Are athletes really worth it? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Are athletes really worth it?

I am so sick of hearing these individuals making this much;

I guess it A-Rod was a milestone a few years back, but the trend will continue, no doubt.

More examples this coming up Baseball season;

Free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett has reached preliminary agreement on a five-year, $82.5 million contract with the New York Yankees.

K-Rod; $37 million, three-year contract with the Mets.

CC Sabathia at the top of a revamped starting rotation in New York. The Yankees agreed to terms on a seven-year, $161 million.

And to make things worse, most of these individuals do not pay attention to fans.
Small example; last night while watching the Rockets/Clippers game, I see a young kid (probably 10 years old) reaching out to a Clipper player (Kaman) as he walked out of the bench towards the locker room after the game was over, the kid just wanted a "high five"...what does Kaman do? He looks at him and doesn't even make an effort to say hi or return the gesture.

Why are we paying these ridiculous salaries to people that do not deserve it?
Another small example;

Lakers/Celtics tickets, xmas day courtside; $10,271 each. For a 2 1/2 hour game?

How can we stop this?
Stop attending these events?
Who do we blame? The owners? Us for paying to see these events?
I don't know.

*rant over*

I would really appreciate your views.
__________________

__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,712
Local Time: 03:08 AM
I think it's obscene.

However, I'm a bit of a hypocrite, because look at how much entertainers make. The big names get millions per movie, and I eat up pop culture and entertainment with a giant spoon.

Maybe I'm hypocritcal about it because I find those who entertain more personally valuable than sports stars.

I sure don't have the answers.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Good point Cori, I feel the same way with myself at times with the same example.
I think what brings me to this point however, is the lack of return by part of most of these individuals.
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Maybe I'm hypocritcal about it because I find those who entertain more personally valuable than sports stars.
Athletes are just a different form of entertainer. Think about how many people watch football every Sunday - it's their form of entertainment.

Personally I find athletes and sports in general far more valuable than other entertainers. Look at the stadium parking lots every weekend and all the people tailgating enjoying themselves with family and friends. Growing up my Dad and I would watch all sorts of games together and just shoot the shit during the games. That would never happen with movies.

As for the money, it's not worth getting upset over. If you don't go to the games or buy the merchandise than you don't contribute anything to their paychecks. I won't fault anyone for making as much money as they can based on their talents. We all want to make as much money as we can - it's just on a different scale. Hell, if we knew what other coworkers made we'd probably be griping about how much money they make.
__________________
randhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,712
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randhail View Post
Athletes are just a different form of entertainer. Think about how many people watch football every Sunday - it's their form of entertainment.
Totally! That's why I knew that my thoughts on it were hypocritical. I personally find entertainers more "entertaining," but obviously there are folks on the opposite side of the fence.

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,797
Local Time: 03:08 AM
The Dallas Cowboys = best reality show on television.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:08 AM
They would not get paid this much if fans did not consume the product in myriad ways. We watch, we attend, we buy the jerseys, etc. Carlos, if your point is just that some players do not play as well as their contract indicates they should, well, that's not unique to sports. At your very own job, I assume you have under and overpaid employees, so that point does not register with me. If the point simply is that athlete contracts are obscene, why, yes they are. But this is nothing new.

As Randhail says, these salaries need not impact you. If you do not follow/attend/watch sports, then outside of publicly funded stadiums, it likely will not affect your life one way or the other.

Lastly, I don't know why it needs to be "stopped". This seems like an overreaction.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 07:08 AM
I think one of the reasons people tend to think athletes -- indeed any kind of entertainers -- don't deserve what they make is that we (the public) tend to see them as not only great athletes (musicians, singers, actors, etc.), but also as great people, so when they act like jerks we see it as especially bad. And some actually are great at their profession and at being a wonderful person. But many aren't -- and never should have been thought of as a great person just because they are a great athlete, actor, musician, etc. in the first place. Sure, we'd like them to be everything to everyone (and you know we're thinking "especially for how much they're making!"), but it's not really fair to expect it. I actually think that people at the top of the entertainment heap (including athletes) are more apt to be self centered than your average person because they had to be more focused on themselves to be able to get to that point in the first place.

