Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #496
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
ok ill try.

yes, it could be a political move to get "tea bag votes". the same way the democrats want "immigration reform" to get the "minority vote."

the truth is when it boils down to it, both parties really dont give a shit about illegal immgrants or what the people think about it. they are only interested in getting votes and making themselves and their big business and banker friends richer. they really dont give a fuck about you or the illegal immigrant next door. as long as you keep PRODUCING.
I understand what you're trying to say, and I won't say you're a 100% wrong, but they really are apples and oranges.

This law doesn't really do much. In fact the Republican defence is that it just mirrors what's already the law of the land. If that's the case than why another law? This is the question no one will answer.

Immigration reform, which might be designed partly to get votes, actually does something. That's the difference. Reagan gave ammnesty, why? Because he got it, he knew there was not reason or means to get rid of all the hard working producers who's only problem was they didn't have the means or time to follow the process.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #497
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This law doesn't really do much. In fact the Republican defence is that it just mirrors what's already the law of the land. If that's the case than why another law? This is the question no one will answer.
i can answer that too.

because they know the feds arent doing a goddamn thing as far as enforcing current immigration law. and i can speak from first-hand experience working in the field.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #498
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
i can answer that too.

because they know the feds arent doing a goddamn thing as far as enforcing current immigration law. and i can speak from first-hand experience working in the field.
But how is this going to change anything?

This law doesn't force them to check status.

They still have to report them to the Feds, correct?

What has this changed?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #499
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But how is this going to change anything?

This law doesn't force them to check status.

They still have to report them to the Feds, correct?

What has this changed?

nothing as of yet. i guess we'll have to wait a while to see what the results of this law are, if it does more harm than good or more good than harm.

i've said before how it COULD work and that would be a great system, but it'll never work that way in a million years. it'll be a clusterfuck, just like everything else.

i guess maybe it was one of those "take matters into our own hands" type of things. (while getting votes from the right of course).
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #500
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for at least being honest about it...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #501
Refugee

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
You can't even take your kid out for ice cream without being detained and waterboarded around here.
Notice on what grounds the Justice Dept filed suit,

and on what grounds they did not file (racial profiling).
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #502
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

YouTube - Gibbs Stumped on Immigration Question

I wouldn't count on "some answer on that" anytime soon.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #503
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Notice on what grounds the Justice Dept filed suit,

and on what grounds they did not file (racial profiling).
Exactly. Amazing isn't it ?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #504
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Interesting article in the NY Times today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/us...licals.html?hp

Quote:
At a time when the prospects for immigration overhaul seem most dim, supporters have unleashed a secret weapon: a group of influential evangelical Christian leaders.

Normally on the opposite side of political issues backed by the Obama White House, these leaders are aligning with the president to support an overhaul that would include some path to legalization for illegal immigrants already here. They are preaching from pulpits, conducting conference calls with pastors and testifying in Washington — as they did last Wednesday.

“I am a Christian and I am a conservative and I am a Republican, in that order,” said Matthew D. Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, a conservative religious law firm. “There is very little I agree with regarding President Barack Obama. On the other hand, I’m not going to let politicized rhetoric or party affiliation trump my values, and if he’s right on this issue, I will support him on this issue.”

“Hispanics are religious, family-oriented, pro-life, entrepreneurial,” said the Rev. Richard D. Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, the Southern Baptist Convention’s public policy arm. “They are hard-wired social conservatives, unless they’re driven away.

“I’ve had some older conservative leaders say: ‘Richard, stop this. You’re going to split the conservative coalition,’ ” Dr. Land continued. “I say it might split the old conservative coalition, but it won’t split the new one. And if the new one is going to be a governing coalition, it’s going to have to have a lot of Hispanics in it. And you don’t get a lot of Hispanics in your coalition by engaging in anti-Hispanic anti-immigration rhetoric.”

The support of evangelical leaders is not yet enough to change the equation. But they could mobilize a potentially large constituency of religious conservatives, an important part of the Republican base better known for lobbying against abortion and same-sex marriage. They already threaten the party’s near unity on immigration.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #505
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Here's something I found hilarious:

Arizona turns off speed cameras - Telegraph

Choice quote:
Quote:
A spokesman for Jan Brewer... said she "was uncomfortable with the intrusive nature of the system"
I swear I thought this was an Onion article at first.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #506
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
a camera is not as smart as the human mind, in spotting law-breakers
Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #507
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Most here don't have one iota of a clue what 1070 is about, and a few have even lied here and said they've read it.

1070 is friendlier than the Fed Law, has provisions against profiling.. and adds as a deterrent to criminals such as coyotes, droop house owners and drug runners.

We were forced to add this because the Feds refused to help us, and guess what-it's working.

<>
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #508
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

<>, I think it's silly for you to come in here and say most have no clue when you couldn't even answer the direct questions asked of you. The only person that even attempted was BigJohn, and he was at least honest about it.

What's working?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #509
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Most here don't have one iota of a clue what 1070 is about, and a few have even lied here and said they've read it.
So that's why you haven't been around FYM that much lately. How long is the course-work for Introductory Mind Reading?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #510
Refugee

something else to add:

the issue of immigration has always been a FEDERAL issue. individual states do not deal with the issue. furthermore it is a FEDERAL, not state, crime to be an illegal alien under the Immigration and Nationality Act and Title 8 of the United States Code. States never enforced immigration law. But now we have Arizona trying to make immigration law fall under STATE law so it can be enforced at the STATE level. I guess Arizona feels the feds are doing a piss poor job on enforcing it's own law (which they would be right), so maybe they think they could do a better job themselves. it's really not a bad idea to have that duel level of enforcement, if it's done correctly, as ive stated before.

i might be stating the obvious, but i wanted to clear up the jurisdiction issue for those not aware who does what.