Allergic kids are being tormented by bullies with food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green Eyes

War Child
Road Trippin' Across The Universe to Zoo Station
Peanut menace? Bullies use food to torment allergic kids
1 in 4 kids, young adults has been teased or harassed, new study says

By JoNel Aleccia
Health writer
msnbc.com
updated 9/28/2010 8:37:12 AM ET

When a Wenatchee, Wash., high school student smeared peanut butter on the forehead of a fellow student with a serious peanut allergy two years ago, it was so shocking that the offender faced an assault charge and four days in jail.

“What were you thinking when you did this?” district court Judge Nancy Harmon asked Joshua Hickson, then 19, before the sentencing, according to news reports.

But a new study of parents and kids living with allergies suggests that bullying of youngsters allergic to foods of all types is actually a widespread — and potentially life-threatening — worry.

Peanut menace? Allergy bullies use food to torment

About 1 in 4 kids, teens and young adults with allergies reported being teased, harassed or bullied because they were allergic, according to a new survey published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Of 353 families of kids ages birth to 25 surveyed at allergy conferences across the nation, 85 reported that their kids had been plagued because of the problem.
When children under 5 were excluded from the results, that rose to 35 percent, and among kids in grades six through 10, it was as high as 50 percent, noted Dr. Scott H. Sicherer, a professor of pediatrics at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

Verbal taunts, teasing most common

“It was a surprise from several aspects,” said Sicherer, noting that the study was the first known effort to quantify allergy bullying. “Overall, the rate was quite high.”

Nearly 4 percent of children younger than 18 in the United States have food allergies, a figure that jumped 18 percent from 1997 to 2007. Peanut allergies rose from .4 percent of kids in 1997 to 1.4 percent in 2008, according to a previous study by Sicherer.

For kids with allergies, bullying can take several forms. In the new study, most of the teasing and harassment — about 65 percent — came in the form of verbal taunts and threats.

“It’s, ‘Oh, I’ve smeared peanut on the water fountain,’ or ‘Ha-ha, you can’t eat this,’” Sicherer explained.

But for 35 percent of those who responded to the survey, the bullying took a physical form. That included everything from waving a peanut butter sandwich in front of an allergic child to intentionally contaminating food with an allergen.

Twelve of the kids said that they had been touched with foods to which they were allergic, contact that could cause minor skin irritation — or a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. The chance of child being so allergic that the smell or brief touch of a food could trigger a dangerous response is remote, but the fear of such an incident is very real, Sicherer noted.

“The emotional impact is a significant factor here,” he said. “A child being bullied about anything has a significant emotional impact.”
Of 67 kids who reported consequences, about 65 percent reported being sad, depressed or embarrassed, the study showed.

Nearly 86 percent of those bullied said it had happened more than once. About 82 percent of the bullying incidents were carried out by other students, most often at schools. But, Sicherer noted, 18 of those who were bullied, or about 20 percent, were teased or harassed by a teacher or other school staff.
“When an adult does something, it’s even a heavier impact,” he observed.

Just bullying in another form

Tormenting someone because of an allergy is no different than any other form of bullying, said Judy Kuczynski, president of Bully Police USA, an advocacy group based in Minneapolis.

“It’s just another variation on theme,” she said. “Bullying is based on an imbalance of power based on contempt.”

But parents of allergic kids who fear bullying might have more forceful allies in school counselors and school nurses, staff who recognize that allergy bullying code pose a serious safety issue, Kuczynski said.
Kids who are bullied must tell their parents — and parents must tell school personnel, Sicherer said.

In the 2008 Wenatchee case, Hickson, the 19-year-old who smeared his fingers with peanut butter from someone's sandwich and then wiped it on the allergic student, was suspended from school before being convicted of simple assault. He told officers — and the judge — that he didn’t know about the seriousness of peanut allergies, news reports said.

Younger children might be excused from knowing that certain foods could cause dangerous reactions, Kuczynski said. But older teens and young adults should certainly know better.

“It’s not surprising,” she said. “It’s horrifying.”

I have to agree with Kuczynski, this is horrifying. It's horrifying to think that people would go so low as to wave a food or drink that someone is allergic to, in the person's face.:rant:

We had a kid here die because they kissed another kid that had eaten peanuts earlier in the day. If they knew it was this serious would they still be assholes?

My daughter has an anaphylactic peanut allergy.

You can be assured that there will be no hidden or phone cams capturing the action if I have to hunt down any little fuckers who bully her.

kids caught bullying should be tied up and given 10 lashes in front of the whole school

That is so outrageous that no one is being taught respect of human life or peoples unfortunate health issues.

My nephew who is 7 has a peanut/egg allergy. The egg allergy being more serious than the peanut but will go into anaphalictic shock. His epipen is his best friend. Its not that uncommon anymore for people not to realize the deadly affects an allergy can have on a child. My sons 2 friends also have peanut allergies. This world is in a sad state if thats the only thing they can find to pick on certain kids about.

This world is in a sad state if thats the only thing they can find to pick on certain kids about.

I completely agree. Bullies are so lazy and uncreative these days. There are a ton of more entertaining ways to pick on a kid

:wink:

When a kid bullies a another with the food their allergic to and they die from their anaphalctic reaction, does that mean that the kid would be charged with murder who did the bullying?

Maybe schools should be more proactive about teaching kids about allergies, epipens, first aid, etc. Obviously I'm not a kid but I take first aid (and CPR/AED) once a year and I can't help but think kids might see it as "cool" to be in the know about these things, do a little first aid course in grade school where they can see the dummy pens and learn about allergies.

Killing themselves to stay afloat financially, I'm guessing. It seems like we've become completely parentless in the effort just to stay solvent...

