Ask the Daughter of Lesbians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
Partially due to the recent reemergence of the Ask the Homo thread, particularly a few comments within it and the link to the gay adoption thread, and partially because of the fact that the issue seems always to be in the news, and partially because I've found that gay people my own age and a little older enjoy asking me questions about it, here goes...

Feel free to ask whatever.

since i don't know if you have two mothers or two fathers, do you feel that you've been denied a fundamental human right by not having opposite sex parents?

i ask, because the new anti-gay marriage line of thought is the idea that, "all children deserve a mother and a father," underscoring the notion that opposite-gendered parents are so critical to the development of a child that we must deny same-gendered couples any rights at all.

also, do you think it would have made any difference if your parents had been allowed to be legally married?

Irvine511 said:
since i don't know if you have two mothers or two fathers, do you feel that you've been denied a fundamental human right by not having opposite sex parents?

i ask, because the new anti-gay marriage line of thought is the idea that, "all children deserve a mother and a father," underscoring the notion that opposite-gendered parents are so critical to the development of a child that we must deny same-gendered couples any rights at all.

also, do you think it would have made any difference if your parents had been allowed to be legally married?

Don't worry, I know why you asked.

I have lesbian mothers, sorry should have said that. They've been together since before I was born (via artificial insemination). I have been denied no such thing - hell I'm fortunate to have had two parents and lived a middle class lifestyle with plenty of shuttling to soccer games, attending school concerts, etc. Lots of kids don't have that and THAT is the real crime, though I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say parents attending school concerts is a fundamental human right. Anyway, my parents (and I say that automatically instead of mothers, even in open settings, because it's something I trained myself to do when I went into the closet, so to speak, in elementary school) have many different aspects of their personality that are masculine and feminine, and we can have a discussion of the allocation of traditional gender roles if you want, but I have never wanted a father or felt like I was missing out. My parents are loving and supportive and that is what matters. I've had other male role models (I'm female, btw) including friends' fathers, uncles, grandfathers, and that other sort of uncle - my parents' gay male friends who we refer to as Uncle Bill, Uncle Jeff, Uncle Rob, etc. I have no problem interacting with guys, and although my closest friends at school are females and gay guys, I'm in a steady relationship with a guy and I have plenty of straight male friends. (Aided by my love of sports, which esp. straight guys relate to. and to preempt the stereotype, my love of sports was mostly self-developed, as one of my mothers hates sports and the other enjoyed baseball as a kid through her twenties but got away from it until I got really into it in my pre-teens and inspired her to get back into it as a mother-daughter bonding thing. We now have a pair of Red Sox season tickets.)

My parents are legally married, as we live in the greatest state in the country. :wink: They only dated for 8 months or so before I was conceived, actually, because they met at a group for single lesbians thinking about having children (kind of halarious, yes?) and my birth mother is 8 years older than my non-biological mother and was getting to the age where having a baby needed to happen soon. Anyway, when I was 2 they had a commitment ceremony with both sets of grandparents, plenty of gay and straight friends, etc. My sister was born (from my non-biological mother) when I was 4 and when I was about 6 or 7, can't remember exactly, we were one of the first families in MA to do a second-parent adoption, meaning that each of our non-biological mothers adopted us and thus both became our legal guardians. Then in 2004 my parents got married the week it became legal. Anyway, to address the substance of your question, yes, to some degree. For me it wasn't so much a big personal deal considring we'd done the 2nd parent adoption except for thinking about medical issues or whatever. But it didn't make a difference in terms of how we interacted as a family unit. When my parents did get married it was a big deal and a very happy occasion, and I don't want to minimize it, but it didn't change anything about our family or their relationship. They still celebrate the anniversary of their commitment ceremony as their primary anniversary, although we acknowledge both "Adoption Day" and their marriage date. But as a way of showing publicly that my family is equal, my parents' love is equal, yes, it is great. Gay marriage is very important to me as a civil rights/equality issue. On the other hand one friend my age felt very strongly about her mothers getting married, so strongly that although they didn't really care they married for her. (That week was quite the busy week for my family and many in the local community, running around to eachothers' weddings! Though my parents chose to have it be a private ceremony in our Rabbi's living room with just us and one set of grandparents that made it)

