A Trial in Philadelphia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A story two years ago?

Well the discovery at trial is happening now. Will the same standard of journalism, for example, be applied to the Trayvon Martin case when it goes before a jury two years after the fact? Of course not.

I actually posted something back when the story broke and I don't remember much reaction from anybody.

Everyone knows why the media had to be shamed into coverage just as everyone knows that if this monster had used a gun instead of chemicals and scissors to kill all these children this trial would have been front page news from day one. And Obama would be flying around campaigning for this law and that law... "If we can save just one child... we have to do this."

Instead of lashing out at Ironhorse for pointing out the obvious bias in journalism why don't you, as a graduate, go out and improve what has become a sad, pathetic profession. Please!! The country sorely need an honest press that will strive to search for the truth.

Why do you think this story is of such heart stopping importance?

Please avoid phrase like "everyone knows" and "Obama would ..."

Those are too Eastwood.

And lots of people start threads that they think are important but receive little attention, particularly these days.

There have been comments about why this case has received little coverage. Abortion is one reason, because it is a tricky subject to report on. Also, race and class are an issue. To report on this, the media will have to get serious and not have those absurd panel discussions, which is not really journalism.

A story two years ago?

Well the discovery at trial is happening now. Will the same standard of journalism, for example, be applied to the Trayvon Martin case when it goes before a jury two years after the fact? Of course not.

I actually posted something back when the story broke and I don't remember much reaction from anybody.

Everyone knows why the media had to be shamed into coverage just as everyone knows that if this monster had used a gun instead of chemicals and scissors to kill all these children this trial would have been front page news from day one. And Obama would be flying around campaigning for this law and that law... "If we can save just one child... we have to do this."

Instead of lashing out at Ironhorse for pointing out the obvious bias in journalism why don't you, as a graduate, go out and improve what has become a sad, pathetic profession. Please!! The country sorely need an honest press that will strive to search for the truth.
I don't graduate college for another 21 hours.

A story two years ago?

I dunno, I watched several days of the Casey Anthony trial and that was 3 years after the fact...

I think the trial/case is getting attention, just not much discussion. No one will defend that man; everyone thinks he's a monster. What else is there to discuss?

I don't graduate college for another 21 hours.

A most sincere congratulations.
graduation-cap-throw.gif

Why do you think this story is of such heart stopping importance?

I don’t doubt the repulsion of all here with this crime. I’m not debating with you; I’ll just honestly answer your question.

I do not see this as an isolated crime. I see this as a symptom of a sick, sick culture and some people, for whatever reason, would rather avert their attention than face that fact in my opinion.

This story from March was a huge story with “conservative” media but I’ll introduce it to FYM right now (with video):

Planned Parenthood Official Endorses Right to Kill Babies Born Alive - Leah Barkoukis

"So, um, it is just really hard for me to even ask you this question because I’m almost in disbelief," said Rep. Jim Boyd. "If a baby is born on a table as a result of a botched abortion, what would Planned Parenthood want to have happen to that child that is struggling for life?”
"We believe that any decision that's made should be left up to the woman, her family, and the physician," said Planned Parenthood lobbyist Snow.
Rep. Daniel Davis then asked Snow, "What happens in a situation where a baby is alive, breathing on a table, moving. What do your physicians do at that point?”
"I do not have that information," Snow replied. "I am not a physician, I am not an abortion provider. So I do not have that information.”
Rep. Jose Oliva followed up, asking the Planned Parenthood official, "You stated that a baby born alive on a table as a result of a botched abortion that that decision should be left to the doctor and the family. Is that what you’re saying?”
Again, Snow replied, “That decision should be between the patient and the health care provider.”
“I think that at that point the patient would be the child struggling on the table, wouldn’t you agree?” asked Oliva.
"That’s a very good question. I really don’t know how to answer that," Snow said. "I would be glad to have some more conversations with you about this.”

One of the representatives follows up saying, “what objection can you possibly have to obligate a doctor to transport a child alive to a hospital?”
“What about those situations …where it’s in a rural healthcare setting where the hospital is 45 minutes to an hour away?” Snow countered. “There are just some logistical issues involved that we’ve got concerns about.”

How does any caring human being not answer “we take every step to keep that baby alive"?

Apparently this spokesperson for Planned Parenthood cannot put her humanity above her ideology which renders incapable of answering with anything other than her pat pro-choice mantras and bromides. The sickness (moral entropy if you will) in our society is the ability of so many to completely block out what physiologically is taking place inside the womb of a female to the point of being able to morally justify 800,000 to 1,000,000 abortions occurring in this country each year (95% for no reason other than birth control) or that infanticide is somehow permissible if agreed upon by “the woman and her physician." As if that child has no individual rights or society can't judge such actions.

There are more very recent videos. Here a doctor explains how the late-term "procedure" on a born baby can still be accomplished despite the law. I honestly don't know how anyone can watch this and not conclude we have gone down a very dark road.

Investigation #2: Washington, D.C.

Indy, I know you're a man who can pretty much only think in terms of arbitrary appeals to emotion, but what's the difference between that baby in the mother or on the table? Not saying I have the answer

Watched the aptly named FNC special "See No Evil" about this case. If you think this has nothing to do with abortion then explain why, despite numerous complaints and malpractice suits, this clinic was not inspected by PA health officials for 15 years. GOP hack gov. Tom Ridge, for one, shut down investigations fearing inspections might restrict abortions and, well, that has political consequences. In fact, it was an unrelated DEA raid two years ago that finally exposed the horrors of Dr Gosnell and forced PA officials to take action.

See no evil. That's why the national press had no interest.
See no evil. That's why the president cowardly failed to address the issue when he spoke to Planned Parenthood last month.

