Local Time: 04:15 AM
Allergic kids are being tormented by bullies with food

Peanut menace? Bullies use food to torment allergic kids
1 in 4 kids, young adults has been teased or harassed, new study says

By JoNel Aleccia
Health writer
msnbc.com
updated 9/28/2010 8:37:12 AM ET

When a Wenatchee, Wash., high school student smeared peanut butter on the forehead of a fellow student with a serious peanut allergy two years ago, it was so shocking that the offender faced an assault charge and four days in jail.

“What were you thinking when you did this?” district court Judge Nancy Harmon asked Joshua Hickson, then 19, before the sentencing, according to news reports.

But a new study of parents and kids living with allergies suggests that bullying of youngsters allergic to foods of all types is actually a widespread — and potentially life-threatening — worry.

Peanut menace? Allergy bullies use food to torment

About 1 in 4 kids, teens and young adults with allergies reported being teased, harassed or bullied because they were allergic, according to a new survey published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Of 353 families of kids ages birth to 25 surveyed at allergy conferences across the nation, 85 reported that their kids had been plagued because of the problem.
When children under 5 were excluded from the results, that rose to 35 percent, and among kids in grades six through 10, it was as high as 50 percent, noted Dr. Scott H. Sicherer, a professor of pediatrics at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

Verbal taunts, teasing most common

“It was a surprise from several aspects,” said Sicherer, noting that the study was the first known effort to quantify allergy bullying. “Overall, the rate was quite high.”

Nearly 4 percent of children younger than 18 in the United States have food allergies, a figure that jumped 18 percent from 1997 to 2007. Peanut allergies rose from .4 percent of kids in 1997 to 1.4 percent in 2008, according to a previous study by Sicherer.

For kids with allergies, bullying can take several forms. In the new study, most of the teasing and harassment — about 65 percent — came in the form of verbal taunts and threats.

“It’s, ‘Oh, I’ve smeared peanut on the water fountain,’ or ‘Ha-ha, you can’t eat this,’” Sicherer explained.

But for 35 percent of those who responded to the survey, the bullying took a physical form. That included everything from waving a peanut butter sandwich in front of an allergic child to intentionally contaminating food with an allergen.

Twelve of the kids said that they had been touched with foods to which they were allergic, contact that could cause minor skin irritation — or a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. The chance of child being so allergic that the smell or brief touch of a food could trigger a dangerous response is remote, but the fear of such an incident is very real, Sicherer noted.

“The emotional impact is a significant factor here,” he said. “A child being bullied about anything has a significant emotional impact.”
Of 67 kids who reported consequences, about 65 percent reported being sad, depressed or embarrassed, the study showed.

Nearly 86 percent of those bullied said it had happened more than once. About 82 percent of the bullying incidents were carried out by other students, most often at schools. But, Sicherer noted, 18 of those who were bullied, or about 20 percent, were teased or harassed by a teacher or other school staff.
“When an adult does something, it’s even a heavier impact,” he observed.

Just bullying in another form

Tormenting someone because of an allergy is no different than any other form of bullying, said Judy Kuczynski, president of Bully Police USA, an advocacy group based in Minneapolis.

“It’s just another variation on theme,” she said. “Bullying is based on an imbalance of power based on contempt.”

But parents of allergic kids who fear bullying might have more forceful allies in school counselors and school nurses, staff who recognize that allergy bullying code pose a serious safety issue, Kuczynski said.
Kids who are bullied must tell their parents — and parents must tell school personnel, Sicherer said.

In the 2008 Wenatchee case, Hickson, the 19-year-old who smeared his fingers with peanut butter from someone's sandwich and then wiped it on the allergic student, was suspended from school before being convicted of simple assault. He told officers — and the judge — that he didn’t know about the seriousness of peanut allergies, news reports said.

Younger children might be excused from knowing that certain foods could cause dangerous reactions, Kuczynski said. But older teens and young adults should certainly know better.

“It’s not surprising,” she said. “It’s horrifying.”

I have to agree with Kuczynski, this is horrifying. It's horrifying to think that people would go so low as to wave a food or drink that someone is allergic to, in the person's face.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:15 AM
We had a kid here die because they kissed another kid that had eaten peanuts earlier in the day. If they knew it was this serious would they still be assholes?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:15 AM
My daughter has an anaphylactic peanut allergy.

You can be assured that there will be no hidden or phone cams capturing the action if I have to hunt down any little fuckers who bully her.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 04:15 AM
kids caught bullying should be tied up and given 10 lashes in front of the whole school
Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
if not in front of the whole school, put it on skype so it can go viral!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
That is so outrageous that no one is being taught respect of human life or peoples unfortunate health issues.

My nephew who is 7 has a peanut/egg allergy. The egg allergy being more serious than the peanut but will go into anaphalictic shock. His epipen is his best friend. Its not that uncommon anymore for people not to realize the deadly affects an allergy can have on a child. My sons 2 friends also have peanut allergies. This world is in a sad state if thats the only thing they can find to pick on certain kids about.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:15 AM
Disturbing story, very, very disturbing. Not at all surprising, though-kids will find anything to pick on each other about.

That's incredibly stupid and cruel. Just when you think some people can't sink any lower in their treatment of others...

Angela
Old 10-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
This world is in a sad state if thats the only thing they can find to pick on certain kids about.
I completely agree. Bullies are so lazy and uncreative these days. There are a ton of more entertaining ways to pick on a kid

Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
That's incredibly stupid and cruel. Just when you think some people can't sink any lower in their treatment of others...
Yes. How low can they go?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

When a kid bullies a another with the food their allergic to and they die from their anaphalctic reaction, does that mean that the kid would be charged with murder who did the bullying?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe schools should be more proactive about teaching kids about allergies, epipens, first aid, etc. Obviously I'm not a kid but I take first aid (and CPR/AED) once a year and I can't help but think kids might see it as "cool" to be in the know about these things, do a little first aid course in grade school where they can see the dummy pens and learn about allergies.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
Refugee

Again, where are the parents who raise these kids?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I completely agree. Bullies are so lazy and uncreative these days. There are a ton of more entertaining ways to pick on a kid

you know what I mean....
Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I know FYM is mostly void of humour, but it was a joke
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Again, where are the parents who raise these kids?
Killing themselves to stay afloat financially, I'm guessing. It seems like we've become completely parentless in the effort just to stay solvent...