Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The US has around 28,500 troops in S. Korea. The S. Korean military is around 600,000 troops, with almost 3 million reserves. N. Korea's military on the other hand, 1.1 million active troops, nearly 5 million conscripted "fit for service" reserves. The planned "strategy" is that the active troops from both the South and the US would immediately begin retreating if the North attacked, in the hopes they could reach and hold the Korean Peninsula until reinforcements arrive. The hope is that they won't be completely decimated in this retreat, and will be able to hold out here like the last war. It's generally assumed the US ground troops would be almost entirely wiped out, which in turn will call for massive sentiment in the US to send reinforcements.
But we're stretched thin as it is, and what are the chances of anyone willing to enlist if a war does happen?

North Korea knows we're weak and that is fueling their aggression.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Because his father was, quite literally, regarded as a God.

That being said, there are many top generals with the thoughts and ideas you suggested.
I always thought seeing the Dear Leader as a God was just a way for the generals to manipulate the average North Korean. They know he isn't, but what better way to have the people fear and serve their government?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
45:33

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfly View Post
I read somewhere that their current nuclear capability is less than where America's was...in 1946. If they were stupid enough to attempt a nuclear attack S Korea, they know with absolute certainty that America would nuke them off the face off the Earth (quite literally).
What about, y'know, the millions of innocent North Korean citizens?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
I always thought seeing the Dear Leader as a God was just a way for the generals to manipulate the average North Korean. They know he isn't, but what better way to have the people fear and serve their government?
Exactly. None of his generals actually take him seriously. But they have to handle Kim carefully to keep the fear and control of the population. If someone in the military just decides to off him, they would lose a lot of the civilian population's support, I would imagine.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
But we're stretched thin as it is, and what are the chances of anyone willing to enlist if a war does happen?

North Korea knows we're weak and that is fueling their aggression.
That's a misconception, our military is still very strong. If they think were weak, thats a terrible assumption they have made on their part. And trust me, more people will want to enlist if we go to war.

It may seem backwards, but being in a garrison (peace-time) military is pretty miserable. Most grunts, at least in my experience in the Marine Corps, would much rather be fighting than sitting around stateside doing dumb shit like uniform inspections. Myself and several of my friends agreed we would all much rather be in Afghanistan than in Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Before I got out, myself and plenty others were itching for North Korea to pull some shit. Its our job, its what we wanted to do and what we signed up to do.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
But the missile systems that figure in Mr. Kim’s blitz of threats and orders do not yet have the range to approach American shores. There is no evidence his nuclear weapons can be shrunk to fit atop a missile. And a prominent photograph showing Mr. Kim’s military making a Normandy-style beach landing appears to have been manufactured, raising questions about whether his forces could possibly repeat the feat his grandfather pulled off in 1950, ordering a ground attack to open the Korean War.
On top of all that, most countries on the verge of a major military assault do not broadcast their battle plans to the world.
“You would expect such a military order to be issued in secret,” said Kim Min-seok, spokesman of the South Korean Defense Ministry. “We believe that by revealing it to the media and publicizing it to the world, North Korea is playing psychology.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/30/world/asia/in-pyongyang-bluster-fakery-and-real-risks.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Ugh, North Korea is funny. Lost in their own world, they have no sense of reality. Life goes on...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Apparently Kim Jong-un may have been threatening to nuke Austin, along with Washington, Los Angeles, and Honolulu. The hash tag du jour is #whyaustin.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Is the term "don't mess with Texas" still around? May want to let Kim know that.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Yes
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
This is the best thing to come out of this whole shitty situation.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just saw Anderson Cooper interview a North Korean who escaped from a prison camp that he was born and raised in. It was so shocking and horrible to hear about what life was like in that camp: the food and emotional deprivation, the fear and total ignorance of the world outside of the camp. The first dictator, Kim Il Sung, believed it would take three generations of families in order for rebels, who fought against the communists in the Korean War, to be redeemed. There's supposed to be 150,000 people in those camps.

Once a link is up, I'll post it.

Does anyone know why the world does so little to stop North Korea's madness?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post

Does anyone know why the world does so little to stop North Korea's madness?
What is anyone supposed to do? They already sanction the shit out of North Korea
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Like that helped.

I don't know. It's just really appalling to hear about a government being so oppressive and insane towards its citizens.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Hardly an uncommon thing, oppressive governments are as common as bread and butter, they just have different ways of going about it.

I really don't think invading NK is going to make things better for the NK people.