I guess, not to minimize the importance of marriage, because it is exteremly imortant as a civil rights issue, a practical/legal issue, etc, but as the slogan went at the many gay pride parades I went to as a kid, "Love makes a family." Marriage was a wonderful formalization of that, but to the idiot conservatives who think that by preventing gay marriage they will ward off the danger of gay couples having families, I've got news: There are thousands of gay families around the country and married or not they will still be families, act as families, and (gasp!) raise children.

Last edited:
Varitek said:
I guess, not to minimize the importance of marriage, because it is exteremly imortant as a civil rights issue, a practical/legal issue, etc, but as the slogan went at the many gay pride parades I went to as a kid, "Love makes a family." Marriage was a wonderful formalization of that, but to the idiot conservatives who think that by preventing gay marriage they will ward off the danger of gay couples having families, I've got news: There are thousands of gay families around the country and married or not they will still be families, act as families, and (gasp!) raise children.

:up:

you. rock.

your post made me choke up a bit. thank you, very much, for sharing.

another question: do you think it's "easier" for female couples to raise a child than male couples? i'm speaking not to any sort of gender-role stereotypes of women being better with kids (hey, i've taught preschool), but in terms of social expectations. we hear of lesbians with children all the time, but what about gay men with children (that arent' from a previous marriage)?

also, do your parents know any male/male couples with children?

Thanks, Irvine. :hug:

Yes, my parents do know several male/male couples with kids. I only know a few kids my age (I'm in college), one who was adopted and another whose family situation confuses me but I know he's got two gay dads, one of whom is biological, and his biological mother may or may not have been gay but they were friends or maybe romanically involved at one point. We know some gay male couples more recently who've had kids with surrogate mothers - one couple has used the same surrogate for 3 kids so far and refuses to tell anyone whose sperm went into which kid.

Varitek said:

Don't worry, I know why you asked.

I have lesbian mothers, sorry should have said that. They've been together since before I was born (via artificial insemination). I have been denied no such thing - hell I'm fortunate to have had two parents and lived a middle class lifestyle with plenty of shuttling to soccer games, attending school concerts, etc. Lots of kids don't have that and THAT is the real crime, though I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say parents attending school concerts is a fundamental human right. Anyway, my parents (and I say that automatically instead of mothers, even in open settings, because it's something I trained myself to do when I went into the closet, so to speak, in elementary school) have many different aspects of their personality that are masculine and feminine, and we can have a discussion of the allocation of traditional gender roles if you want, but I have never wanted a father or felt like I was missing out. My parents are loving and supportive and that is what matters. I've had other male role models (I'm female, btw) including friends' fathers, uncles, grandfathers, and that other sort of uncle - my parents' gay male friends who we refer to as Uncle Bill, Uncle Jeff, Uncle Rob, etc. I have no problem interacting with guys, and although my closest friends at school are females and gay guys, I'm in a steady relationship with a guy and I have plenty of straight male friends. (Aided by my love of sports, which esp. straight guys relate to. and to preempt the stereotype, my love of sports was mostly self-developed, as one of my mothers hates sports and the other enjoyed baseball as a kid through her twenties but got away from it until I got really into it in my pre-teens and inspired her to get back into it as a mother-daughter bonding thing. We now have a pair of Red Sox season tickets.)

