America Dies On Dunkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I saw this story on tv while waiting in an ER in a hospital that had a Dunkin Donuts on another floor. I was surprised that a hospital would have a DD-then again we are all responsible for our own choices.

USA Today

Doctor fired over 'America Dies on Dunkin' sign

PENSACOLA, Fla. — Dr. Jason Newsom railed against burgers, french fries, fried chicken and sweet tea in his campaign to promote better eating in a part of the country known as the Redneck Riviera. He might still be leading the charge if he had only left the doughnuts alone.

A 38-year-old former Army doctor who served in Iraq, Newsom returned home to Panama City a few years ago to run the Bay County Health Department and launched a one-man war on obesity by posting sardonic warnings on an electronic sign outside:

"Sweet Tea (equals) Liquid Sugar."

"Hamburger (equals) Spare Tire."

"French Fries (equals) Thunder Thighs."

He also called out KFC by name to make people think twice about fried chicken.

Then he parodied "America Runs on Dunkin'," the doughnut chain's slogan, with: "America Dies on Dunkin'."

Some power players in the Gulf Coast tourist town decided they had had their fill.

A county commissioner who owns a doughnut shop and two lawyers who own a new Dunkin' Donuts on Panama City Beach turned against him, along with some of his own employees, Newsom says. After the lawyers threatened to sue, his bosses at the Florida Health Department made him remove the anti-fried dough rants and eventually forced him to resign, he says.

"I picked on doughnuts because those things are ubiquitous in this county. Everywhere I went, there were two dozen doughnuts on the back table. At church, there were always doughnuts on the back table at Sunday school. It is social expectation thing," says Newsom, a lean 6-foot, 167-pounder in a county where 39% of all adults were overweight in 2007 and one in four was considered obese.

Newsom was hired by the state Health Department to direct the county agency. His $140,000-a-year salary is paid jointly by the state and the county. His job primarily involves educating the public about health issues — swine flu, AIDS and the like — but he also decided to address the dangers of glazed, sprinkled and jelly-filled treats.

He angered staff members by barring doughnuts from department meetings and announcing he would throw the fat-laden sweets away if he saw them in the break room. He also banned candy bars in the vending machines, putting in peanuts instead.

In May, lawyers Bo Rivard and Michael Duncan, co-owners of a new Dunkin' Donuts, asked Newsom to take down the "America Dies on Dunkin'" message. Newsom already had run other anti-doughnut warnings, including "Doughnuts (equals) Diabetes," and "Dunkin' Donuts (equals) Death."

The businessmen had the backing of County Commissioner Mike Thomas, who owns a diner and a doughnut shop. Thomas called for Newsom's ouster, saying the doctor shouldn't have named businesses on the message board.

"I think he was somewhat of a zealot," Thomas says. "I don't have a problem with him pushing an agenda, it's the way he did it. People borrowed money to go into business and they are being attacked by the government."

A short time after Newsom's meeting with Rivard and Duncan, Newsom says, his bosses at the state Health Department told him that his leadership wasn't wanted and that he could be fired or resign. He chose to resign May 8 but has reapplied for the job.

"I have never been known for my subtlety. I don't have a knack for it. I speak the truth to people and just assume that that my data and purpose are so real and true that everyone will see the value of what I'm doing," says Newsom, who now works at a prison, doing exams of inmates.

Rivard and Duncan did not return numerous calls to their offices.

"Dunkin' Donuts is pleased that the signs have been removed," Andrew Mastrangelo, a spokesman for Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin' Donuts said in an e-mail.

The Florida Health Department has refused to talk about Newsom since he is considered a job applicant. "We will be happy to talk to you after the position has been filled," department spokeswoman Susan Smith said in an e-mail.

Newsom is hoping to get his job back so that he can resume his campaign against overeating.

"My method was a little provocative and controversial," he says, "but there wasn't a person in Bay County who wasn't talking about health and healthy eating."

Is it bad that this article makes me want to go out and get a doughnut? :uhoh:

I had the same craving. I could totally go for a chocolate dipped right now. :drool:
This guy should also put up a sign saying "Dunkin' Donuts Promotes Illiteracy"
All this time I thought it was spelled donut!

