Anti-Tax Tea Parties Held Across U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And that CNN lady was a joke. She should be fired. People who are calling these events nothing but anti-government, extreme-right radical demonstrations clearly must feel threatened by them. At the very least, they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.
I can definitely agree with that. But I still say it's worthless to go to these protests. I know because I attended (read: did drive-by honking) at an anti-war protest in 2006 while Bush was giving a commencement speech just down the street. Nothing changed. People got angrier and angrier and while it was nice to be around other people who shared my views, it didn't make me feel any better. If anything, it made me feel worse because if we as a collective are that powerless, then how much more powerless am I by myself?
I don't put too much stock in protests for that reason. So fine, you're angry and pumped. What are you going to do about it?

Nothing. Just suffer through it for another four years and you'll have your chance to vote.

The only place where you have the chance of making a difference is in local politics, and there are barely ever protests for those... at least where I live :shrug:

Just be careful b/c it's a tax credit, meaning they are giving you now the money you'd get back next year, if you get money back. I like getting money back and I always like to err on the side of caution so I adjusted our exemptions so we aren't getting this "break".

Thanks, I'll double check. I don't think this is the case for me but might be for my sister. She makes about the same amount that I do, but usually gets double the amount I get back because she has her exemptions set differently.

I went to one today, and it was great. I'd say 600-700 people here in Bloomington, IL. It's really gotten me pretty fired up and angry. And anyone who wants to say that these were partisan events likely did not go to one. There was just as much anger directed at Bush as there was Obama over the spending. It was great to see hundreds of people like me and millions more across the country who, along with our yet-to-be-conceived children are being enslaved and placed trillions of dollars in debt.

What specific elements of Bush's spending do you disagree with?

Thanks, I'll double check. I don't think this is the case for me but might be for my sister. She makes about the same amount that I do, but usually gets double the amount I get back because she has her exemptions set differently.

What happened to us was that I was getting paid $33 more a month because I was getting taxed $33 less (Federal). Same with Phil except $15 (he makes a lot less than I do). Luckily b/c I get paid the exact same amount every time it was easy to figure out where the "extra" money came from. I didn't do anything about it until someone told me to check with Payroll and they said it was a good thing I was changing my exemptions (I had 1 and went to 0, Phil already had 0 so he is having $15 more withheld automatically). They said the people who might get screwed are those that are married and file jointly, which is us.

And what exactly were you protesting? I'm asking seriously. I mean why didn't people like you protest last year?

I think a majority of it is spending. The people I saw and heard from were certainly more pissed at the spending than the taxes.

As for why there wasn't anything like this last year- I'm not sure. If there had been local events like this in the fall, protesting Bush's spending and the bailouts and all, I would have probably shown up. I think these suddenly sprouted up because people are seeing that it's both parties who were/are irresponsible and spending money we don't have.

I went to one today, and it was great. I'd say 600-700 people here in Bloomington, IL. It's really gotten me pretty fired up and angry. And anyone who wants to say that these were partisan events likely did not go to one. There was just as much anger directed at Bush as there was Obama over the spending. It was great to see hundreds of people like me and millions more across the country who, along with our yet-to-be-conceived children are being enslaved and placed trillions of dollars in debt.

By the way, I'm interested in watching Keith Olbermann tonight. Last night he made a big deal about how these things were ultra-partisan and how nobody would show up and how the camera would show nothing but empty seats and how this would all blow up in our faces. Yet even MSNBC couldn't ignore covering the tea parties today, they were such a success. That won't make Keith happy...

And that CNN lady was a joke. She should be fired. People who are calling these events nothing but anti-government, extreme-right radical demonstrations clearly must feel threatened by them. At the very least, they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Hey rock on for going to one of the parties!:applaud: I was gonna go to one but couldn't.

I agree with everything you said by the way :)

We most stop the spending!

What specific elements of Bush's spending do you disagree with?

To be honest, I wouldn't know enough to hold a conversation. Certainly the bailouts, though.

I hear he doubled the deficit, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think all of that can be attributed to the wars and defense. :shrug:

As for why there wasn't anything like this last year- I'm not sure. If there had been local events like this in the fall, protesting Bush's spending and the bailouts and all, I would have probably shown up.

And what about the spending defecit for nation building?

What should the federal government spend money on?

I think these suddenly sprouted up because people are seeing that it's both parties who were/are irresponsible and spending money we don't have.
Yeah, I'm sure the fact that it's Obama had nothing to do with it...

To be honest, I wouldn't know enough to hold a conversation.
This is what I find so infuriating. Thousands gather and they know so little specifics, trust me if this was McCain you wouldn't be out there.

Certainly the bailouts, though.

So where would we be if we allowed everyone to fail at once?

It's been asked a hundred times, and answered exactly 0 times.

Nice touch with the revolutionary era costumes and appeals to liberty and all that, but surely the original revolt was 'no taxation without representation'. Note that second part, it is important.

If George III and the British elite of the 1750-70s had been smarter, they could have kept their American frontier, complete with seats in Westminster.

What happened to us was that I was getting paid $33 more a month because I was getting taxed $33 less (Federal). Same with Phil except $15 (he makes a lot less than I do). Luckily b/c I get paid the exact same amount every time it was easy to figure out where the "extra" money came from. I didn't do anything about it until someone told me to check with Payroll and they said it was a good thing I was changing my exemptions (I had 1 and went to 0, Phil already had 0 so he is having $15 more withheld automatically). They said the people who might get screwed are those that are married and file jointly, which is us.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that info. I'm single and my withholdings are set at 0, and my last two checks have had an extra $20.

This is what I find so infuriating. Thousands gather and they know so little specifics, trust me if this was McCain you wouldn't be out there.

I am not sure that is a fair accusation. There were plenty of people against Bush 1's spending and running up of the deficit. These people today remind me (in some ways ) of the Perot supporters.

Not ALL would fail, many would. Many have. Some have been saved, others thrown under.

Many countries have had economic collapses in the last 20- 30 years.

All through the 80s and 90s it seemed all I heard about was the the money supply. M1 and M2. I can't remember when I have heard anyone mention anything about our rapidly growing money supply.

So if we had the giant collapse?? Would it be better if we all started from ground zero again.

Two or three years from now,
if we see significant inflation and problems paying the National debt.
These people will be able to say they warned us.

I drove bye a gathering after work. Just down the street from my apt.
While I was sitting at the light I wrote on a notepad, "where were you before Bush's trillion $ war?"
When I came back from the grocery store, I had written "where were you last year?. They booed me that time. I applauded. :D

also, I got paid today, there was $18.00 difference in federal income tax withheld and $1 more in state taken out. wtf, why a dollar?

I am not sure that is a fair accusation. There were plenty of people against Bush 1's spending and running up of the deficit. These people today remind me (in some ways ) of the Perot supporters.

Not ALL would fail, many would. Many have. Some have been saved, others thrown under.

All through the 80s and 90s it seemed all I heard about was the the money supply. M1 and M2. I can't remember when I have heard anyone mention anything about our rapidly growing money supply.

So if we had the giant collapse?? Would it be better if we all started from ground zero again.

These people will be able to say the warned us.

US will not default because it's the only country with currency of reserve status and the means and werewithal to back it up, if necessary with hard power. US could in theory just close of its borders to imports and start a trade war and the devil take the hindmost. No other country can do this.

From a US point of view, iron fist in velvet glove will probably be enough. Notice how diplomatic US and Chinese senior politicos are being to each other recently.

I am thinking about going long dollar, short Swiss franc. :hmm:

But were they having "tea parties"?

These people will be able to say the warned us.

Which would be worse the time starting over from ground zero or the time it takes to pay off this debt? We can't really know.

But I think the point I'm trying to get at is that there will be many that say "just let the market heal itself", but almost none would be willing to actually see how that happens.

Nice touch with the revolutionary era costumes and appeals to liberty and all that, but surely the original revolt was 'no taxation without representation'. Note that second part, it is important.

just came in to say much the same thing. the original tea party was a protest against taxes levelled against them by those who weren't elected....not so much the case this time around.

While I was sitting at the light I wrote on a notepad, "where were you before Bush's trillion $ war?"
When I came back from the grocery store, I had written "where were you last year?. They booed me that time. I applauded. :D

also, I got paid today, there was $18.00 difference in federal income tax withheld and $1 more in state taken out. wtf, why a dollar?

Please do not speak truths in here, the truth will only hurt us...

Today is a time to reflect upon the evil that is Obama and veil it in patriotism...

:applaud:

Good one!

But I think the point I'm trying to get at is that there will be many that say "just let the market heal itself", but almost none would be willing to actually see how that happens.

I think this a fair point. Ron Paul and the 'Austrian school' economists that influence his ideas advocate a hard line market approach, but they have the luxury that their prescription will probably never be tried - as with the Marxists, I'd argue.

But were they having "tea parties"?

Which would be worse the time starting over from ground zero or the time it takes to pay off this debt? We can't really know.

I think that's something that not enough people seem to consider - what's the human cost of letting everything collapse and rebuilding? I suspect it would be pretty horrifying, and that very few would actually be prepared to deal with the fall out.

The Obama administration are truly between a rock and a hard place with no good options, but I trust that they're picking the best of the worst, and doing the best that they can.

I think that's something that not enough people seem to consider - what's the human cost of letting everything collapse and rebuilding?

Most of the residents of the Western (first) world have pretty much no idea about what life is like for the rest of this world's inhabitants or what the ramifications of a completely failed economic state are. There are plenty of lessons in history, but when you have not experienced such a way of life yourself, it is hard to grasp.

Economic futility is the breeding ground for many evils.

Under the new plan, my mother and my brother actually have less taxes taken out of their paychecks, increasing the amount they take home. I don't get paid until tomorrow, but I think I'll have less taken out of mine too.

I find it hard to feel sorry for people making $255,000 a year.

Like most families in America, we also, are now paying less taxes. Lower taxes are helping the working/middle class.

Maybe the food taxes, etc are just where I am I just happened to notice it recently well shopping, etc. It use to be a 6% tax on our shopping now it's 8%-10%

With the gas maybe I was referring to it going up, it's down now, but it will up again. Maybe I got a little confused lol

I go to a community college right now I'm rely on grants and federal aid to be able to go to school without it I wouldn't be going. This all just happened yesterday, so I'm still learning more on it.

You always need to differenciate between federal and state taxing/spending, especially when you are going to protest one entity. Sales taxes in the US are almost always state issues. The funding of your university maybe as well. So it wouldn't make sense to take it to the streets and protest Bush's or Obama's policies when your arguments are states' issues. I agree it's sometimes complicated, especially when it is mixed issues, but a protest is more effective if aimed at the right person/party.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm OK paying the same, or even more taxes, so long as they go towards thing that actually help this country and our people (read: not for funding a gazillion dollar "war"). FWIW we live on one salary, pay more a month for student loan payments than a lot of people are paying on mortgages, and drive a lemon that needs more $$$ in repairs than what it's worth, but I like things like public education, health care, roads, parks, libraries, utilities....

bailing out after massive debt and reckless spending=tea party

getting into massive debt for a war started under false pretenses and tax cuts for the rich=kegger

Back
Top Bottom