My parents are legally married, as we live in the greatest state in the country. :wink: They only dated for 8 months or so before I was conceived, actually, because they met at a group for single lesbians thinking about having children (kind of halarious, yes?) and my birth mother is 8 years older than my non-biological mother and was getting to the age where having a baby needed to happen soon. Anyway, when I was 2 they had a commitment ceremony with both sets of grandparents, plenty of gay and straight friends, etc. My sister was born (from my non-biological mother) when I was 4 and when I was about 6 or 7, can't remember exactly, we were one of the first families in MA to do a second-parent adoption, meaning that each of our non-biological mothers adopted us and thus both became our legal guardians. Then in 2004 my parents got married the week it became legal. Anyway, to address the substance of your question, yes, to some degree. For me it wasn't so much a big personal deal considring we'd done the 2nd parent adoption except for thinking about medical issues or whatever. But it didn't make a difference in terms of how we interacted as a family unit. When my parents did get married it was a big deal and a very happy occasion, and I don't want to minimize it, but it didn't change anything about our family or their relationship. They still celebrate the anniversary of their commitment ceremony as their primary anniversary, although we acknowledge both "Adoption Day" and their marriage date. But as a way of showing publicly that my family is equal, my parents' love is equal, yes, it is great. Gay marriage is very important to me as a civil rights/equality issue. On the other hand one friend my age felt very strongly about her mothers getting married, so strongly that although they didn't really care they married for her. (That week was quite the busy week for my family and many in the local community, running around to eachothers' weddings! Though my parents chose to have it be a private ceremony in our Rabbi's living room with just us and one set of grandparents that made it)

I cannot believe you are only 19. Wow. You are a living breathing example of why all children are entitled to parents ( I really don't care what anatomy they come with and if they come in singles, pairs or even threes, a parent is a parent, and not everyone should have the right to be a parent).

I try to live a life in which the word line is nothing more than a function of linear imagery, and based on that premise there are very few role models out there. Your post gives me hope that while there are not many older role models, there are certainly some younger ones on the way :)

Irvine said it best: You. Rock.

Thank you for sharing :up:

I don't have a question for you, but wanted to thank you for sharing about your family situation.

You're very intelligent and articulate, and like Irvine and snow said, I think you rock!

Thanks for sharing. I don't have a question, I'm just glad you cleared up some misconceptions about gay relationships.

how did you come to understand that your family structure was a little bit different than others? did this ever cause you any angst/pain? how did you deal with it? how did your parents explain this difference to you?

(actually, i have a million questions ... now is a time when this forum feels too impersonal)

Irvine511 said:

another question: do you think it's "easier" for female couples to raise a child than male couples? i'm speaking not to any sort of gender-role stereotypes of women being better with kids (hey, i've taught preschool), but in terms of social expectations. we hear of lesbians with children all the time, but what about gay men with children (that arent' from a previous marriage)?

Realized I didn't answer this one. I think it might be easier, due to the very gender-role stereotypes you speak of, and to society being more accepting of lesbians in general.

And thanks guys, an embarassed/blushing smiley would be convenient here.

Irvine511 said:
how did you come to understand that your family structure was a little bit different than others? did this ever cause you any angst/pain? how did you deal with it? how did your parents explain this difference to you?

(actually, i have a million questions ... now is a time when this forum feels too impersonal)

This is hard to answer, because I don't really know when I became aware of it. As I mentioned earlier I've always had a group of friends with 2 mothers (our mothers were all in a baby-having support group). First there were babysitting arangements with them, then sleepovers and other gettogethers, for many years when I was about 8-13 there were week-long group vacations that involved other families with kids our younger siblings' age, then their younger siblings. To this day we all get together on christmas day, attend a hannukah party, and have a post-pride barbeque, and we used to do every new year's eve together and the aids walk together. So throughout my childhood I had a support group and a place to go where my family was "normal."

So, when did I realize my family was different? I insisted as a toddler/little kid that a gay babysitter (one of the "uncles") had two dads. And apparently for a while I called all parents Moms, which is ironic because around 1st grade I realized my life would be easier if I stopped calling my parents "moms" and called them "parents" and didn't explain to random kids in the girl's bathroom that I had two mothers, was artificially inseminated, etc. My family being different didn't cause any angst/pain directly, it was the homophobia around that caused angst and pain. For a while I tried telling people in 1st-3rd grade, when they asked what my father did, the job of one or the other of my mothers. My birth mother is the more traditionally male-gender-role parent, so it was confusing which one I should make my "father," (note that both are and always have been equally my mothers in emotional and practical manners, though only my biological mother nursed me because they hadn't been together for very long when I was born and she wanted that for herself. As a result, when my sister was born only my other mother nursed her. But I guess that little squabble isn't a concern to male couples...) and I switched off and generally confused myself. Then I started saying that I didn't have a father, which inner-city kids understood to mean he was dead or absent, and I'm not sure if they picked up on my use of "parents."

