Abortion Doctor Shot and Killed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only people who aren't replying that the act of assassinating a doctor is disgusting are the ones who want to take potshots at liberals.

Dr. George Tiller, late-term abortionist, was murdered today just after 10 am in the lobby of Reformation Lutheran Church in Wichita, KS, where he and his wife were active members.

Whoever murdered George Tiller has done a gravely wicked thing. The evil of this action is in no way diminished by the blood George Tiller had on his own hands. No private individual had the right to execute judgment against him. We are a nation of laws. Lawless violence breeds only more lawless violence. Rightly or wrongly, George Tiller was acquitted by a jury of his peers. "Vengeance is mine, says the Lord." For the sake of justice and right, the perpetrator of this evil deed must be prosecuted, convicted, and punished.

By word and deed, let us teach that violence against abortionists is not the answer to the violence of abortion. Every human life is precious. George Tiller's life was precious. We do not teach the wrongness of taking human life by wrongfully taking a human life. Let our "weapons" in the fight to defend the lives of abortion's tiny victims, be chaste weapons of the Spirit.

Our prayers are with the family of Dr. George Tiller
during this difficult time of loss.

From Jill Stanek’s PRO-Life site.

When it would have been easier to look the other way, Jill Stanek’s commitment to Christ led her to risk her job, reputation, and friendships to stop the terrible practices of abortion and infanticide.

Jill Stanek

From Jill Stanek’s PRO-Life site.

When it would have been easier to look the other way, Jill Stanek’s commitment to Christ led her to risk her job, reputation, and friendships to stop the terrible practices of abortion and infanticide.

Jill Stanek

I was talking about the thread itself.

But I understand what you're saying, regardless.

Great, why didn't he blow up a clinic as well, that too would help the pro-life reputation. :scratch:

lame sarcasm I know

If someone really is pro-life, and really believe abortion (or in this case specifically, late-term abortion) is the murder of a baby, how can they not applaud this shooting?

I think that's why I'm not (at least I don't consider myself) pro-life anymore. I did, at one time. I felt like nobody could give me an answer to the question "when does the foetus become sentient/self aware" so, objectively, I always leaned toward erring on the side of caution; don't kill it, it might be alive. A difficult position for my generally far left leaning self, as most of the people I associate(d) with were more left as well, and in any group I generally stuck out as the only pro-lifer. And I'd get in heated debates. And the worst part of it was I generally believed/agreed with most of the points the pro-choicers made, in particular the argument that desperate women will always find a way, but that people would die in the process.

But I don't think I could shoot down a doctor who performs abortions. It would certainly give me pause, whereas firing on a child murderer would not. So I guess, subjectively, I don't see the foetus as "alive" in the sense that a baby is alive. And that led me to a sort of compromise. I guess I'm pro-choice/anti-abortion. And I think that's what most pro-choice people are. It's a pretty recent shift for me, as recently as 5 years ago I was pretty strongly pro-life.

And I wonder how the traditional "pro-life" movement can be so short-sighted. Do these people really think shooting doctors, bombing clinics, and passing laws will stop abortion? Sure, you bomb a clinic and you stop the abortions they might have done tomorrow; shoot a doctor and obviously the procedure he had scheduled for Tuesday is off. But these people (generally) don't want to educate teens about safer sex practices. They don't want their tax dollars going to help poor single mothers. They just don't think "big picture" when it comes to abortion. Why not look to improve an environment where women feel their best/only choice is to terminate their pregnancy?

Sorry for the derail.

For the life of me I will never understand the killings of abortion doctors no matter what my opinion is. Isn't it hypocritical, they want him to stop killing babies so lets kill him. Unsensable useless act of violence.

but people, some people's live are more or less valuable than others. it's like trade charts in the NFL. would you trade Aaron Rodgers for Chris Simms?

i used to like o'reilly's show, but then i "took the red pill" and started thinking for myself and stopped letting the TV do it for me.

Not at all, then.

he creates an atmosphere that goads the fringe into violence.

it's quite clear that Janet Napolitano's right wing terrorist watch list is absolutely relevant and necessary. from the Oklahoma City bombing to this act of terrorism to Republican Senators warning about "activist judges" to the fact that there's a black president in a country with no actual gun control and a history of assassinations -- it's quite clear that we have to be concerned about the fanatical right, and as the country continues to progress to the left and as the traditional power structure in this country continues to erode and as old certainty gives way to modern complexity, i think we have more of this to fear.