I think we would be in for a lot less disappointment and irritation if we didn't equate great person with great athlete (musician, singer, actor, etc.).
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Another small example;

Lakers/Celtics tickets, xmas day courtside; $10,271 each. For a 2 1/2 hour game?

How can we stop this?
Stop attending these events?
Who do we blame? The owners? Us for paying to see these events?
I don't know.

*rant over*

I would really appreciate your views.

How many court side seats are there ?


Is this game going to be on T V for free?

Most / many games are on T V for free,
subsidised by idiots that pay $10,000 for a ticket that could feed a family for a year.

How do we quantify the value of any performer?

Were the rock stars worthy of their incomes?

Their earnings have dropped a bit, many would say they are still over compensated.

Anyways, it is all market driven. There will only be a correction when the public stops throwing money at them.

There seems to be a lot of corrections going on in different parts of our economy, housing, autos, retail stores, newspapers,
T V networks, all driven by the public, consumers voting by how and where they choose to spend their dollars.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 06:08 AM
I always yell at Phil when he complains about pro athletes. I say, what do you expect? They are doing it for money, not sport. Then I throw in a low blow about how in gymnastics you don't make any money and in fact spend about $100,000 a year on training. Most elite gymnasts peak before 21 and you have a better chance of being struck by lightening twice than making an Olympic team (much less winning, which is the only way you will make any money) so they cannot accept even a $2500 win at the American Cup or they lose eligibility for college. For most elite gymnasts, a college scholarship is the only money they will ever make.

I agree that pro athletes are really just like entertainers. If you don't like them or what they do, then stop watching the games, buying the tickets and the merchandise. The only pro sport I even *sometimes* watch is baseball and I boycotted a season - didn't watch a second of play - b/c that one guy was beating on his wife.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Stop attending these events? Yes
Who do we blame? Us for paying to see these events? Yes
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I always yell at Phil when he complains about pro athletes. I say, what do you expect? They are doing it for money, not sport. Then I throw in a low blow about how in gymnastics you don't make any money and in fact spend about $100,000 a year on training. Most elite gymnasts peak before 21 and you have a better chance of being struck by lightening twice than making an Olympic team (much less winning, which is the only way you will make any money) so they cannot accept even a $2500 win at the American Cup or they lose eligibility for college. For most elite gymnasts, a college scholarship is the only money they will ever make.

I agree that pro athletes are really just like entertainers. If you don't like them or what they do, then stop watching the games, buying the tickets and the merchandise. The only pro sport I even *sometimes* watch is baseball and I boycotted a season - didn't watch a second of play - b/c that one guy was beating on his wife.
To say that all pro athletes just do it for the $$$ is false, Lies. Very false, in fact.

I agree with everything else you say, though it's echoing some already posted thoughts.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
To say that all pro athletes just do it for the $$$ is false, Lies. Very false, in fact.

I agree with everything else you say, though it's echoing some already posted thoughts.
Well hell if I was making tens of millions I'd be doing it just for the money! And I didn't say "all, just "they", as ing, the ones that are total idiots that treat everyone else like dirt. Yes, I really believe ALL of THEM are doing it for the money. How many would actually play if it COST them money....I don't know much about pro sports, you know way more. How many do you think would work out 8 hours a day, 6 days a week all year long if it cost them $100,000?
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 12:08 PM
To be fair, they're really working their asses off for that money. Compared with Actors and what not, who really don't at all in comparison.
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Well hell if I was making tens of millions I'd be doing it just for the money! And I didn't say "all, just "they", as ing, the ones that are total idiots that treat everyone else like dirt. Yes, I really believe ALL of THEM are doing it for the money. How many would actually play if it COST them money....I don't know much about pro sports, you know way more. How many do you think would work out 8 hours a day, 6 days a week all year long if it cost them $100,000?
What do you mean if it cost them money? Would ANY of us work if we had to pay to work, no matter how much we love what we do?

I agree, some play for the money, but I also think you can easily spot those athletes that clearly love competing and play for the love of the game.
__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com