Anyway by the middle of elementary school I was fully hiding behind the word "parents" and general avoidance of conversations like that, though my close school friends were from my neighborhood and they and their parents were cool with it. Still, I'm not sure if it's how I am or because of my parents (mothers! see? even today...), but I was never the type to have friends over to my house very often, I usually went to theirs. The hurtful times came often, though, when "gay", "fag" etc were used as playground slurs. I always have been outspoken and socially concious, but on this one issue I could never speak up, afraid that by doing so people would somehow (I knew this was irrational) know I had two mothers. I remember one occasion in 3rd grade when my best friend stuck up for me, well maybe not for me but it felt like it, saying in response to somebody saying the word gay, "you shouldn't say that, that's racist, or sexist, or something," which I told my mothers later, giggling that she didn't know the word homophobic as a 3rd grader.

I went to a really liberal hippy-ish overnight camp starting when I was 9, with only about 25-30 kids in each age group who would return every year. There was a lesbian couple on staff and all the kids came from really liberal families and my councilors knew and there were other kids in other age groups with two mothers and plenty of older kids/counselors who were gay, but only a few of my closest friends knew until once when we were 13 and the whole group was having some discussion about gay rights (this was a very socially concious place). I "came out" to the whole group. Some of my closests friends there were just beginning to realize they were gay themselves. (by the way, I've always had remarkable gaydar.) That was the beginning of my own "coming out" experience, and before freshman year the girls on the soccer team (I'd been on it for a year already, I went to a 7-12 school) kind of guessed and asked and I remember standing by the goal and thinking "oh what the hell, time to stop hiding, there's nothign wrong with it and if people have a problem with it that's their problem and they're probably people who aren't worth worrying about anyway." I joined the GSA that year and never again lied or hid from it when it came up, though I certainly wasn't and still don't come right out and say "hi, I'm soandso and I have two mothers," as my younger sister was known to do on occasion (she has basically no social tact, actually diagnosed with social learning disabilities, and she mortified me at more than one doctor's office, public place, etc by doing this...)

My parents never really "explained this difference" that I can remember. My family was the way it was, and others were the way they were, and I never really asked them about it, though I related a few stories to them here and there and I'm sure they said all the right things. My mother (see I always go singular with that word, without specificity, which confuses people to no end..."wait, your mother is a software engineer? I thought you said she was computer illiterate!") was always amused by the girl in 2nd grade who thought it wasn't fair that I had 2 mothers and she only had 1.

I think especially for the oldest child that the kind of peer group I had is really important and I can't imagine growing up in isolation, rurally or in an isolated suburban situation. In high school I spent a few months as an older-but-not-as-old-as-the-social-worker role model for a group of middle school girls whose mothers had put them into a program run by a local gay-oriented health center. These girls hadn't had anything like the support system I'd had, and were all at that awkward awful preteen moment anyway. Some had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the group, one wouldn't talk about her parents even though they and we had made it perfectly clear this was a group full of girls with gay parents.

Sorry I'm so long-winded! Anyway ask all the questions you want - sorry you can't PM me, I haven't paid up, but my email is raizen head@hotmail. com.

