Are you there God? It's me, Margaret.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone follow intelligent design?

Also, how do you guys and gals feel about creationism being taught in schools?

Best,
Jason

I think it should be. Teach both. Spend more time on evolution, since it would be taught in science class and evolution is more science-y, but spend a little time (a few hours, days, whatever) going over creationism, and let the kids make up their minds and research what they want to research.

I know. I have such an extreme, far-right, anti-science point of view. :wink:

Best,
Jason

Like I said on the last page, I'm not the typical white-bread evangelical to ask when it comes to these things, but I digress. I personally believe that God created science and all of its processes, including possibly, evolution. When we discover scientific evidence from millions of years ago, we can't shove it away like so many Christians want to. The earth is not 6,000 years ago, and I don't believe it was created in 6 literal days. We know through science that the earth took millions of years to fully form as we know it, and I don't see why anyone who says he or she believes in the God who created everything and everyone, like I do, would have any trouble accepting that. If God exists outside of time, which The Bible says He does, than 6 days could be 6 million years. We forget that Genesis was written thousands of years ago. When we had no means of learning about the earth and its processes and history, how else could we possibly explain it other than a story such as God literally using His hands to put everything together in 6, 24 hour days. I don't believe God or the writer(s) of the Creation story ever intended us to stop digging there. As new information about the earth is found, those of us who are Christians should accept it as more evidence of God's power to be able to create these scientific and natural processes that allow the earth to function as it does. As for Creationism, I don't believe it should EVER be taught in a science class, as most Creationists want. It's not a scientific theory, and students who grow up under it in school will be done a great disservice in their study of actual science. Now, if there's a class offered on Religion or Christianity, I see nothing wrong with telling the story in that instance, since that's what it truly is.

Are you there, Beav? It's me Brittany.

I am, but make it quick. I'm real busy.

Best,
Jason

Creationism should be taught in either religion classes or classes dealing with myth. It has no place in a science or history classroom. Intelligent design - same - and I think it might be "on to" something. But we should be teaching facts - at the very least plausible yet testable theories, not belief systems promoted to sway elections.

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

Save Ferris! :rockon:

I believe in myself.

Oh and of course -

janet_jackson-728946.jpg

Ms Jackson.

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God. i don't like the idea of religion. however i try not to be dogmatic and militant about my beliefs. people should be free to believe in what they want to believe.

I think it should be. Teach both. Spend more time on evolution, since it would be taught in science class and evolution is more science-y

What part of ID is "science-y" exactly?

Feel free to teach ID. In philosophy or religion class, where it belongs.

You can't have the same teacher teach both. One scientifically disproves the other. One says that God created the Earth several thousand years ago. One, in part, uses geological studies - the study of rock, the core of the earth - to prove conclusively that the Earth is 4.6 billion years old. One contradicts the other. You can't teach the scientific viewpoint, which has proof, and then say, 'and here's this other viewpoint that's been disproven by science, but you can believe it anyway if you want to'. That can't work, imo.

In high school we were taught a bunch of different theories of creation. I wouldn't really call it "taught", more like "presented". ID was one of them, but the teacher was not teaching it as scientific proof, just throwing them all out there. Just like in religion classes we studied the origins of many religions, regardless of whether any of them are "true".

I went to a religious high school (Catholic) and we were most certainly never taught ID in a science class.

Creationist myths were taught in religion class.

I went to a religious high school (Catholic) and we were most certainly never taught ID in a science class.

Creationist myths were taught in religion class.

same here. I actually went to a catholic seminary and we were taught evolution in our science classes. Genesis was a book of the bible, but we were never expected to take it literally.

It's really surreal when the Catholic church seems modern and open to reality.

i hope there's a God, but i doubt it, though i could be wrong.

still, after all the revelation and stuff, doesn't everlasting life or whatever sound like it might get old after a while?

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

Save Ferris! :rockon:
With your bad knee, you shouldn't be throwing anybody.

Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects?

You can't have the same teacher teach both. One scientifically disproves the other. One says that God created the Earth several thousand years ago. One, in part, uses geological studies - the study of rock, the core of the earth - to prove conclusively that the Earth is 4.6 billion years old. One contradicts the other. You can't teach the scientific viewpoint, which has proof, and then say, 'and here's this other viewpoint that's been disproven by science, but you can believe it anyway if you want to'. That can't work, imo.

Nonsense. One does not neccesarily "disprove the other" - if your talking a purely fundamentalist view (the earth is only 6000 years old) then yes, you're right...but that isn't intelligent design is it? I thought intelligent design is simply allowing for the possibility of a creator. Why are so many people in the secular world afraid of that??? Have an open mind people. Evolution and Creation can co-exist despite what certain "christians" will tell you.

Nonsense. One does not neccesarily "disprove the other" - if your talking a purely fundamentalist view (the earth is only 6000 years old) then yes, you're right...but that isn't intelligent design is it? I thought intelligent design is simply allowing for the possibility of a creator. Why are so many people in the secular world afraid of that??? Have an open mind people. Evolution and Creation can co-exist despite what certain "christians" will tell you.

it's not, though, Harry. ID is an explicitly Christianist concept designed to have a patina of pseudo-scientific "credibility" that's a Trojan Horse for a fundamentalist agenda.

Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

evolution and creationism cannot coexist on a creationist's terms.

Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects?

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid, who's going out with this girl who saw Ferris pass out at the 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Back
Top Bottom