An anniversary worth remembering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
White Rose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WhiteRose.jpg

:up:

I will never forget the quote from Traudl Junge, Hitler's personal secretary, about Sophie Scholl:

All these horrors I've heard of during the Nurnberg process, these six million Jews, other thinking people or people of another race, who perished. That shocked me deeply. But I hadn't made the connection with my past. I assured myself with the thought of not being personally guilty. And that I didn't know anything about the enormous scale of it. But one day I walked by a memorial plate of Sophie Scholl in the Franz-Joseph-Strasse. I saw that she was about my age and she was executed in the same year I came to Hitler. And at that moment I actually realised that a young age isn't an excuse. And that it might have been possible to get to know things.

Nice. :) They have been quite interesting characters. Their father, a liberal politician, has always taught them the values which they later stood up for. Their sister, Inge Scholl, has written a very good account on their life stories and the motives.
When they were kids, like any other kid they joined the Hitler Youth and League of German Maidens, respectively, and were fascinated by it. Both Hans and Sophie advanced in them.
When Hans studied medicine and served at the eastern front for a while, he came to realize what was really going on and that turned his life around. But their willingness to risk everything for doing what they felt was right, that is quite amazing.

Back
Top Bottom