Quite a few of us are long-winded around here :shifty: , I wouldn't worry about that.
Varitek said:
As I mentioned earlier I've always had a group of friends with 2 mothers (our mothers were all in a baby-having support group). First there were babysitting arangements with them, then sleepovers and other gettogethers, for many years when I was about 8-13 there were week-long group vacations that involved other families with kids our younger siblings' age, then their younger siblings. To this day we all get together on christmas day, attend a hannukah party, and have a post-pride barbeque, and we used to do every new year's eve together and the aids walk together. So throughout my childhood I had a support group and a place to go where my family was "normal."
Actually, as a parent, that kind of support system makes me feel envious--other families may be more "normal" but a network like that, where parents and children can socialize simultaneously with people of like sensibilities, you can know and trust your kids' friends' parents because they're your friends too, and you can all do almost extended-family-type stuff together that you'll remember for years--that sort of thing is a treasure, something that pretty much any family would benefit from but which all too few have. It's hard enough to cultivate that sort of connectiveness-affirming environment, no matter what your family is like. It's not compensation for the stigma of being different or anything, and I can only imagine how much harder it must be for kids who have neither the "normal" pass nor the support network, but it's a blessing, I think, to know that kind of community as a child, regardless of what other relationships you may have outside it.

Was it ever awkward coming of age as a heterosexual with gay parents? Do you think that's ever an issue for children of gay parents more generally? I can't imagine it'd be as difficult as being a gay child of straight parents, but it's not like like I'd know much about either from experience. Also, do you find that as a heterosexual you relate to all the reflexive, taken-for-granted iconic status our culture bestows on heterosexual relationships any differently?

And, totally off-topic...but, since these "Ask the...." threads tend to veer into autobiographical generalities anyway...what is it that you're studying abroad? Apologies if you've already discussed that elsewhere and I've just forgotten.

Yes, that kind of community is a treasure, an amazing experience. The 5 of us are very, very different now, as different as can be, people I'd never, ever hang out with if we met in college or something. People who wouldn't go to my college. But they are extended family, we keep in touch (badly sometimes), and most of us still make it to christmas. Two of the couples are "divorced" (long before they could actually have gotten married), one pair is the most amicable divorce in existance, no kidding they both got new houses but from day 2 interacted perfectly fine. The other divorce involved a much younger woman and now one of them is in NY, so we're scattering, but definately invaluable growing up and great to see people once or twice a year now.

I think it's not awkward at all. Gay parents know what it was like to have a sexual orientation that didn't feel normal or accepted, and I can't imagine any would create an environment in which their kid felt like their sexuality would be received hostiley. I never felt like I had to "come out" and if I'd been gay I probably wouldn't have felt that way either. In fact, not because they're lesbian but just because I'm me, I didn't tell them anything about my boyfriends until I got with the guy I'm with now in college, it became serious, and I wanted him to visit me over winter break. I'm sure they knew I was straight but still when my younger sister would be a nosey pest and say "Do you have a boyfriend" my mom would go "what if she has a girlfriend?" The tone was not one of pressure, or expectation, or hope, just teasing my sister for making an assumption. And I think having lesbian mothers left me more open to experiences with girls, not really bi-curious in the traditional sense but just "whatever happens happens." Then again it might not have been my mothers as my "experimentation" (meaning making out) was done at camp with a bunch of straight-spawn, so it could have been the liberal environment at camp. One of my friends from the childhood group is bisexual (truly so, though she goes for very effeminate guys). One of the guys is gay but won't admit it, well at least me and aforementioned girl think he is, which is strange because you'd think lesbian mothers would make you more open to your own sexuality, but to each his own.

The last part of your question is really interesting. I guess I'll answer its compliment first - I do relate well to gay culture, I have a lot of empathy for gay friends coming out as I had to "come out" at an age where my family was inseperable from myself and lived "in the closet" for a while. So get disgruntled that the heterosexual family/relationship is the norm, always have. (My parents were very good about providing me with the entire children's literature children-of-gays cannon - when I get back into the country I could type up a whole long list if anyone is interested.) And I do relate to the heterosexual symbols in our culture, but probably with a more open eye, knowing they aren't the only "normal" thing out there. I dunno, tough question. I'll have to think about it more.