I dont think thats fair. If someone is willing to let a tv personality convince them to commit murder, they're obviously highly disturbed.

yes, absolutely. i do not blame O'Reilly for this. i blame O'Reilly for helping to create an atmosphere that exist on extremists parts of the anti-abortion movement that views these battles as part of a war and doctors as murderers. when it's dramatic, when it's heated, when it seems like there's a whole lot at stake, then that's some good TV right there.

it should absolutely be noted that the vast, vast majority of anti-abortionists are appalled by the murder and know that such actions set their cause back decades (just like the vast majority of Muslims are repulsed by terrorism committed in their name).

it should absolutely be noted that the vast, vast majority of anti-abortionists are appalled by the murder and know that such actions set their cause back decades (just like the vast majority of Muslims are repulsed by terrorism committed in their name).

agreed. Also, I'm curious to hear what Bill O'Reily said?

For some reason, I was watching MSNBC just now, and they had an abortion doctor on the phone. He said that the only difference between the anti-abortion movement and the Taliban is 8000 miles. He did not mention that this killer was an extremist. He did not mention that there are sane people on both sides and extremists on both sides. He did mention, though, that people of the pro-life persuasion basically go around committing terrorism and killing people. I'll look to see if the video appears on youtube in the coming days, because I couldn't believe what this man was saying.

And as usual, David Shuster challenged him on those statements.

Oh no, wait, I'm sorry. I'm mistaken. Shuster didn't say jack squat.

For some reason, I was watching MSNBC just now, and they had an abortion doctor on the phone.

I wish that people would stop referring to them as "abortion doctors." They are ob/gyns who happen to also perform D&Cs, much like they perform C-sections and a host of other medical procedures. But we wouldn't want people to think that these doctors actually provide medical services aside from all the baby killin'.

But we wouldn't want people to think that these doctors actually provide medical services aside from all the baby killin'.

nor do we want to talk about *why* late term abortions are performed -- baby killin' is just easier to say. all that "moral clarity" stuff.

Nevermind the fact that these comprise such a small number of abortions as to be nearly negligible proportionally.

It does strike me that nearly all of the leaders of the loudest, most militant pro-life organizations are white men, and nearly all of those who commit acts of domestic terrorism against clinics and doctors, are, likewise, white men.

It does strike me that nearly all of the leaders of the loudest, most militant pro-life organizations are white men, and nearly all of those who commit acts of domestic terrorism against clinics and doctors, are, likewise, white men.

i suppose they should be sent to Gitmo?

Well, we've touched on Bill O'Reilly, activist judges, Gitmo, and gay marriage in this thread.

Can we work in global warming somehow? :whistle:

Should be interesting to see if the "pro-lifers" (who are also usually pro-capital-punishment) will be pro-capital-punishment in this case

Irony all around....

Most serial killers are also white males. I'm sure theres a link there somewhere.

Also, does anyone else find it somewhat hypocritical that the late term abortion doctors (sorry anitram) are being targeted by the extremists? If a life is a life as soon as the baby is concieved, why would the late term abortions be more of a concern to these people? Sounds like theyre making distinctions in spite of their principles (or am I over simplifying?)
Being pro choice, I find late term abortions fucked up, but I have no problem making that distinction between embryo and fully developed baby. (I realize that sometimes there is a justifiable cause for late term abortion though)

Oh wow, it strikes me that a lot of blacks are fast runners!! And did you hear about the Jews and their plans for world domination???

Look, men are more likely to commit acts of violence than women, period.

But there are plenty of women involved in leading 'militant' pro-life organisations.

Actually, in Ireland, probably the most prominent militant pro-life campaigner during the 1990's was a woman, Niamh Nic Mhathúna:

http://www.youthdefence.ie/history--1995/

Thank you.

If a life is a life as soon as the baby is concieved, why would the late term abortions be more of a concern to these people? Sounds like theyre making distinctions in spite of their principles (or am I over simplifying?)

I think that has to do mostly with the fact that there are fewer such doctors in the US and the ones that do exist have gained notoriety through these pro-life groups that picket them, write about them, and so on. So it's more that they're "famous" and probably easier targets that way. Of course, it's also easier to get outraged about them, which adds to the situation.

Back
Top Bottom