How about this?

s-SAVE-THE-WHALES-large.jpg

PETA's new billboard campaign in Florida is raising eyebrows and ire among women and health groups. A drawing on billboards in Jacksonville depicts an obese woman with the phrase, "Save The Whales, Lose The Blubber: Go Vegetarian."

In a press release, PETA stated:

A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini.

Anyone wishing to achieve a hot "beach bod" is reminded that studies show that vegetarians are, on average, about 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters.

"Trying to hide your thunder thighs and balloon belly is no day at the beach," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "PETA has a free 'Vegetarian Starter Kit' for people who want to lose pounds while eating as much as they like.

Jessica at Feministing blasts the billboard as "fat-shaming" and that "PETA owes the residents of Jacksonville a serious apology."

Holly at Deceiver states, "This is exactly what you would expect [from PETA] -- no empathy for humans whatsoever, just a lot of B.S. about how vegetarianism will make fat people just a little bit less of a blight on humanity."

PETA is known for its attention-grabbing tactics involving scantily clad-women, like this veggie dog eat-in on Capitol Hill that involved playboy playmates wearing only lettuce bikinis.

When asked to comment on the charges that the ad is sexist and mocking of overweight people, Ashley Byrne, a senior campaigner for PETA stated, "Our goal is help overweight Jacksonville residents - the best way to do that is to go vegetarian. We're not trying to insult anyone. Vegetarians look and feel better than meat eaters. This is a life-saving message."

When asked specifically if the billboard shames overweight people, Byrne stated, "If the billboard is shocking, hopefully it will gets people's attention, and help them improve quality of life for themselves and their families.... it's designed to help people."

What I meant was from my experience the overweight don't suffer as much as the famished. But I know you just wanted to troll for a fight, so I oblige. We're lucky we have food to bitch about.

What I meant was from my experience the overweight don't suffer as much as the famished.
But this really has nothing to do with the article, no one stated anything about doughnuts or nothing.

But I know you just wanted to troll for a fight, so I oblige. We're lucky we have food to bitch about.

No, in all honesty it's the last thing I wanted, I was just asking a simple question.

I just meant it's better to have than have not, no matter how "unhealthy" the food. We're blessed. You can get away with eating dunkin and McD's and still be healthy. I'm living proof.

You can get away with eating dunkin and McD's and still be healthy. I'm living proof.

Not a steady diet of it, for years. When you get older it will catch up to you. Don't know how old you are but unless you're superhuman, it will.

If healthy means you're not getting sick and you're not overweight-well I wouldn't count on that lasting. You can make healthier choices at both places but moderation is the key.

It is our responsibility, no amount of food police by people like this doctor can change that fact. Kids need it because they don't have all the info and they like good tasting stuff. Adults like that stuff but they have the info.

I'd like to know when PETA will make an insulting ad with a big guy in a Speedo, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not encouraging it for every meal. I don't think it's something to fear once in a while. Moderation works for everything, you can get fat on Healthy Choice if you don't limit yourself.

MrsS, my problem with PETA is they like to make a point about animal rights at the expense of humans. They almost killed my friend's sister by trying to blow up the building she worked in. It doesn't surprise me they'd try to "shame" women into vegetarianism. You make a good point about the man in the speedo.

I just meant it's better to have than have not, no matter how "unhealthy" the food. We're blessed.
Are we blessed in the since that we have a junk food problem instead of famine problem? Of course. But why don't we compare ourselves to countries or situations that are a little more similar. If we do that, we'll see we're not that blessed.

You can get away with eating dunkin and McD's and still be healthy.

On occasion? Of course. Steady diet? No way.

my problem with PETA is they like to make a point about animal rights at the expense of humans. They almost killed my friend's sister by trying to blow up the building she worked in. It doesn't surprise me they'd try to "shame" women into vegetarianism

Sorry about your friend's sister, and I agree with you

Feministing: Main

"Seriously? This shit is just shameful. Consider this woman's reaction after seeing the billboard:

"I was planning on taking [my family] to the beach to enjoy the beautiful day when I saw a billboard that made me want to cry.

...We all sat there and stared at it for a minute and everyone in the car was silent. No one wanted to mention my weight. I laughed it off as usual, but it really had made me so embarrassed, so self conscious and so ashamed about my weight that I dropped off my family at the oceanfront and left to go home, making the excuse that I wasn't feeling well.
"

PETA Takes the Cake With ‘Save The Whales’ Billboard at Deceiver.com

"The PETA press release that follows is exactly what you would expect — no empathy for humans whatsoever, just a lot of B.S. about how vegetarianism will make fat people just a little bit less of a blight on humanity. In honor of them, I’ve compiled a list of vegetarian foods that will definitely make you skinny:

* Häagen-Dazs
* French fries*
* Funnel cake
* Nachos
* Onion rings*
* Potato chips*
* Fettuccine alfredo
* Pizza
* Mozzarella sticks
* Bloomin’ Onion/Awesome Blossom*
* Hash browns*
* Belgian waffles
* Twinkies
* Cookies
* Soda*
* Soy venti frappuccino*
* Cupcakes
* Doughnuts
* Brownies
* Veggie corn dogs*
* Chips and queso
* Potato skins
* Macaroni and cheese
* Samosas*
* Cinnabon
* Beer*

Asterisks denote items that are vegan. You could eat nothing but what’s on this list and be a card-carrying vegetarian, but I doubt you’d be thin. I think they owe some Jacksonville residents a huge apology, but excuse me if I don’t hold my breath."

You can get away with eating dunkin and McD's and still be healthy. I'm living proof.

I'd be careful of believing that. It's quite possible to be thin, while still having fat surrounding your organs, rather than being plump on the outside. And, yes, as its been said, being in a chronic state like this will eventually catch up to you when you're old.

Well my latest CBC gave me no reason to worry, if something gets me so be it. I could die happy for a doughnut some days. You should see my 86yr old grandfather go to town on his food with the salt shaker. lol I have bigger problems to worry about.

If Americans smoked and drank more, maybe they wouldn't stuff their faces with donuts and hamburgers?

If Americans smoked and drank more, maybe they wouldn't stuff their faces with donuts and hamburgers?

i think if Americans had more healthy sex then they wouldn't stuff their faces so much.

there seems to be to be a huge correlation between the unhealthiness of one's cultural diet and the amount of psychosexual repression in this country.

everyone's got to have a vice, and it could well be argued that a few glasses of wine, a cigarette, and some sex is far, far better for your health than Popeyes and Cold Stone.

i am very anti-tobacco for a variety of reasons, but it's a matter of degree, and one cigarette per day is probably better for you than one donut per day.

Actually, statistically there's a lot less in the US than in the 1950s, for example. Would you say the country is happier now or then?

How many of us would really want to live in the 50's? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. :yikes: Maybe straight, white guys wouldn't mind, but I can't imagine others liking it.

i think if Americans had more healthy sex then they wouldn't stuff their faces so much.

there seems to be to be a huge correlation between the unhealthiness of one's cultural diet and the amount of psychosexual repression in this country.

everyone's got to have a vice, and it could well be argued that a few glasses of wine, a cigarette, and some sex is far, far better for your health than Popeyes and Cold Stone.

i am very anti-tobacco for a variety of reasons, but it's a matter of degree, and one cigarette per day is probably better for you than one donut per day.

DUDE! I'm going to be in your hood tomorrow, and I'm trying to find a place to get a tattoo in the U-Street downtown area that won't give me hepatitis. E-mail me, perhaps you can join us for dinner before hand. And any tat location recommendations are welcome! exwhyzee @gmail.com

Actually, statistically there's a lot less in the US than in the 1950s, for example. Would you say the country is happier now or then?

I'd have been much happier back when I couldn't attend an Ivy League school or have the career opportunities that I have now or see my gay and interracial friends marry....

I agree with you here, we are still dealing with the legacy of puritanism.

"I speak the truth to people and just assume that that my data and purpose are so real and true that everyone will see the value of what I'm doing," says Newsom, who now works at a prison, doing exams of inmates.
nice. so basically he just pulls statistics he hears out of his ass without doing any research on if it's true or not. i'm not gonna lie, we all know doughnuts and soda are unhealthy. but i don't see how he expects to be respected and valued if he's not even necessarily giving facts.

Back
Top Bottom