At home I'm studying politics/economics with an eye towards the political/social side of development in Africa, but my program offers classes that are regionally focused but pretty general (and easy). Just enjoying a good travel base with family history and a language I've wanted to learn (though one that shouldn't be my accademic priority). Kind of like a semester off, but I have to sit in class several hours a week.

Last edited:
I dont know if I've got a question or a statement, as I think you came close enough to answering it above with a question from irvine. I've always found, and know it is the case with my own life, that we do not feel anguish or negatives over what is absolutely cemented and is an intrinsically structural part of our lives. I've always thought children with gay parents are going to be exactly the same. As an onlooker, we might wonder 'what does this kid do when he/she gets home? Is it strange to have two mums? Dont they feel it is not normal as per the standard of majority?' And really, this is a common view with any family structure which doesn't fit a majority standardisation. It is common because it is the outsider's view on looking in. If I do it it is because it is from my perspective. Your perspective is that you go home and ask what's for dinner and watch tv or walk your dog. Funnily enough, just like me. I dont go home and bask in my family's normality. I also dont go home and question why my sister is a different race and spend sleepless nights over inter-racial adoptions being destructive to my home life, or that of society in general. This is from my experience; and I have found that outsiders did to this to me. Regularly, actually. the outsider's view of me was 'doesn't it bother her that her sister is different and her family dont look the same? Doesn't she go home and wonder what life would be like if it fit the standard majority?' And ya know, I went home and wondered what was for dinner, or took the dog for a walk. Even during childhood teasing and all that, I never contemplated what it would be like with a sister who looked like me. How could I create a sister from thin air? My sister is black and has a giant afro. What would a sibling like me look like? I have no idea. I cannot imagine one. I assume it is like this for you. What would a father look like? I doubt you can answer it. I doubt you think about it. You live your life as it was handed to you. It just is.

am wondering where all of our anti-gay marriage, anti-gay adoption posters are ... i'm sure they have many, many questions and genuine concerns about the intrinsic right of every child to have a mother and a father since, as studies show, this is the BEST environment for a child and as such should be promoted because we all want to promote ideals and won't someone please think of the children?

right?

right?

:eyebrow:

How do you think things would be different for you if you had grown up in/if your family lived in a more conservative place? I remember seeing one of those MTV True Life shows (as silly as that sounds I thought it was a good show) about this teenage girl who wanted to be the bandleader at her high school, that was a huge goal for her. She had two moms and actually had to worry about how that would affect her chances at that. I felt so sorry about that and how unfair that was to her. I believe she ended up becoming band leader-she lived in a rural conservative place (I can't remember where). Even in MA, do you ever feel you are in a similar situation in which you could be discriminated against and treated unfairly just because you have gay parents?

martha said:

I was waiting for them to show up as well. But I'm sure that faced with an actual person, rather than a hypothesis, stereotype, or sermon, they'll sit this one out.

Reality is a hard thing to face.

Do you think that you (or even children of gay couples in general) may have a more well-rounded understanding of sexuality? What I mean is, I and many others grew up in more conservative, religious, hetero environments where sexuality is basically something that makes people uncomfortable. A lot of parents don't talk about it until it's too late. In your situation, I'm sure you realized early on that your family was different than the other kids' and at some point you'd have to realize it all boils down to the sexual orientation of your parents. In some ways, it seems like you're at an advantage over people like me, because my type of family is so "normal", parents don't discuss sexuality with their kids, or ever bring up the idea of treating EVERYONE with respect, and that homosexuality doesn't make someone less of a person, or a family less of a family....etc. It seems like in your case, having parents who are open about their sexuality and obviously value family, I might guess you've had more substantial discussions about sexuality at an earlier age than kids who grew up in conservative families.

I hope I'm making some sense...I have gay friends but I don't know anyone with gay parents so I've never been able to ask this question.

