Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
And that CNN lady was a joke. She should be fired. People who are calling these events nothing but anti-government, extreme-right radical demonstrations clearly must feel threatened by them. At the very least, they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.
I can definitely agree with that. But I still say it's worthless to go to these protests. I know because I attended (read: did drive-by honking) at an anti-war protest in 2006 while Bush was giving a commencement speech just down the street. Nothing changed. People got angrier and angrier and while it was nice to be around other people who shared my views, it didn't make me feel any better. If anything, it made me feel worse because if we as a collective are that powerless, then how much more powerless am I by myself?
I don't put too much stock in protests for that reason. So fine, you're angry and pumped. What are you going to do about it?

Nothing. Just suffer through it for another four years and you'll have your chance to vote.

The only place where you have the chance of making a difference is in local politics, and there are barely ever protests for those... at least where I live

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:58 PM
What have these people got against tea??

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Just be careful b/c it's a tax credit, meaning they are giving you now the money you'd get back next year, if you get money back. I like getting money back and I always like to err on the side of caution so I adjusted our exemptions so we aren't getting this "break".
Thanks, I'll double check. I don't think this is the case for me but might be for my sister. She makes about the same amount that I do, but usually gets double the amount I get back because she has her exemptions set differently.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
What have these people got against tea??
It comes from the earth. Ew.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
I went to one today, and it was great. I'd say 600-700 people here in Bloomington, IL. It's really gotten me pretty fired up and angry. And anyone who wants to say that these were partisan events likely did not go to one. There was just as much anger directed at Bush as there was Obama over the spending. It was great to see hundreds of people like me and millions more across the country who, along with our yet-to-be-conceived children are being enslaved and placed trillions of dollars in debt.
What specific elements of Bush's spending do you disagree with?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyahern View Post
Thanks, I'll double check. I don't think this is the case for me but might be for my sister. She makes about the same amount that I do, but usually gets double the amount I get back because she has her exemptions set differently.
What happened to us was that I was getting paid $33 more a month because I was getting taxed $33 less (Federal). Same with Phil except $15 (he makes a lot less than I do). Luckily b/c I get paid the exact same amount every time it was easy to figure out where the "extra" money came from. I didn't do anything about it until someone told me to check with Payroll and they said it was a good thing I was changing my exemptions (I had 1 and went to 0, Phil already had 0 so he is having $15 more withheld automatically). They said the people who might get screwed are those that are married and file jointly, which is us.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

And what exactly were you protesting? I'm asking seriously. I mean why didn't people like you protest last year?
I think a majority of it is spending. The people I saw and heard from were certainly more pissed at the spending than the taxes.

As for why there wasn't anything like this last year- I'm not sure. If there had been local events like this in the fall, protesting Bush's spending and the bailouts and all, I would have probably shown up. I think these suddenly sprouted up because people are seeing that it's both parties who were/are irresponsible and spending money we don't have.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: Where the streets have no name, In God's Country, wherever he takes me, currently Seattle, WA
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
I went to one today, and it was great. I'd say 600-700 people here in Bloomington, IL. It's really gotten me pretty fired up and angry. And anyone who wants to say that these were partisan events likely did not go to one. There was just as much anger directed at Bush as there was Obama over the spending. It was great to see hundreds of people like me and millions more across the country who, along with our yet-to-be-conceived children are being enslaved and placed trillions of dollars in debt.

By the way, I'm interested in watching Keith Olbermann tonight. Last night he made a big deal about how these things were ultra-partisan and how nobody would show up and how the camera would show nothing but empty seats and how this would all blow up in our faces. Yet even MSNBC couldn't ignore covering the tea parties today, they were such a success. That won't make Keith happy...

And that CNN lady was a joke. She should be fired. People who are calling these events nothing but anti-government, extreme-right radical demonstrations clearly must feel threatened by them. At the very least, they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.
Hey rock on for going to one of the parties! I was gonna go to one but couldn't.

I agree with everything you said by the way

We most stop the spending!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
What specific elements of Bush's spending do you disagree with?
To be honest, I wouldn't know enough to hold a conversation. Certainly the bailouts, though.

I hear he doubled the deficit, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think all of that can be attributed to the wars and defense.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
As for why there wasn't anything like this last year- I'm not sure. If there had been local events like this in the fall, protesting Bush's spending and the bailouts and all, I would have probably shown up.
And what about the spending defecit for nation building?

What should the federal government spend money on?

Quote:
I think these suddenly sprouted up because people are seeing that it's both parties who were/are irresponsible and spending money we don't have.
Yeah, I'm sure the fact that it's Obama had nothing to do with it...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't know enough to hold a conversation.
This is what I find so infuriating. Thousands gather and they know so little specifics, trust me if this was McCain you wouldn't be out there.

Quote:
Certainly the bailouts, though.
So where would we be if we allowed everyone to fail at once?

It's been asked a hundred times, and answered exactly 0 times.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Nice touch with the revolutionary era costumes and appeals to liberty and all that, but surely the original revolt was 'no taxation without representation'. Note that second part, it is important.

If George III and the British elite of the 1750-70s had been smarter, they could have kept their American frontier, complete with seats in Westminster.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
What happened to us was that I was getting paid $33 more a month because I was getting taxed $33 less (Federal). Same with Phil except $15 (he makes a lot less than I do). Luckily b/c I get paid the exact same amount every time it was easy to figure out where the "extra" money came from. I didn't do anything about it until someone told me to check with Payroll and they said it was a good thing I was changing my exemptions (I had 1 and went to 0, Phil already had 0 so he is having $15 more withheld automatically). They said the people who might get screwed are those that are married and file jointly, which is us.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that info. I'm single and my withholdings are set at 0, and my last two checks have had an extra $20.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
This is what I find so infuriating. Thousands gather and they know so little specifics, trust me if this was McCain you wouldn't be out there.

I am not sure that is a fair accusation. There were plenty of people against Bush 1's spending and running up of the deficit. These people today remind me (in some ways ) of the Perot supporters.

Quote:

Not ALL would fail, many would. Many have. Some have been saved, others thrown under.

Many countries have had economic collapses in the last 20- 30 years.

All through the 80s and 90s it seemed all I heard about was the the money supply. M1 and M2. I can't remember when I have heard anyone mention anything about our rapidly growing money supply.

So if we had the giant collapse?? Would it be better if we all started from ground zero again.

Two or three years from now,
if we see significant inflation and problems paying the National debt.
These people will be able to say they warned us.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I drove bye a gathering after work. Just down the street from my apt.
While I was sitting at the light I wrote on a notepad, "where were you before Bush's trillion $ war?"
When I came back from the grocery store, I had written "where were you last year?. They booed me that time. I applauded.

also, I got paid today, there was $18.00 difference in federal income tax withheld and $1 more in state taken out. wtf, why a dollar?