Alcohol Abuse - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 440
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Alcohol Abuse

It's a known fact to most U2 fans that Adam was an alcoholic back in the early 90s, and that it meant that his technician had to play at one of the ZOO-TV Sydney shows - and that Edge hinted that Adam could be history in U2 if he didn't get himself together. But do we know why he was depressed enough to start drinking?
__________________

__________________
ybab gnuthca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Excessive life style more than depression i think.
__________________

__________________
vaz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Forum Moderator
 
ramblin rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 12,861
Local Time: 04:21 PM
I thought it was related to his on again off again relationship with Naomi Campbell.
__________________
ramblinrose[at]interference.com
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
New Yorker
 
Yahweh_OMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 2,838
Local Time: 11:21 PM
his drinking started before the Naomi break-up. it was more because of the rock star attitude.... Zoo was a crazy time. Then the night he missed was indeed mostly because of his break-up with Naomi. I remember reading that he got drunk, high and slept with prostitutes all night....
__________________
Yahweh_OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,962
Local Time: 04:21 PM
Was Adam okay?
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh_OMG View Post
his drinking started before the Naomi break-up. it was more because of the rock star attitude.... Zoo was a crazy time. Then the night he missed was indeed mostly because of his break-up with Naomi. I remember reading that he got drunk, high and slept with prostitutes all night....
I've still got that edition of the Sun I should flog it on ebay,
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,662
Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybab gnuthca View Post
But do we know why he was depressed enough to start drinking?

Alcoholics don't necesarrily need depression, or the rock n roll lifestyle, etc to drink...

Any answer as to "why" would just be pure speculation.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Rosebud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
Posts: 7,213
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh_OMG View Post
his drinking started before the Naomi break-up. it was more because of the rock star attitude.... Zoo was a crazy time. Then the night he missed was indeed mostly because of his break-up with Naomi. I remember reading that he got drunk, high and slept with prostitutes all night....
I thought he said he just drank everything in his hotel room bar?

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought he said that a while before the missed show, he had realized that the sauce was getting out of hand, and layed off it. Then the day before the show, (because of Naomi, or whatever else) he slipped back and just went through all the alcohol in the room.

That's what I remember..who knows if that's true though.
__________________
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Refugee
 
Ellay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: England
Posts: 2,073
Local Time: 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Excessive life style more than depression i think.
I agree
__________________
Ellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 440
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Alcoholics don't necesarrily need depression, or the rock n roll lifestyle, etc to drink...

Any answer as to "why" would just be pure speculation.
There's usually a reason why people start drinking.
__________________
ybab gnuthca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,662
Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybab gnuthca View Post
There's usually a reason why people start drinking.
How much work have you done with alcoholics or known? Do a little research, you'll find you're wrong in this assumption.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedgirl View Post
I've still got that edition of the Sun I should flog it on ebay,
Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybab gnuthca View Post
There's usually a reason why people start drinking.
Everyone else is doing it. It tastes good. Likes the way it makes him feel. All sorts of innocuous reason people start drinking (or using other mind altering substances). Doesn't have to be anything major or seamy, and often isn't.
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
TheBrazilianFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Porto Alegre, Brasil
Posts: 8,580
Local Time: 08:21 PM
I say Adam is a classic case of low self esteem who finds comfort in alcohol and that eventually leads him to depression. That mixed with the fact that in his youth he found himself in a band and his naive self thought he had to be all of what people expect of someone in a rock band has to be, but it caught up to him at some point.

Him getting wasted and missing a concert because of his brake up with Naomi in 93 was the last drop I guess. I think it was what showed him he was heading to the wrong direction.
__________________
TheBrazilianFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,059
Local Time: 03:21 PM
It's hard to conceive of why the healty and much loved bass player in U2 would fall into a depressive state, but we've seen this happen -- usually in much worse circumstances than Adam's -- one thousand times with famous musicians who are addicts. Adam will always be an alcoholic, which means he will always have an addictive character, which means he'll always have to be careful. It's no different from people like Elvis and Johnny Cash who were handed amphetamines in their 20s to keep them going on long tours, happened to have addictive bodies and characters, and ended up dependent on little pills to get them through every day of their lives, despite their apparently lofty status in life. In Adam's case, he was lucky that he's in such a clean, healthy, and productive band as U2 where his band mates are willing to help him and keep an eye on him.

If you're looking to identify the moment when Adam went from 'young guy who loves to party' and into 'alcoholic', we could only speculate.

I thought it was interesting in a recent interview when Adam put out the theory that it took U2 about 10 years to 'recover' from the success that The Joshua Tree gave them. That kind of success changes people's lives whether they like it or not, I suppose.
__________________
65980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 06:21 PM
probably because he's irish
__________________

__________________
Tiger Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Callers DVD Trade List - New Update 2/17/06 caller78 All I Want Is U2 6 02-25-2006 04:28 PM
DVD Trade List ( U2 and others ) caller78 All I Want Is U2 10 02-07-2006 09:28 PM
Callers DVD Trading List caller78 U2 Trading Post 0 12-31-2005 10:38 AM
DVD Trading List ( U2 - Coldplay - And Others ) caller78 U2 Trading Post 3 12-25-2005 10:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com