"All the world will denounce the SONY." - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

What kind of dirt do the hackers have on Sony? Would it really be surprising to learn that people involved in making movies are giant assholes? Possibly with some misogyny, racism and puppy kicking?

I was talking to a coworker about this this morning. I too want to know how much more damning stuff they have on The Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #47
The Fly

I thought this was interesting

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...internet.shtml

Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Wrong on all counts

What's your take? Genuinely curious.

And, guys, Newt Gingrich thinks this is an act of war. I'm glad we're getting his critical opinion on this.

Sent from
Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 08:08 AM
George Clooney has a VERY interesting take on all this, you can read his interview on Nikki Finke's site, Deadline Hollywood.
Deadline | Hollywood Entertainment Breaking News

The article is called "Hollywood Cowardice"

Regardless of whether you're a Clooney fan or not--and I confess I'm generally meh--my respect for him just shot up leaps and bounds. He's the only one in Tinseltown (or the media, for that matter) who seems to grasp the profoundly frightening implications of what just happened here. The questions he raises are of the huge importance and nobody is asking them right now. Worth a read.

Interesting tidbit from the article: When Nixon went to China, he was asked why the US supported South Korea, and he said it was because we (America) were the guardians of peace.
Think about that.
I mean, really think about that.
And wonder why the White House has responded the way it has so far, and why it is pledging a continued limited response. They must know more than they are willing admit, about who did this.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
What's your take? Genuinely curious.

They had absolutely no choice in regards to pulling it from theatres, and the current 'no release anywhere' (digital, subscription, DVD etc) suggestion I would say is still actually TBC, for a couple of reasons. It's really not Sony 'bowing to terrorists'. Yet.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
There's no way this movie was pulled because anyone thought there was a real threat to movie goers.

The movie was pulled because the publicity and interest had reached such a level that Sony couldn't have possibly released this piece of garbage, especially when the theaters started backing out.

Now they'll release it on demand, many will go rent it, and they'll make millions off this sheer pile of donkey crap they call a movie.
Word on the street is that Sony will not release it period, under any format, and will claim this as a "total loss" for insurance purposes.

If/when that happens, the movie would supposedly be property of the insurance company, who in turn, could potentially release this in some form if they wanted to recoup whatever would be potentially be paid to Sony.

Had Sony allowed this to be released "On Demand" or streaming only, then it would not be a total loss and they couldn't get as much from an insurance claim.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teta040 View Post
George Clooney has a VERY interesting take on all this, you can read his interview on Nikki Finke's site, Deadline Hollywood.
Deadline | Hollywood Entertainment Breaking News

The article is called "Hollywood Cowardice"

Regardless of whether you're a Clooney fan or not--and I confess I'm generally meh--my respect for him just shot up leaps and bounds. He's the only one in Tinseltown (or the media, for that matter) who seems to grasp the profoundly frightening implications of what just happened here. The questions he raises are of the huge importance and nobody is asking them right now. Worth a read.

Interesting tidbit from the article: When Nixon went to China, he was asked why the US supported South Korea, and he said it was because we (America) were the guardians of peace.
Think about that.
I mean, really think about that.
And wonder why the White House has responded the way it has so far, and why it is pledging a continued limited response. They must know more than they are willing admit, about who did this.
Link wasn't working for me, but here you go:

Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack | Deadline
Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Was reading a comment string on Gawker about how perhaps the decision came from Sony in Japan (i.e., the poppermost of the toppermost). That would be interesting and could change the narrative quite a bit here. Japan's relation to NK is different than ours.

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Was reading a comment string on Gawker about how perhaps the decision came from Sony in Japan (i.e., the poppermost of the toppermost). That would be interesting and could change the narrative quite a bit here. Japan's relation to NK is different than ours.

Thoughts?

Combo of this + Mrs Garrison above, but still some TBC there.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
(i.e., the poppermost of the toppermost).
Old 12-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Well, the terrorists/hackers were right, the world is indeed denouncing "the SONY".
Old 12-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #57
The Male

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...-gop/20635449/

We don't negotiate with terrorists.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #58
The Fly

Local Time: 01:08 AM
President Obama seems to be a James Flacco fan.
I have no idea who that is.
Obama Says 'James Flacco.' The Internet Says, Thank You : The Two-Way : NPR
Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Obama said he was sympathetic to the damage and threats Sony has dealt with. " "Having said all that, yes I think they made a mistake," Obama said.

"We cannot have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship here in the United States," he said. "Because if somebody is able to intimidate folks out of releasing a satirical movie, imagine what they start doing when they see a documentary that they don't like or news reports that they don't like."

Even worse, Obama said, "imagine if producers and distributors and others started engaging in self-censorship because they don't want to offend the sensibilities of somebody whose sensibilities probably need to be offended."

"That's not who we are. That's not what America's about," he said.
Agreed, except, whatever happened to those pictures of Bin Laden with a bullet in his head, brah?
Old 12-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Obama overall is obviously completely right, but not about the studios position, which is pretty silly, including saying 'they should have talked to me', when before he gave that opinion perhaps someone should have talked to them. Again (as Sony Pictures chief Michael Lynton has been out and about making clear since Obama's press conference) the decision on how/when with the film has not been made, it was only pulled from the Dec 25 theatrical release because... there effectively wasn't one, and that wasn't their decision.

The studio still badly wants to get it out *somehow*, even if many/most possible distribution partners are shaky on it, and even if Tokyo really, really just wants it all to go away, and really just wants to claw back whatever cash they can. That - from the studio - has been consistent, and doing so will likely mean further significant financial loss and either more trouble or embarrassment via more stuff being leaked. It's the opposite of 'giving in'. Hopefully it works out.