Angela Harlem said:
I dont know if I've got a question or a statement, as I think you came close enough to answering it above with a question from irvine. I've always found, and know it is the case with my own life, that we do not feel anguish or negatives over what is absolutely cemented and is an intrinsically structural part of our lives. I've always thought children with gay parents are going to be exactly the same. As an onlooker, we might wonder 'what does this kid do when he/she gets home? Is it strange to have two mums? Dont they feel it is not normal as per the standard of majority?' And really, this is a common view with any family structure which doesn't fit a majority standardisation. It is common because it is the outsider's view on looking in. If I do it it is because it is from my perspective. Your perspective is that you go home and ask what's for dinner and watch tv or walk your dog. Funnily enough, just like me. I dont go home and bask in my family's normality. I also dont go home and question why my sister is a different race and spend sleepless nights over inter-racial adoptions being destructive to my home life, or that of society in general. This is from my experience; and I have found that outsiders did to this to me. Regularly, actually. the outsider's view of me was 'doesn't it bother her that her sister is different and her family dont look the same? Doesn't she go home and wonder what life would be like if it fit the standard majority?' And ya know, I went home and wondered what was for dinner, or took the dog for a walk. Even during childhood teasing and all that, I never contemplated what it would be like with a sister who looked like me. How could I create a sister from thin air? My sister is black and has a giant afro. What would a sibling like me look like? I have no idea. I cannot imagine one. I assume it is like this for you. What would a father look like? I doubt you can answer it. I doubt you think about it. You live your life as it was handed to you. It just is.

This is completely right. Life is the way it is, and if it's something you're born into then it is natural to you.

As to if I think about a father, I have never fantasized/wondered about what having a father would be like (common question). I have thought about the man whose DNA I have in a scientific/psychological sense: I am a lot like my birth mother in many, many ways, but different too, and my sister and I are incredibly, unbelievably different (although people used to tell us we look alike...funny what knowing people are related can do, because we don't share a single spec of blood). So I've thought about the nature-nurture thing quite a bit, wondered what qualities I have that I attribute to myself or my environment that came from this man. And I've wondered a little about medical history.

MrsSpringsteen said:
How do you think things would be different for you if you had grown up in/if your family lived in a more conservative place? I remember seeing one of those MTV True Life shows (as silly as that sounds I thought it was a good show) about this teenage girl who wanted to be the bandleader at her high school, that was a huge goal for her. She had two moms and actually had to worry about how that would affect her chances at that. I felt so sorry about that and how unfair that was to her. I believe she ended up becoming band leader-she lived in a rural conservative place (I can't remember where). Even in MA, do you ever feel you are in a similar situation in which you could be discriminated against and treated unfairly just because you have gay parents?

It would have been much, much harder. I understand that there are many reasons people choose (or are forced) to live where they live, but I can't imagine that anyone would prefer their kids (and themselves) to live in such isolation. I am a very confident person and not afraid to be alone (be it in an opinion or travelling on my own), and I'm not sure if a conservative/rural/isolated environment would have amplified that trait or crushed it because I would have been so afraid to stand out in anything. Given that I kept my family a secret except from close friends, it might have been the same, but telling fewer people. Or I might have been very in-your-face to everyone just to prove a point. Really hard to say. Either way, having that group of childhood friends was probably more valuable than growing up in urban MA where homophobia (especially among young kids) did still exist.

I'm not sure if I ever was in a situation wehre I could have been discriminated against or if I hid my parents in all those possible situations. I'm sure they could have come up, if I lived in a small-town environment where everyone knew, in the form of a bigoted teacher or coach or someone else in a position of power.

I did get pissed off various forms throughout my childhood, from school permission slips to consent forms right up to college applications. They always said "mother" and "father," and we'd have to cross out "father" and fill in "mother 2." (Then I'd hide it from classmates when I handed it in.) Some forms as I got older switched to "parent/guardian 1 and 2" but the Common App for colleges had mother/father and that really pissed me off to the point where I refused to submit online and mailed them all so I could cross it out and correct it. (Besides, who knows, it might have been an asset in getting into the liberal places I applied.)

Liesje said:
Do you think that you (or even children of gay couples in general) may have a more well-rounded understanding of sexuality? What I mean is, I and many others grew up in more conservative, religious, hetero environments where sexuality is basically something that makes people uncomfortable. A lot of parents don't talk about it until it's too late. In your situation, I'm sure you realized early on that your family was different than the other kids' and at some point you'd have to realize it all boils down to the sexual orientation of your parents. In some ways, it seems like you're at an advantage over people like me, because my type of family is so "normal", parents don't discuss sexuality with their kids, or ever bring up the idea of treating EVERYONE with respect, and that homosexuality doesn't make someone less of a person, or a family less of a family....etc. It seems like in your case, having parents who are open about their sexuality and obviously value family, I might guess you've had more substantial discussions about sexuality at an earlier age than kids who grew up in conservative families.

I hope I'm making some sense...I have gay friends but I don't know anyone with gay parents so I've never been able to ask this question.

That's definately true - children of gay couples are automatically aware of sexuality, that there are differences among people's sexualities, and are automatically accepting of this. It didn't ever have to be discussed, although as I mentioned earlier there were plenty of good children's books about families with gay parents that had all the right messages in them. I also found that in my case I have a lot of empathy for people coming out.

Irvine511 said:
am wondering where all of our anti-gay marriage, anti-gay adoption posters are ... i'm sure they have many, many questions and genuine concerns about the intrinsic right of every child to have a mother and a father since, as studies show, this is the BEST environment for a child and as such should be promoted because we all want to promote ideals and won't someone please think of the children?

right?

right?

:eyebrow:

Yup I've been wondering too. I'm clearly totally screwed up. I mean what kind of poor student spends hundreds of dollars on CDs, clothes, records, concert tickets etc. for some band, knows way too much about them, and waits out overnight in freezing temperatures to get a good spot in GA? :shifty:

Varitek said:
Some forms as I got older switched to "parent/guardian 1 and 2" but the Common App for colleges had mother/father and that really pissed me off to the point where I refused to submit online and mailed them all so I could cross it out and correct it.

Good for you, and that is such a reminder of how something as ordinary as a form that we take for granted could make you or anyone with gay parents upset.

Thanks for your answer

Varitek said:

Yup I've been wondering too. I'm clearly totally screwed up. I mean what kind of poor student spends hundreds of dollars on CDs, clothes, records, concert tickets etc. for some band, knows way too much about them, and waits out overnight in freezing temperatures to get a good spot in GA? :shifty:

LOL! :hug:

My two cousins grew up with 2 mothers that blended families. My Uncle died in a car accident when my Aunt was divorcing him. :( My family seemed to have a grudge or just didn't make sure that the relations were open with my Aunt (my uncle is my father's brother) and we didn't see my cousins for a lot of years. When the oldest cousin graduated, his father's side of the family was invited and the communication opened up again.

I have always been bothered that my grandparents, father and aunt (Dad's sister) didn't make sure that they were part of my cousin's lives. Honestly, I don't know all of the details - and in fairness to my family - their reaction could have been as strong if they lost their son/brother when he was heavily charged emotionally because she left for another man instead of for a woman. All I know is, my cousins are totally normal and their mothers are too. :up: Thank you for some insight to their thoughts. I'm 16+ years older than my cousins and haven't gotten into an intimate conversation with them to ask the questions you are answering. :hug:

I hope you will not be offended by this question... :reject:

Do you think if you weren't raised by lesbian parents, you would not be gay?

(Did I word that correctly?)

I'm sorry if this was already answered!

Um, I'm pretty straight. Not really sure where you got the idea that I'm gay. The thread's not that long, and I've said in various places that I'm female and have a boyfriend.

Anyway, my sexual orientation is pretty much irrelevant to answering your question, because parents do not make a child gay or straight. If lesbian parents made their daughters gay, then how did lesbians come about in the first place? I do think that if I were gay (and I am thinking of a friend who is bisexual and has lesbian mothers) I would have had a much easier time realizing it, accepting it, and coming out.

Back
Top Bottom