Athens burns - is this a citizens' revolt against the corporatist EU elite? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Athens burns - is this a citizens' revolt against the corporatist EU elite?

Greece news, latest and breaking national news and regional news from Greece - Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/p...ng-guards.html

Quote:
Greeks complain that the cost of living has soared since the country adopted the euro in 2002. Costas Karamanlis, who won a second term in office last year, has won praise from the European Union for slashing budget deficits and pushing ahead with unpopular reforms and privatisation. But his efforts have met with violent street protests, often involving students.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:58 PM
I"m with the Greeks!

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.
~Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:58 PM
when governments no longer serve the interests of the people, the people need to take action to correct it. (a nice way of saying overthrow it)

not that we have to worry about that in the USA
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:58 PM
The Greeks like budget deficits? This just proves that if you incur a deficit don't expect that it will be popular to reduce it in the future.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Quote:
is this a citizens' revolt against the corporatist EU elite?
On some level, I think yes; but it would be simplistic not to also take modern Greece's long history of anarchist youth movements and their clashes with police and governments into account. This is not the first time this has happened there.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Refugee

I guess I don't understand the whole thing. Some kid pelted a police car with rocks, then threw a fire bomb at it, right?

I guess I would expect to get shot at after doing something like that. But then again, I live in Maryland, where the police point a gun at you for trying to report an accident.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Unrest that has gripped Greece for the past six days showed troubling signs of spreading across Europe, as violence erupted in several cities.

Angry youths smashed shop windows, attacked banks and hurled bottles at police in small but violent protests Thursday in Spain and Denmark, while cars were set alight outside a consulate in France. Protesters gathered in front of the Greek Embassy in Rome on Wednesday and some turned violent, damaging police vehicles, overturning a car and setting a trash can on fire.

Authorities say the incidents have been isolated so far, but acknowledge concern that the Greek riots — which started over the police killing of a 15-year-old on Saturday — could be a trigger for anti-globalization groups and others outraged by economic turmoil and a lack of job opportunities.

"What's happening in Greece tends to prove that the extreme left exists, contrary to doubts of some over these past few weeks," French Interior Ministry spokesman Gerard Gachet told The Associated Press. "For the moment, we can't go farther with our conclusions and say that there's a danger of contagion of the Greek situation into France. All of that is being watched."

As Europe plunges into recession, unemployment is rising, particularly among the young. Even before the crisis, European youths complained about difficulty finding well paid jobs — even with a college degree — and many said they felt left out as the continent grew in prosperity.
Greek-inspired demonstrations spread - Yahoo! News
Old 12-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
when governments no longer serve the interests of the people, the people need to take action to correct it. (a nice way of saying overthrow it)
The problems are largely related to the global economic crisis - e.g. high unemployment. So it may be beyond the ability of the Greek government (or any government) to correct it.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
On some level, I think yes; but it would be simplistic not to also take modern Greece's long history of anarchist youth movements and their clashes with police and governments into account. This is not the first time this has happened there.
I agree - it would be wrong to completely pigeon hole this issue as being that of 'anti-Eu.' There is a lot of public bad feeling in Greece what with low unemployment rates, the current economic crisis, the clashes with the police etc etc. I certainly think this will be a hard problem to deal with on the Governments part.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
The problems are largely related to the global economic crisis - e.g. high unemployment. So it may be beyond the ability of the Greek government (or any government) to correct it.
I would argue most of those that cause the trouble in the streets don't really care that much for the crisis (except for feeling vindicated that capitalism always was evil and had to break down at some point) and aren't directly affected by unemployment as they have been unemployed long before any crisis broke out.
Most of those that took to the streets violently are ultra-leftists who more or less waited for a reason to cause the troubles. They have been in fights for authorities for quite a long time.
You find such people in every major city in Europe, hence why it now spreads. It's like one or two years back when Danish authorities closed down a youth center in Copenhagen that was known for being a place to sell drugs. First the youth in Copenhagen threw stones and such, and soon other punks in Hamburg and Berlin joined them in solidarity, doing the same in these two cities.
The current crisis doesn't make them any more or less upset with authorities and the capitalist society at large.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:58 PM
I wish people actually knew what capitalism is before they knock it.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I have to agree with Vincent Vega here.

The old Greek woman I spoke to about this last week dismissed it as "punks & thugs" again, and didn't really seem to think much of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I have to agree with Vincent Vega here.

The old Greek woman I spoke to about this last week dismissed it as "punks & thugs" again, and didn't really seem to think much of it.
Wow. Pretty scientific.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Yep, it's a fair point. It's convenient for Eurofederalists to blame 'capitalism'.