And Now Third Hand Smoke Kills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/health/research/03smoke.html?ref=health

third-hand smoke.
That’s the term being used to describe the invisible yet toxic brew of gases and particles clinging to smokers’ hair and clothing, not to mention cushions and carpeting, that lingers long after second-hand smoke has cleared from a room. The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they’re crawling or playing on the floor.

That seems like fear mongering, especially saying radioactive materials, there are radioactive materials in my own body for goodness sake, the question is how much harm does that minimal exposure cause - and do the benefits of minimising third hand exposure justify the costs.

It's amazing how the 2 worst drugs, alcohol and tobacco, the ones responsible for more deaths per year than all the "illegal" drugs combined, are legal and the ones that cause little to no physical harm (marijuana, LSD, mushrooms, etc) are illegal and you go to prison for using them.

That seems like fear mongering, especially saying radioactive materials, there are radioactive materials in my own body for goodness sake, the question is how much harm does that minimal exposure cause - and do the benefits of minimising third hand exposure justify the costs.

i would tend to agree with you here.

i'd be surprised if third-hand smoke was any more harmful than inhaling car exhaust while walking down the street. perhaps we could get some babies to volunteer for prolonged, consistent exposure to smoke laden furniture, clothing, and flooring. i suppose it's possible that extended contact with the carcinogens could lead to problems.

It's amazing how the 2 worst drugs, alcohol and tobacco, the ones responsible for more deaths per year than all the "illegal" drugs combined, are legal and the ones that cause little to no physical harm (marijuana, LSD, mushrooms, etc) are illegal and you go to prison for using them.

outlawing alcohol failed dramatically the first time. moreover, modest consumption is not only perfectly safe, it is healthful.

I walk out the pub and walk twenty feet to the curb of a busy street.

I smoke a Lucky Strike.

I return and the residue from my smoke kills you.

Oh jeez. Did someone actually say that to you? I am not by any means proud to be a smoker but I think that's overreacting just a tad. I personally have always been respectful of the people around me when I smoke. Now I can harm someone just by hanging out with them after I smoke? Oh I better not hug them or let them touch anything I've touched. :lol: You'd think it was the plague or something.

i'd be surprised if third-hand smoke was any more harmful than inhaling car exhaust while walking down the street.

Seriously. I can think of a lot of worse things to inhale.

Ola, haven't seen you around for aaages, I assumed you were in a state of perpetual election celebration until the inauguration.

Seems extreme... although it does stink, and this is coming from a sometime smoker.

But, I don't see anyone doing anything about banning 3rd hand smoke...:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom