Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
from my work with a variety of substance abusers in various stages of their life, they would be very offended to hear they are labelled and judged by others as having a disease and cant ever recover. i guess recovery and support models are different here.
No one said they can't recover. This is not a judgement, this is part of any AA or NA program out there.

If you were an addict and there was a cure, then you would be able to return to normal social drinking... and that's not the case. This is why someone who is 30 years sober is still considered an alcoholic.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiv View Post
AA is... Bullshit.

For people who can't accept ownership for their lives. Call it a disease. It's easier than growing up and you get to hang out with a bunch of other losers just like you.
Leukemia is a disease.
i could type out a well thought out reply debunking every point you made, but i'd rather take on your intellectual level of debate and reply with the following:

nfi.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:01 PM
wow, this got moved to FYM... really?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Speaks volumes for FYM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #65
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 04:01 AM
My mum said that were boring because they aren't as interesting to read about in the tabloids like the Gallagher brothers or Pete Doherty. Yes she was joking.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #66
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How much work have you done with alcoholics or known? Do a little research, you'll find you're wrong in this assumption.
Are you saying that alcohol isn't often used to reduce anxiety, worries and stress? And these aren't all symptoms of depression?

And stop acting like a cock, please.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Cock?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #68
Refugee

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiv View Post
AA is... Bullshit.

For people who can't accept ownership for their lives. Call it a disease. It's easier than growing up and you get to hang out with a bunch of other losers just like you.
As a child of an alcoholic who died because of her disease, I have to take issue with your remark. Alcoholics don't have control, or they wouldn't really be alcoholics, would they? No one as a child, seeing their parent passed out on the floor in a puddle of their own vomit and says, "Gee, I want to grow up to be like that." There is such a thing as an addictive personality...some people have it, some people don't. Alcohol is a drug, just like meth, cocaine, etc, with addictive qualities for people who are easily seduced. Sure, it's very seductive to those who already have issues, like depression, but it's very possible for someone like Adam, or any other fucking rockstar/musician, to have an issue with it and become an alcoholic.

Don't write shit off because YOU don't believe in it, it's real. When you watch it kill someone you love, it becomes very real.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #69
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybab gnuthca View Post
Are you saying that alcohol isn't often used to reduce anxiety, worries and stress? And these aren't all symptoms of depression?

And stop acting like a cock, please.
Well to start with I wouldn't say anxiety and stress are symptoms of depression, they can be part of depression, but you can have both anxiety and stress without depression, and vice versa.

And yes you're right that many will treat anxiety and stress with alcohol, but it doesn't mean they will necessarily abuse it or be an alcoholic. Most experts will say that true alcoholics will seek out alcohol no matter what, it doesn't really need a trigger. Like I said before we don't really know if Adam is a true alcoholic or if he just had a period or problem drinking but I'm inclined to think he's a true alcoholic.

Acting like a cock? Are you serious?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chels82 View Post
As a child of an alcoholic who died because of her disease, I have to take issue with your remark
I'm sorry

I guess some people just aren't educated about alcoholism
Old 07-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'm sorry

No apologies required. I'm simply stating my side of it. My mother didn't desire to get better and get help...so death was the best route for her.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I'm sorry

Well, actually, there are different views on the subject. The medical profession is by no means united. While some doctors think that alcoholism meets the characteristics of a disease, others disagree and view it as simply a bad habit.

I can accept that AA benefits some individuals, but many other alcohol abusers successfully give up without AA, and some are put off by the cult like aspects.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

I know enough about it, unfortunately

But I do also know that alcoholics aren't just "losers" who don't want to grow up, that's what I was commenting on. Obviously other people here have had some personal experience with it as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #74
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, actually, there are different views on the subject. The medical profession is by no means united. While some doctors think that alcoholism meets the characteristics of a disease, others disagree and view it as simply a bad habit.

I can accept that AA benefits some individuals, but many other alcohol abusers successfully give up without AA, and some are put off by the cult like aspects.
I was actually wondering the same thing. The poster doesn't seem to be arguing that alcoholism exists, he/she just seems to have a problem with the disease model of treatment. I was wondering if they could explain more about what they object to as far as the disease model and 12-step programs go.

I know that one of the basic tenants of 12-step programs is that you turn yourself over to a higher power, which could be problematic for some atheists/agnostics. I suppose some could also view it as not taking personal responsibility (not that I agree with the latter, just putting it out there).
Old 07-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #75
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Well to start with I wouldn't say anxiety and stress are symptoms of depression, they can be part of depression, but you can have both anxiety and stress without depression, and vice versa.

And yes you're right that many will treat anxiety and stress with alcohol, but it doesn't mean they will necessarily abuse it or be an alcoholic. Most experts will say that true alcoholics will seek out alcohol no matter what, it doesn't really need a trigger. Like I said before we don't really know if Adam is a true alcoholic or if he just had a period or problem drinking but I'm inclined to think he's a true alcoholic.

Acting like a cock? Are you serious?
Actually I know for sure that doctors regard anxiety and stress to be symptoms of a depression. Especially anxiety, and stress easily follows.

Um, 'treating' anxiety with alcohol IS abuse of the substance. The right way to cure anxiety or the depression it stems from is with therapy and medicine.

And yeah, I'm serious.