Another "Hate Crime" goes unnoticed..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
Man gets life for killing company intern in Pa.

Nov 24 2008 5:44PM

Associated Press
Eds: APNewsNow. Will be led.

MEDIA, Pa. (AP) A jury says a suburban Philadelphia businessman should get life without parole for murdering a company intern. Delaware County prosecutors had sought the death penalty for 43-year-old William Smithson, of Glen Mills.

12601.jpg

Smithson was convicted Friday of first-degree murder, attempted rape, kidnapping, drug and other charges. Jurors decided Monday to spare him the death penalty for killing 23-year-old Jason Kyle Shephard, whose body was found in Smithson's home in September 2006.

Smithson drugged Shephard, tried to rape him and then strangled him when Shephard fought back.

Shephard was an avid runner from Cavalier, N.D., a small town near the Canadian border, who was studying sports marketing.

From what I understand gay people are much more likely to eat their lovers (or random people who answer their requests) than straight people, maybe you can go with that angle?

No, regardless of the veracity of that claim, this topic appears to be a 'hot potato' to the majority here-hence the lack of responses to this thread.

<>

No, regardless of the veracity of that claim, this topic appears to be a 'hot potato' to the majority here-hence the lack of responses to this thread.

<>

Well, that assumption will make you feel better about yourself.

Truth is, most of us can smell a troll post a mile away.

What exactly is a hot potato about this case? Murder? Rape? I don't see where there's a hate crime in any of this.

You're just shit-stirring, as usual.

You don't think the the murderer killed the victim because he was straight?

So because the victim "fought back" you think it means he was straight? I think he "fought back" because he'd been, you know, kidnapped, drugged and about to be raped. Doesn't matter if he was gay or straight.

I don't think there's enough information in that story to indicate any motive. I could read the story you posted and come away thinking that a) the murderer was gay; b) the victim was gay and maybe the other guy killed him because of it; c) both men were gay.

:shrug:

So because the victim "fought back" you think it means he was straight? I think he "fought back" because he'd been, you know, kidnapped, drugged and about to be raped. Doesn't matter if he was gay or straight.

I don't think there's enough information in that story to indicate any motive. I could read the story you posted and come away thinking that a) the murderer was gay; b) the victim was gay and maybe the other guy killed him because of it; c) both men were gay.

:shrug:

As you said, he's just:

DSCN1231.jpg

Maybe in the extremely small minds of those who think a marriage and a civil union are so equal they'd spend $30m to make sure they stay equal, a gay person wouldn't fight back if he was being raped, I mean, it's all about the sex no matter what, right ?

Lovely. Another one of those threads that imply that all gay people are criminals and/or perverts. Wake me up when straight people stop committing crimes en masse.

What? How can you assume that the victim was straight? Do you think gay people like to be kidnapped and raped???

Jason didn't seem too gay in the last moments of his life:

Details of student's death emerge (Matthew Shepard in reverse)
Aberdeen American News ^ | Tue, Sep. 26, 2006

Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:04:44 AM by jwalburg

A Northern State University student who was found dead last week in Pennsylvania was strangled after rejecting sexual advances from a sales manager for the company he was interning for, authorities have said.

Jason Shephard, 23, was found bound by belts and wrapped in sheets in the basement of William F. Smithson's home in Thornbury Township, Pa., according to court documents. The Delaware County Times in Pennsylvania also reported that the basement contained a couch, mirrored ceiling and video equipment.
The 40-year-old Smithson, who worked in the Philadelphia office of the Brookings-based Daktronics Inc., was arrested and charged with first-, second- and third-degree murder, attempted rape, abuse of a corpse, aggravated assault, unauthorized administration of an intoxicant and tampering with evidence, a court official said Monday. Shephard, who was interning in Brookings, was in Pennsylvania on a three-day business trip.

According to reports from the Associated Press, Smithson allegedly slipped the date-rape drug GHB into Shephard's drink during dinner Sept. 18 and then the next day reported him missing. Authorities found Shephard's body around 6:30 p.m. Thursday after getting a tip from a former lover of Smithson's.

The Associated Press reported that Smithson confided in the former lover, who works in law enforcement in Virginia. Smithson's former lover said Smithson told him that Shephard rejected his advances "and started to physically fight his advances." The former lover visited Smithson's home and reported seeing what he believed to be a body in a bedroom.

Shephard, who is originally from Cavalier, N.D., was not registered for classes this semester at Northern State. However, Shephard, who ran track and cross country at the university, had planned to return when his internship with Daktronics ended, said Brenda Dreyer, NSU director of university relations. Dreyer said a memorial service is being planned at Northern State University. However, the university is waiting to hear back from the family, who is still in Pennsylvania.

On Monday, Mike Miller, the manager at the Athlete's Foot in Aberdeen, remembered Shephard as someone who always had a smile on his face. Shephard worked at the store for about two years, Miller said. He last saw Shephard two weeks ago, when he stopped by to make sure he could come back to work when he returned to school.

"Without trying to sound like everyone else, Shep was the kind of guy who was worthy of a laugh," Miller said. "If you weren't laughing at him, you were laughing with him. He always had a big, toothy smile on his face."

Miller said Shephard spoke highly of his internship with Daktronics. Before he left, he had talked of becoming a physical education teacher, Miller said. However, after working at Daktronics, he was more interested in the business and marketing side of the industry.

"Things were really starting to click for him," said Miller, who described Shephard as a staunch Republican who liked to talk about his faith. "He left not knowing exactly what he wanted to do, but the doors were starting to open for him. He seemed excited about it."

Mark Steinkamp, a spokesperson for Daktronics, would only confirm that both Shephard and Smithson worked for Daktronics. He said Daktronics would have no further comment.

"There is an ongoing investigation and we're limited in what we can say," Steinkamp said.

The atmosphere was somber on Monday as Miller worked. He said he found out about Shephard's death on Thursday after a phone call from some employees of the store. While much of the talk around the store has centered on Shephard, details of his death have not been discussed, Miller said.

"You can imagine the fear that he went through. That's not how I want to remember him," he said. " ... (Shephard) joked about being a kid from Cavalier going to see what the world had to offer. I don't think that's what he had in mind."

Smithson is being held without bail in the Delaware County, Pa. Jail. His next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday in Concord, Pa.

So where does it say he was straight ?

Are we to suppose you will now post every rape/murder crime committed by a straight person ? Or are you just trolling ? (rhetorical)

HE FOUGHT BACK BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO BE RAPED OR DIE!!

Are you that dense? Really?

So when a man attacks me in the parking lot in the dark and I fight back, I must be a lesbian.

holy shit... cavalier is right next door to me. i've been there a hundred times.
hmm.
that's certainly interesting to me. i don't really get what diamond is getting at though.

So according to your logic, diamond, a woman who fights off a male attempting to rape her is not acting like a heterosexual?

You have crossed the line, diamond. Fighting off rape has nothing to do with your sexual orientation or the sexual orientation of the attacker. The insinuation that if you're gay (or your attacker belongs to the gender that you find attractive) you wouldn't fight off RAPE is sickening and utterly inexcusable.

This thread is done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom