Ask the Daughter of Lesbians - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 PM
No problem. Chose the name Varitek (I assume that's what's confusing you) because he's been my favorite player since about 2000. In hindsight, probably should have picked something U2 related.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Well, I just reread through this thread and I found what you wrote pretty amazing. So as Irving said, you do rock.

Again, I'm very sorry.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

LOL!

My two cousins grew up with 2 mothers that blended families. My Uncle died in a car accident when my Aunt was divorcing him. My family seemed to have a grudge or just didn't make sure that the relations were open with my Aunt (my uncle is my father's brother) and we didn't see my cousins for a lot of years. When the oldest cousin graduated, his father's side of the family was invited and the communication opened up again.

I have always been bothered that my grandparents, father and aunt (Dad's sister) didn't make sure that they were part of my cousin's lives. Honestly, I don't know all of the details - and in fairness to my family - their reaction could have been as strong if they lost their son/brother when he was heavily charged emotionally because she left for another man instead of for a woman. All I know is, my cousins are totally normal and their mothers are too. Thank you for some insight to their thoughts. I'm 16+ years older than my cousins and haven't gotten into an intimate conversation with them to ask the questions you are answering.
No problem, glad to help! Sorry about the family distance - that almost happened to one of my moms and her brother, actually because when his wife was pregnant, even though they'd been really supportive of my mom, they told her they didn't want their kids calling my other mother "aunt." Or something like that. Anyway they eventually got over it to the point where I wasn't aware they'd fought until recently, and now our families are pretty close, especially because we're the closest geographically.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I was waiting for them to show up as well. But I'm sure that faced with an actual person, rather than a hypothesis, stereotype, or sermon, they'll sit this one out.
I am happy that Varitek has love in her life. Love is essential. The Christians I know would never want to remove the relationships in her life.

I think many of us can be guilty of discussing "theories" and "best case scenarios" at the cost of understanding individual stories. I also know that even a group of single friends can make a "family."

That being said - Merry Christmas Varitek to you and your family.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 12-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Do you think that the fact that both your parents were of the oppossite sex made a difference in your sexual orientation?

From a first view, one would think that a male child growing up with gay male parents would learn to be attracted to other males. Is that the case at all?

I would really like to hear from a male who grew up with two male gay parents.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

^ Once again, on the first page and then a few posts up I point out that I'm female and straight and have lesbian mothers. My family consists of 4 females, and I addressed my competency in relationships with males on the first page. Several posters before you someone also asked me the same question about sexual orientation of parents relating to the child, see above for my answer. (which, briefly, is NO.)
Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I am happy that Varitek has love in her life. Love is essential. The Christians I know would never want to remove the relationships in her life.

I think many of us can be guilty of discussing "theories" and "best case scenarios" at the cost of understanding individual stories. I also know that even a group of single friends can make a "family."

That being said - Merry Christmas Varitek to you and your family.
Good to hear from you, and thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure what you mean by "best case scenarios" - I personally think a best case scenario for a family is one with plenty of love and support. Looks like we have similar philosophies.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

did you ever consider your situation as "less than the ideal"? do you think that, despite all the love and support that you received from your parents, children are still always better off with opposite-sexed parents? if so, do you think adoption should be limited to straights only so that children don't miss out on having a mother and a father?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #40
She's the One

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
From a first view, one would think that a male child growing up with gay male parents would learn to be attracted to other males.
You really think sexual orientation is a learned behavior?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
did you ever consider your situation as "less than the ideal"? do you think that, despite all the love and support that you received from your parents, children are still always better off with opposite-sexed parents? if so, do you think adoption should be limited to straights only so that children don't miss out on having a mother and a father?
What, asking the questions the conservatives are shying away from? If I didn't know who you were I might break out the angry tone. Thanks for the meatballs.

My situation was wonderful. I think I'm a very well-rounded (OK outside observers might think there's too much U2 in my life) and stable person, I relate fine to males and females, and children are best off being adopted by a person or people who will provide them with love, caring, education, curiosity, and encouragement. Sexual orientation (and race) does't matter.

(Incidentally one family we know adopted their younger child from China in the early 90s. One mother had to go pick her up alone, attaining sole custody of her, and upon return the other mother did a second parent adoption. She is really bright and one of the spunkiest kids I know, and I mean that in a good way.)
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

You really think sexual orientation is a learned behavior?
I'm not so sure about that which is exactly why I asked. My guess would be that if a child sees his parents doing certain things the child would do that.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

My guess would be that if a child sees his parents doing certain things the child would do that.
Are you serious?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

do you think there's anything you've gained by having same-gendered parents? are there certain attitudes or insights that you possess that the children of opposite-gendered parents might not?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Are you serious?
Yes. I don't see how close-minded you have to be to ignore the fact that parents are role models for their children.