a bit a hit back in Oz a few years back (2000, I think), written by Nick Giannopolous, and it kinda spawned a bit of a "wog" pride thing for a while. In fact, back in my high school days around this period, people aspired to be "wogs" or adopt stereotypical "wog" traits. Strange period.

Well, the offensiveness of "wog" was partly diluted by this cliche-driven and pretty forgettable movie called "The Wog Boy" which was a bit a hit back in Oz a few years back (2000, I think), written by Nick Giannopolous, and it kinda spawned a bit of a "wog" pride thing for a while. In fact, back in my high school days around this period, people aspired to be "wogs" or adopt stereotypical "wog" traits. Strange period.

ahh you forget acropolis now, wogs out of work and the other fine bodies of work of Nick Gianopolis! again using the fine tradition of taking the piss out of it to break down barriers. however that is going out of vouge and everyone is being PC again .

The , seriously tell her to bring that shirt - hey, I'm going to wear one of these when I go to Victoria next. ;)

Brilliant....:applaud:

I'd actually say Asians cop the worst of the racism here - some of the stuff I hear from people is quite extreme, and you see and hear it around uni now and then...must be awkward being an Aussie of Asian descent at universities.

I know that I myself, I must admit, unintentionally, because my degree is 95% non-Aussies, have avoided being in groups with a lot of East-Asian appearing people, knowing that many of them are very difficult to perform groupwork with and have severe difficulty communicating in English (their money talks louder than their merit). So there is prejudice on my part there, which I'm not proud of, and I must say it warms me when I meet Asian-Australians who I know I can work with effectively, yet it is only when they open their mouths when I can consider them as a viable group member. Again, I'm not proud of that....but yeah.

Irish jokes are Irish jokes, rarely spiteful. Didn't think it was just an Aussie thing.

ahh you forget acropolis now, wogs out of work and the other fine bodies of work of Nick Gianopolis! again using the fine tradition of taking the piss out of it to break down barriers. however that is going out of vouge and everyone is being PC again .

I am unfamiliar with the previous works of Nick Giannopolous...but it does appear as if wog is becoming re-offensive again...

"wog" here is an italian /greek sterotype or culture which is often celebrated in its own circle but not for outsiders , whereas "golliwog" in the UK is racist term relating to black people no?

fail. i loved it. but maybe because i'm a wog.

You guys have it tough out there

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Cash for Aussie 'grateful dead' :doh:

Have you had you handouts yet? Sponging off the state! :wink:

Hahahaha! That's Kruddler for you.

And yes, I got one of my handouts, although I thought I was eligible for another. I don't know, the whole thing is obviously shambles.

Oh and yeah, they were sent to Aboriginals, Asian-Australians, Indian-Australians, Arab-Australians, Jewish-Australians, African-Australians, Polynesian-Australians and Caribbean-Australians, as far as I know.

More like
$500 for the Aussie whites -all spent on anti immigration t-shirts, leftovers on a few tinnies
$250 for Asian and Africans spent on gym gear to toughen up + boarding up broken windows
$250 for Jewish Aussies - invested and turned into millions overnight
$200 for Aboriginals all spent on booze

More like
$500 for the Aussie whites -all spent on anti immigration t-shirts, leftovers on a few tinnies
$250 for Asian and Africans spent on gym gear to toughen up + boarding up broken windows
$250 for Jewish Aussies - invested and turned into millions overnight
$200 for Aboriginals all spent on booze

don't forget:
$500 for Indian-Australians to get their cab license
$250 for Polynesian-Australians to get gym memberships and tribal tattoos
$200 for Caribbean-Australians to pass the dutchie 'pon the left 'and side.

Some of you Aussies clearly are bad apples, especially with the Indians!

My nephew is not one to commit suicide: Harbhajan - UK - World - The Times of India

My nephew is not one to commit suicide: Harbhajan

1 Jun 2009, 2011 hrs IST, IANS

Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh, whose nephew Upkar Singh was found dead under mysterious circumstances in Melbourne, appealed to the Indian government to ensure the safety of students in Australia.

"I request the authorities to ensure that the guilty are brought to book and my nephew gets the justice he deserves. He was a young and dynamic individual who had chosen to go to Australia for studies and was diligently pursuing a successful career and was an asset to the community in Australia," Harbhajan, who is here to play in the World Twenty20, said in a statement on Monday.

Upkar's body was found near the railway track near his apartment in the Thornbury area of Melbourne on May 7. His father said the Australian police had not even conducted a post-mortem examination and closed the case, terming the death a suicide.

Harbhajan alleged that the Australian authorities are yet to disclosed the cause of Upkar's death.

"We were informed that Upkar committed suicide, but in the death certificate they didn't mention the cause of his death. Our family can't accept suicide claims made by police as Upkar was quite happy in Australia and was almost settled there," he said.

There have been four attacks on Indian students in quick succession, with the first incident reported May 9.

Hospitality graduate Rajesh Kumar received 30 percent burns a week ago after someone hurled a petrol bomb through the window of his Harris Park home in Sydney. Three attacks on Indian students took place in Melbourne.

AND

Australian cops punch, stomp on peaceful protesters - Rest of World - World - The Times of India

Australian cops punch, stomp on peaceful protesters

2 Jun 2009, 0112 hrs IST, TIMES NEWS NETWORK & AGENCIES

MELBOURNE: Indian students were punched in the head and stomped on the chest by cops during the Melbourne protest rally on Sunday. They were threatened with capsicum spray. One was admitted to the hospital after his "thumb was broken during the police attack", an eyewitness told an Australian newspaper.

To add insult to injury, they also found themselves on the wrong end of the law. Around 18 protesters were detained for “breaching peace”.

“I witnessed police officers stomp on a student’s chest. Other police officers repeatedly punched students in the face. A sitting protester was knocked unconscious by repeated punches to the head by a policeman,” Damian Ridgwell, Swinburne University Student Union president was quoted as saying in The Age.

“At least one baton was used to smash a protester’s legs, while the front row of students was threatened with capsicum spray,” said Ridgwell.

The protest rally was organised by the Federation of Indian Students of Australia. Banker Yogesh Malhotra said about 200 cops surrounded protesters and then moved in. “There was definitely excessive force by Victoria Police,” Malhotra told ABC Radio. “Six (cops) to one guy who was sitting down peacefully, who was punched and dragged.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom