America Dies On Dunkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to know when PETA will make an insulting ad with a big guy in a Speedo, but I'm not holding my breath.

PETA has a long, proud tradition of sexist ad campaigns. :wink:

Re: the Deceiver article, fettuccine alfredo is not vegetarian if it's made with parmesan cheese....And when PETA says "vegetarian", they always mean "vegan". I get a little tired of people attacking vegetarians every time PETA pulls a stupid stunt.

i think if Americans had more healthy sex then they wouldn't stuff their faces so much.

there seems to be to be a huge correlation between the unhealthiness of one's cultural diet and the amount of psychosexual repression in this country.
Meh. I think people "stuff their faces" because they can; because the kinds of calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods conducive to so many of these (health) problems are now so widely and cheaply available. Lack of an established, cohesive culinary tradition (in North America) doesn't help, and neither do increasingly sedentary lifestyles (another 'because we can'), or moralizing approaches to eating as a struggle between pleasure and purity; but I really doubt that how often you get laid has much to do with it. Unless I'm taking your point too literally, which I might be.

How about this?

s-SAVE-THE-WHALES-large.jpg

PETA's new billboard campaign in Florida is raising eyebrows and ire among women and health groups. A drawing on billboards in Jacksonville depicts an obese woman with the phrase, "Save The Whales, Lose The Blubber: Go Vegetarian."

In a press release, PETA stated:

A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini.

Anyone wishing to achieve a hot "beach bod" is reminded that studies show that vegetarians are, on average, about 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters.

"Trying to hide your thunder thighs and balloon belly is no day at the beach," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "PETA has a free 'Vegetarian Starter Kit' for people who want to lose pounds while eating as much as they like.

Jessica at Feministing blasts the billboard as "fat-shaming" and that "PETA owes the residents of Jacksonville a serious apology."

Holly at Deceiver states, "This is exactly what you would expect [from PETA] -- no empathy for humans whatsoever, just a lot of B.S. about how vegetarianism will make fat people just a little bit less of a blight on humanity."

PETA is known for its attention-grabbing tactics involving scantily clad-women, like this veggie dog eat-in on Capitol Hill that involved playboy playmates wearing only lettuce bikinis.

When asked to comment on the charges that the ad is sexist and mocking of overweight people, Ashley Byrne, a senior campaigner for PETA stated, "Our goal is help overweight Jacksonville residents - the best way to do that is to go vegetarian. We're not trying to insult anyone. Vegetarians look and feel better than meat eaters. This is a life-saving message."

When asked specifically if the billboard shames overweight people, Byrne stated, "If the billboard is shocking, hopefully it will gets people's attention, and help them improve quality of life for themselves and their families.... it's designed to help people."

I support vegetarianism, even though I'm not actually one anymore (I'm hopeless like that), but I didn't lose any weight when not eating meat, if anything I probably gained some. But PETA are full of tossers anyway.

I really think soft-drinks should be targeted at least as much, if not more, than fast food. Fast drinks are quicker and easier.

edit: and if PETA are talking about vegans, well, that's still by no means a gate-way to being fit. You can't expect anything of the sort with such broad dietary options.

Well my latest CBC gave me no reason to worry, if something gets me so be it. I could die happy for a doughnut some days. You should see my 86yr old grandfather go to town on his food with the salt shaker. lol I have bigger problems to worry about.

Even putting aside the health concerns, donuts (and other gross things on that list) are really just not good. They're kind of gross, they're greasy, and they're not even anything resembling a decent pastry. I eat healthy because I want to eat healthy, but truth be told, I wouldn't eat a donut because I think it's pretty freakin' nasty, and that's my main reason for it.

but I really doubt that how often you get laid has much to do with it. Unless I'm taking your point too literally, which I might be.

it's less about how much you get laid and more how you feel about getting laid.

an orgy of deep fried food isn't much different than an actual orgy.

My rule with donuts is that I eat but never buy, so I eat one maybe once every few months when someone treats us at work. I don't think I've bought myself (or anyone else) a donut since Krispy Kreme opened here in 2002 and a few times we would go out at 3am, get a dozen, and then be so sick on them we wouldn't go again for months and eventually not at all. I only like plain glazed anyway so even when being treated I often pass, I hate anything with frosting or or any form of jelly goo on top or inside.

Donuts and pastries are not among my (many) vices but I will say, a fresh Krispy Kreme is like a little ring of heaven. :drool:

I'm with Irvine though, the endorphin release from delicious sex beats a sugar/grease/fat/carb rush any day.

Moderation in all things."

~Saint Paul

And GET OFF THE COUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's lack of physical activity, not the french fries.

The next time you watch a film made in the 1930s or 40s just try to find a fat person!
Not there!

No Diet Cokes or High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I am not afraid of food and I love it all from anchovies to zucchini.

Be moderate, eat a wide variety, and move.

My two cents :)

Now for a ice cold glass bottle of Cheerwine.
(pure cane sugar)

Yeah, it's both when ALL some people eat seriously is fast food and frozen dinners. To me "moderation" is not trying to cancel out eating crap with more exercise. I've seen people start to exercise a lot and not lose any weight or get any healthier b/c they never changed their eating habits, or even got worse.

Not that I can talk, today I ate Frosted Flakes (dry), fries and nuggets, and some Ramen noodles :wink:

Moderation in all things."

~Saint Paul

And GET OFF THE COUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's lack of physical activity, not the french fries.

This I agree with...

The next time you watch a film made in the 1930s or 40s just try to find a fat person!
Not there!

This I don't...

Hollywood hasn't changed that much, you still won't find that many fat people in movies, unless they are making fun of being fat...

But you also didn't have "super size" options, as many "all you can eat" buffets, deep fried twinkies at the fair, etc...

We celebrate and advertise gluttony far too much in this country.

'Thunder Thighs' is a term I've never heard before but it sounds slightly erotic and I'd probably hit it, that term, I would.

Back
Top Bottom