Another US Patriot passes away..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most HR Directors see a red flag when applicants are more curious about what bennies are offered them.

HR Directors would rather know what a hopeful candidate offers to bring to the table.

Book of Diamond 3:16.

<>

Most HR Directors see a red flag when applicants are more curious about what bennies are offered them.

HR Directors would rather know what a hopeful candidate offers to bring to the table.

Book of Diamond 3:16.

<>

The Military isn't run by "HR Directors", the recruiters push the bennies hard, potential recruits barely need to ask. My son's in high school and has gotten a hard sell a few times.

And, believe it or not, many do join up just for the bennies they wouldn't be able to otherwise get in civvy life.

Regardless, any soldier, gay or straight, who joins up and gets killed in action is more of a patriot than the guy posted about at the start of this thread.

And all hopeful candidates bring all they can to the table when they know that they will be granted full equality

That goes for women and minorities and gay people in the military

Full equality in the US military still does not exist, just as it doesn't everywhere else. But it should be one of the most important goals-after all, we are supposed to "honoring their service"-aren't we?

After all, one nation under a God who created all equal

At least this article (the original one that started this thread) may enlighten some people who mistakenly think that the "under god" stuff was originally meant to be in the pledge. I'd wager that most people don't know that it was added much later for political purposes.

It's the same way with the money, where "in god we trust" was added sometime around 1957 IIRC. Most people thing it's always been on the money, and it hasn't.

Show of hands, who supports DADT?

obama-raises-hand.jpg

at this point in time

My own view is that gay marriage is likely inevitable, and won't be nearly the disaster many of my fellow conservatives fear it will be.
Jonah Goldberg

Jonah Goldberg is a very conservative columnist and he can see the writing on the wall.

So all should hurry, the bigot bus is leaving the station,
there is one last chance to get a window seat for the historic photo-op.

It's the same way with the money, where "in god we trust" was added sometime around 1957 IIRC. Most people thing it's always been on the money, and it hasn't.

In God We Trust has been on the penny since 1909 and dime since 1916 and all U.S. coins since 1938. Its use goes back further to the post-Civil War era and older coins no longer in circulation.

And in all cases God is capitalized.

And it's on my Indiana license plate as well.
images

obama-raises-hand.jpg

at this point in time

Didn't he just come out and say he wants it removed but he wants to do it from within the military and not legislatively? If anyone knows anything about the military, honestly this is the only way it's really going to happen.

Last time I checked no one in America is forced to join the military.

The issue needs to get handled one way or another.

One thing that concerns me is a person that serves his country with benifits in mind foremost, that said -the USA military is voluntary.

If you don't like the bennies offered, fight it legally to change it first and once it's changed then join.

Don't join and then demand they change their policies for you.

The military isn't about "you".

I believe some how, some way - a same sex spouse should be able to recieve bennies.

I wish same sex military cpls luck in finding or crafting legislation to make that happen.

<>

Good, for you, but don't act like they are equal now.

And if you consider yourself anywhere near a patriot you should demand that these patriots are considered equal, and don't give us these backhanded insults of "it's not about you."

thehill.com

December 2, 2008
DeMint: Capitol Visitor Center Fails to Honor Faith

@ 2:31 pm by Hill Staff

Delete Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) from the list of admirers of the new Capitol Visitor Center.

DeMint issued a statement Tuesday criticizing the new facility for "omitting the history of faith." DeMint noted that the new tourist spot ignored his request to include the phrase "In God We Trust" and the Pledge of Allegiance.

DeMint said the center, which opened Tuesday, also has displays that are "left-leaning and in some cases distort our true history."

Here's DeMint's full statement:

“The Capitol Visitor Center is designed to tell the history and purpose of our nation's Capitol, but it fails to appropriately honor our religious heritage that has been critical to America’s success. While the Architect of the Capitol has pledged to include some references to faith, more needs to be done. You cannot accurately tell the history of America or its Capitol by ignoring the religious heritage of our Founders and the generations since who relied on their faith for strength and guidance. The millions of visitors that will visit the CVC each year should get a true portrayal of the motivations and inspirations of those who have served in Congress since its establishment.

“The current CVC displays are left-leaning and in some cases distort our true history. Exhibits portray the federal government as the fulfillment of human ambition and the answer to all of society’s problems. This is a clear departure from acknowledging that Americans’ rights ‘are endowed by their Creator’ and stem from ‘a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence.’ Instead, the CVC’s most prominent display proclaims faith not in God, but in government. Visitors will enter reading a large engraving that states, ‘We have built no temple but the Capitol. We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.’ This is an intentional misrepresentation of our nation’s real history, and an offensive refusal to honor America's God-given blessings. As George Washington stated clearly in his first inaugural address:

‘…t would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official Act, my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the Universe, who presides in the Councils of Nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that his benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the People of the United States, a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes: and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success, the functions allotted to his charge.’

“The fundamental principles of the freedom we enjoy in this country stem from our Founding Fathers’ beliefs in a higher power, beliefs put forth in the Declaration of Independence and manifest throughout our Constitution,” said Senator DeMint. “If we cease to acknowledge this fact, we may cease to enjoy some of the freedoms we take for granted. We must not censor historical references to God for the sake of political correctness. And we must truthfully represent the limited form of government the Constitution lays out so that our ‘government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.’ So help us God.”

clever? not really.

i don't quite see how pointing out points of disagreement that many have with Obama or that he makes and will continue to make convenient political calculations when it serves his purposes (especially when not wanting to make the mistakes that Clinton did in '93-94) is somehow incendiary and makes most of FYM want to sob and protect their precious Obama.

no one thinks that. no one expects perfection. some of us expect to have our rights put on the shelf until a more convenient time. after all, we did live through the Clintons throwing us under the bus. this is what Democrats do.

but the point obviously remains that Obama, and the Democrats, might not act on civil rights because it's politically expedient not to do so at a particular time. this is quite different than a Republican who not only wants to deny gays rights, but to actively strip us of any rights, because they are politically sold out to nasty, bigoted forces that fund their campaigns and stir up the base in order to help them win elections.

it actually does matter that the Democrats are sold out to much less scary special interests. because, at the end of the day, while most mainstream Republicans and Democrats -- being educated people who have been exposed to the world and have gay family members and, especially, staffers -- who live in Washington DC are all privately for full equality for gay people, discrimination and bigotry are an active and vital part of the Republican social platform. this is not true for the Democrats.

the joys of our two party system.

We must not censor historical references to God for the sake of political correctness. And we must truthfully represent the limited form of government the Constitution lays out so that our ‘government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.’ So help us God.”
Genuine freedom begins with the rejection of religion.

the phrase "In God We Trust"

The phrase? I thought it was more than a phrase but was in fact our national motto. Anyway, no need to get heavy-handed, the monuments and their reverence for the Almighty or Creator speak for themselves.

The phrase? I thought it was more than a phrase but was in fact our national motto. Anyway, no need to get heavy-handed, the monuments and their reverence for the Almighty or Creator speak for themselves.

"an" Almighty or Creator is more accurate.

it could well have been Allah, Vishnu, or Zeus.

Irvine your being a monotheistic triumphalist, the real Godhead is composed of seventeen distinct deities, it should be the almighty creators.

/Fun fact, for a deist the Creator established the laws of nature - for a pantheist the laws of nature are the Creator.

The first requisite for the happiness of the people is the abolition of religion.
--Karl Marx

A tragic miscalculation of human nature.

yes, Marx is solely responsible for the holocaust, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

you'll also note that Marx said "religion" and not "a Creator."

i think maybe Bono would agree with Marx here.

not that that matters.

Another fun fact. Christians believe God created man in His own image -- the atheist believes God was created in man's image.
Not necessarily, only that the concept of God was created by man, and it takes a lot of different forms.

yes, Marx is solely responsible for the holocaust, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc.

you'll also note that Marx said "religion" and not "a Creator."

i think maybe Bono would agree with Marx here.

not that that matters.

My object in life is to dethrone God and destroy capitalism.
--Karl Marx

Neither of which I believe Bono would endorse.

My object in life is to dethrone God and destroy capitalism.
--Karl Marx

Neither of which I believe Bono would endorse.

oh, golly.

are we going to now use Marx in the way that some like to use the "founding fathers"? which is to pick the quotes they like?

the point remains: the "founding fathers" were deists, they were not modern conservative evangelical protestants. their notions of "God" are intentionally ambiguous and amorphous. attempts to label the US a "Christian" nation fall short of understanding either the US or Christianity.

believing in God makes you happy. you find meaning. lovely. i'm happy for you. i wish you well and i hope you find all the peace, comfort, and meaning that you are looking for.

but not everyone believes in any sort of God, not everyone feels as if they are missing anything from their lives because they have no God or no religion.

it remains a fact that "under God" was tossed into the pledge for propaganda purposes.

it also remains a fact that such a post by me was the precise intention of the starter of this thread.

I didn't say that, I said that genuine freedom begins with the rejection of religion.

Still a miscalculation of human nature. Freedom without boundaries and rules isn't freedom, it's anarchy. Some of us (including the Founding Fathers) prefer the self imposed boundaries of religion to the tyranny of the state.
And if you measure freedom by happiness, poll after poll shows religious people to live happier, longer lives.

April 2008
Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - Americans Who Are Religious and Older People Are Happier

HAPPINESS INDEX

The Harris Interactive/Marriott School Happiness Index is calculated by taking an average (mean) of those who strongly agree with statements 1- 4 and 7 and strongly disagree with statements 5, 6,8,9 (see Table 2)

Base:
All Adults

Religiousness

Very religious

Religious

Not Religious

Not at all religious

Church Attendance

Daily

At least once a week

Few times a month

Twice a year or less

Never

Born Again

Yes

Still a miscalculation of human nature. Freedom without boundaries and rules isn't freedom, it's anarchy.

We have boundaries and rules. We call them "laws" in some cases, in others we call them "common sense".

oh, golly.

are we going to now use Marx in the way that some like to use the "founding fathers"? which is to pick the quotes they like?

the point remains: the "founding fathers" were deists, they were not modern conservative evangelical protestants. their notions of "God" are intentionally ambiguous and amorphous. attempts to label the US a "Christian" nation fall short of understanding either the US or Christianity.
I just don't like to see history being rewritten or misstated. Like
the "founding fathers" were deists

Religious Affiliation of U.S. Founding Fathers: # of FoundingFathers % of Founding Fathers

Episcopalian/Anglican 88 54.7% (Franklin & Jefferson Deist)
Presbyterian 30 18.6%
Congregationalist 27 16.8%
Quaker 7 4.3%
Dutch Reformed/German Reformed 6 3.7%
Lutheran 5 3.1%
Catholic 3 1.9%
Huguenot 3 1.9%
Unitarian 3 1.9%
Methodist 2 1.2%
Calvinist 1 0.6%
(includes signers and members of Constitutional Convention)

Only two Deist

Four of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were current or former full-time preachers.

Back
Top Bottom