America Dies On Dunkin - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
meegannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I'd like to know when PETA will make an insulting ad with a big guy in a Speedo, but I'm not holding my breath.
PETA has a long, proud tradition of sexist ad campaigns.

Re: the Deceiver article, fettuccine alfredo is not vegetarian if it's made with parmesan cheese....And when PETA says "vegetarian", they always mean "vegan". I get a little tired of people attacking vegetarians every time PETA pulls a stupid stunt.
__________________

__________________
meegannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #32
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think if Americans had more healthy sex then they wouldn't stuff their faces so much.

there seems to be to be a huge correlation between the unhealthiness of one's cultural diet and the amount of psychosexual repression in this country.
Meh. I think people "stuff their faces" because they can; because the kinds of calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods conducive to so many of these (health) problems are now so widely and cheaply available. Lack of an established, cohesive culinary tradition (in North America) doesn't help, and neither do increasingly sedentary lifestyles (another 'because we can'), or moralizing approaches to eating as a struggle between pleasure and purity; but I really doubt that how often you get laid has much to do with it. Unless I'm taking your point too literally, which I might be.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
How about this?



PETA's new billboard campaign in Florida is raising eyebrows and ire among women and health groups. A drawing on billboards in Jacksonville depicts an obese woman with the phrase, "Save The Whales, Lose The Blubber: Go Vegetarian."

In a press release, PETA stated:

A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini.


Anyone wishing to achieve a hot "beach bod" is reminded that studies show that vegetarians are, on average, about 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters.

"Trying to hide your thunder thighs and balloon belly is no day at the beach," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "PETA has a free 'Vegetarian Starter Kit' for people who want to lose pounds while eating as much as they like.

Jessica at Feministing blasts the billboard as "fat-shaming" and that "PETA owes the residents of Jacksonville a serious apology."

Holly at Deceiver states, "This is exactly what you would expect [from PETA] -- no empathy for humans whatsoever, just a lot of B.S. about how vegetarianism will make fat people just a little bit less of a blight on humanity."

PETA is known for its attention-grabbing tactics involving scantily clad-women, like this veggie dog eat-in on Capitol Hill that involved playboy playmates wearing only lettuce bikinis.

When asked to comment on the charges that the ad is sexist and mocking of overweight people, Ashley Byrne, a senior campaigner for PETA stated, "Our goal is help overweight Jacksonville residents - the best way to do that is to go vegetarian. We're not trying to insult anyone. Vegetarians look and feel better than meat eaters. This is a life-saving message."

When asked specifically if the billboard shames overweight people, Byrne stated, "If the billboard is shocking, hopefully it will gets people's attention, and help them improve quality of life for themselves and their families.... it's designed to help people."
I support vegetarianism, even though I'm not actually one anymore (I'm hopeless like that), but I didn't lose any weight when not eating meat, if anything I probably gained some. But PETA are full of tossers anyway.

I really think soft-drinks should be targeted at least as much, if not more, than fast food. Fast drinks are quicker and easier.

edit: and if PETA are talking about vegans, well, that's still by no means a gate-way to being fit. You can't expect anything of the sort with such broad dietary options.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Well my latest CBC gave me no reason to worry, if something gets me so be it. I could die happy for a doughnut some days. You should see my 86yr old grandfather go to town on his food with the salt shaker. lol I have bigger problems to worry about.
Even putting aside the health concerns, donuts (and other gross things on that list) are really just not good. They're kind of gross, they're greasy, and they're not even anything resembling a decent pastry. I eat healthy because I want to eat healthy, but truth be told, I wouldn't eat a donut because I think it's pretty freakin' nasty, and that's my main reason for it.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
but I really doubt that how often you get laid has much to do with it. Unless I'm taking your point too literally, which I might be.


it's less about how much you get laid and more how you feel about getting laid.

an orgy of deep fried food isn't much different than an actual orgy.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
but truth be told, I wouldn't eat a donut because I think it's pretty freakin' nasty, and that's my main reason for it.
Unless, of course, it's filled.
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #37
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
but truth be told, I wouldn't eat a donut because I think it's pretty freakin' nasty, and that's my main reason for it.
That doesn't even make sense.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 10:05 PM
My rule with donuts is that I eat but never buy, so I eat one maybe once every few months when someone treats us at work. I don't think I've bought myself (or anyone else) a donut since Krispy Kreme opened here in 2002 and a few times we would go out at 3am, get a dozen, and then be so sick on them we wouldn't go again for months and eventually not at all. I only like plain glazed anyway so even when being treated I often pass, I hate anything with frosting or or any form of jelly goo on top or inside.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #39
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 03:05 AM
Donuts and pastries are not among my (many) vices but I will say, a fresh Krispy Kreme is like a little ring of heaven.

I'm with Irvine though, the endorphin release from delicious sex beats a sugar/grease/fat/carb rush any day.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Moderation in all things."

~Saint Paul

And GET OFF THE COUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's lack of physical activity, not the french fries.

The next time you watch a film made in the 1930s or 40s just try to find a fat person!
Not there!

No Diet Cokes or High Fructose Corn Syrup.


I am not afraid of food and I love it all from anchovies to zucchini.

Be moderate, eat a wide variety, and move.



My two cents

Now for a ice cold glass bottle of Cheerwine.
(pure cane sugar)
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

I am not afraid of food and I love it all from anchovies to zucchini.

chitlins??
__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,295
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

It's lack of physical activity, not the french fries.
No, it's both.
__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Yeah, it's both when ALL some people eat seriously is fast food and frozen dinners. To me "moderation" is not trying to cancel out eating crap with more exercise. I've seen people start to exercise a lot and not lose any weight or get any healthier b/c they never changed their eating habits, or even got worse.

Not that I can talk, today I ate Frosted Flakes (dry), fries and nuggets, and some Ramen noodles
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
chitlins??

I love 'em

Here where I live, in the South, most grocery stores sell them in gallon buckets.

Or we get them on our own on the farm
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I love 'em

Here where I live, in the South, most grocery stores sell them in gallon buckets.

Or we get them on our own on the farm
Oh I'm quite familiar with the buckets.
__________________

__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bono to speak at Women's conference cstar PLEBA 433 11-02-2008 12:21 AM
American pilot drops 500 pound bomb, Kills 4 Canadians. bonoman Free Your Mind Archive 98 06-20-2003 11:33 AM
Wake Up America (Merged) Dreadsox Free Your Mind Archive 25 04-17-2003 05:28 PM
The Algebra of Infinite Justice no disk Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 6 10-10-2001 03:59 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com