Some of these stories are happening in very affluent schools, so I don't buy this theory.

Assholes often raise assholes. Bigots often raise bigots. etc...

Some will break the mold, especially if there are generational changes helping.

Now don't get me wrong economics can play a huge role, in both extremes.

But I'm not about to blame a recession for bad parenting.

Some of these stories are happening in very affluent schools, so I don't buy this theory.

Agreed. Every bully that I remember at the college age was a private school asshole or "mean girl." And I'd bet many of their mothers didn't work outside of the home.

Some of these stories are happening in very affluent schools

Which are very expensive, hence why I'm guessing both parents are working in order to keep them there. Particularly given the economic straits we're in.

But I'm not about to blame a recession for bad parenting.

The question was, "where are the parents who raise these kids?" A plausible answer is, "working." I'm willing to wonder whether absentee parenting is at least part of the factor. Or is there a problem with considering the broad socio-economic factors that might be at play here?

Which are very expensive, hence why I'm guessing both parents are working in order to keep them there. Particularly given the economic straits we're in.
Ok, but I have a hard time using the phrase "killing themselves to stay afloat" when talking about those schools. Sure there may be a few families, but I wouldn't say the norm.

The question was, "where are the parents who raise these kids?" A plausible answer is, "working." I'm willing to wonder whether absentee parenting is at least part of the factor. Or is there a problem with considering the broad socio-economic factors that might be at play here?

No, I don't think there's a problem per se, just a lack of parmeters.

Are we suggesting since both parents started joining the work force?

Are we suggesting the recent recession?

What are we suggesting?

Not to be off topic here, but one reason for all these allergic kids
might be that mothers are no longer breasts feeding their babies.

Mother's milk has a lot of good stuff.

That SoY BaBy mIlk iS dAnGeRouS :reject:

That is so outrageous that no one is being taught respect of human life or peoples unfortunate health issues.

My nephew who is 7 has a peanut/egg allergy. The egg allergy being more serious than the peanut but will go into anaphalictic shock. His epipen is his best friend. Its not that uncommon anymore for people not to realize the deadly affects an allergy can have on a child. My sons 2 friends also have peanut allergies. This world is in a sad state if thats the only thing they can find to pick on certain kids about.

I agree. My grand daughter is only six years old and understands all about my blood sugar issues. Knowing that grandmom eats lots of veggies (complex carbs), lean meats and certain foods grandmom can't have.

With her parents approval of course. This is teaching her that people can and do have medical conditions. One of her best friends has asthma. She knows if her friend is having trouble breathing to go get her mommy right away.

I live in a lower to middle income neighborhood. And I have to say that most parents are doing a very good job raising their children. Both tend to have jobs, especially when the children reach school age. But, the children are not left unattended. There are after school programs and babysitters, daycare. Two incomes are usually needed to make the house payments, car, utilities, food, etc.

So, I don't think income is the problem. Lack of boundries and respect for others is.

Breast is best but despite my best and extended nursing efforts given my own environmental allergies, my daughter is allergic to peanuts.

No, I don't think there's a problem per se, just a lack of parmeters.

And consequences. And modeling good behaviour on how to treat people properly. So absence due to excessive working and job-related stress are definitely contributing factors. Parents who feel guilty generally aren't good disciplinarians.

Although I've observed the bigger problem to be parents who, when presented with situations of their child's bullying behaviour, completely deny any wrongdoing - not MY little Bobby - as if their parenting skills were in question in a personal attack rather than recognizing a teachable moment.

Breast is best but despite my best and extended nursing efforts given my own environmental allergies, my daughter is allergic to peanuts.

And consequences. And modeling good behaviour on how to treat people properly. So absence due to excessive working and job-related stress are definitely contributing factors. Parents who feel guilty generally aren't good disciplinarians.

Although I've observed the bigger problem to be parents who, when presented with situations of their child's bullying behaviour, completely deny any wrongdoing - not MY little Bobby - as if their parenting skills were in question in a personal attack rather than recognizing a teachable moment.

You nailed it. Yep, that is exactly it. "Not my little Bobby." I agee. Use it as teaching "Bobby" that he can not hit or disrespect others. And sometimes you have physco parents who raise their kids to be criminal.

We seem to follow the propaganda that best fits our views, I guess.

Well we know that you fall for propaganda, you've actually admitted to it recently.

But I know first hand that breast feeding isn't a necessity. I myself am adopted and grew up dealing with adopted kids, so don't feed me the propaganda line.

Mother's milk has a lot of good stuff.

That SoY BaBy mIlk iS dAnGeRouS :reject:

I was bottlefed as a baby. Allergy-free. Can eat any food with no problem. Same with my sister. If women choose to breastfeed, fantastic, go for it, but some don't want to, and that's their choice, too. I get the feeling the risks to their children will most likely be more or less the same either way.

AliEnvy hit the nail on the head. I fully understand many parents, especially parents nowadays, have to work extra hard to take care of their families, and can't always be home with their children as often as they want or need to be. But even a hectic schedule shouldn't cause you to forget to teach your kids things like manners and respect. It's not like you need to carve time out of your day to teach those simple concepts.

Angela

Except there is no science to support that view.

And there is science to support the Th1/Th2 theory of peanut allergy.

But of course that isn't as sexy for you as yelling about the government trying to kill us with baby formula or aspartame.

That is awful and I'm not making light of it but there is a funny scene in an Australian comedy mocumentary called Summer Heights High where Mr G talks about one of the little trouble makers in his class who has a peanut allergy and how he keeps a jar of peanut butter in his desk to 'deal with him.'

Back
Top Bottom