This clinic has nothing to do with Planned Parenthood.

In fact, the clinic underscores the need for more and better Planned Parenthood.

He butchered babies, he should have gotten the death penalty.

He got life without parole. A fair sentence, IMO.
In any case, he probably wouldn't have been executed anyway (but died in prison before execution). And life without parole is cheaper, so less costs for the tax payer.

He didn't get the death penalty in exchange for giving up his right to appeal. Would you rather he appealed and dragged it out for years and possibly have his conviction overturned? Spend even more taxes on him?

It's supposed to be protect life from conception to natural death. Death penalty is not natural death. The guy is a monster for what he did, and another higher power will have a say. That doesn't mean anyone who is against the death penalty cares any less about those babies or more about him. Just means they're morally (and religiously, if you're looking at it that way) consistent.

Pro-lifers in support of the death penalty.

It boggles the mind.

I love the softballs you've been throwing my way lately. Bobbles the mind?

1) all human life is precious (endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to life) thus:

a) the defenseless and vulnerable must be protected
b) those that take the live of an innocent (murder) may forfeit the right to theirs

You may not agree but it is morally and logically consistent.

Your turn. Explain the consistency of being tenaciously Pro-Choice and against the death penalty. Or in other words how do you justify condemning innocents while showing mercy to those guilty of the most heinous crimes?

1) all human life is precious (endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to life) thus:

b) those that take the live of an innocent (murder) may forfeit the right to theirs

Your turn. Explain the consistency of being tenaciously Pro-Choice and against the death penalty. Or in other words how do you justify condemning innocents while showing mercy to those guilty of the most heinous crimes?

You can't prove that killing is wrong by killing.

At what point do you -- not said "creator" --get to determine that someone forfeits their own precious life?

It's rank hypocrisy. And it basically shows that anti-choice, death penalty advocates hate women and lust for blood. They want vengeance, not justice.

A fetus is not a person, and women are in charge of their own bodies and must be able to determine when they do and do not get pregnant.

I see little "mercy" in life imprisonment, and it's disgusting to suggest that another death somehow proves that you value life.

Done.

Matthew 5:38-48

New International Version (NIV)

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[b] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

If Jesus is the Son of God - the Creator - and He said all this, then how can you justify the death penalty?

What a completely arbitrary and inconsistent leap of logic (and morals. Jesus christ). This makes no sense what so ever.

Just admit you want to send them to have jesus take care of them right away instead of waiting decades. That's really what it is

Matthew 5:38-48

New International Version (NIV)

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[b] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

If Jesus is the Son of God - the Creator - and He said all this, then how can you justify the death penalty?

Romans 13:3-4 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

I like to discuss theology but not argue. So I'm not arguing but surely the Bible is full of references to setting up just governments and tribunals to protect society from criminals by handing out punishment in the name of justice. Again my views on capital punishment is not primarily informed by my faith but I certainly don't feel they are contridictory.

I like to discuss theology but not argue. So I'm not arguing but surely the Bible is full of references to setting up just governments and tribunals to protect society from criminals by handing out punishment in the name of justice. Again my views on capital punishment is not primarily informed by my faith but I certainly don't feel they are contridictory.

The words of Jesus > the words of Paul. Just sayin' :shrug:

You can't prove that killing is wrong by killing.

At what point do you -- not said "creator" --get to determine that someone forfeits their own precious life?

It's rank hypocrisy. And it basically shows that anti-choice, death penalty advocates hate women and lust for blood. They want vengeance, not justice.

A fetus is not a person, and women are in charge of their own bodies and must be able to determine when they do and do not get pregnant.

I see little "mercy" in life imprisonment, and it's disgusting to suggest that another death somehow proves that you value life.

Done.

Thanks for your answer. I think we can agree that you and I exist in very different moral universes.

A fetus is more important than 20 six year olds?

OK....

So the same press that couldn't be bothered with an abortion trial involving the murders of liveborn babies, the death of at least one patient and filthy operating conditions beyond description -- can't stop giving coverage to, and fawning over, Texas state senator Wendy Davis calling her a "rising political star" in the Democratic Party. "Epic," "heroic" are just of few of the adjectives thrown her way. Oh, and president Obama tweeted his support.

So what did she do?

With an 11 hour filibuster she stopped a state bill that would have, in direct response to the decades of horror to women and babies inflicted by Dr Gosnell, banned abortions after the 20th week (the 13th state to do so) and require abortion clinics to meet the safety regulations required of any other medical clinic performing medical procedures.

So who's on the right side history regarding this issue? What has neonatal science learned that wasn't understood 40 years ago? Who are the gullible being tricked by the liberal media-entertainment/abortion complex?

Wendy Davis is on the right side of history.

Forcing poor women into the hands of people like Gosnell is the fault of the anti-choice movement.

Forcing women to have a vaginal ultrasound has nothi g to do with women's health.

Wendy Davis is on the right side of history.

No, she's not.

I'm going to cut and paste the thoughts of a conservative friend who articulated my thoughts on this situation better than I ever could.

"SB 5 essentially had 3 elements designed to regulate abortions and abortion clinics in Texas. I think points 2 and 3 are particularly important.

1. SB 5 ends abortions after 20 weeks except in cases where the health of the mother is in jeopardy. Every poll I have ever seen has shown that the vast majority of Americans, even Americans on the left, feel that abortions in the third trimester should only be performed if the mother's health is in serious jeopardy. The third trimester starts at around 28 weeks. SB 5's author's reasoning for the 20 week restriction is due to studies that show that an unborn child has the ability to both feel and avoid pain at 20 weeks. But if the left doesn't care about the child's pain and thinks that 28 weeks should be the standard, why not argue that? Why demonize this bill as some affront to women's rights rather than just saying, "Change it to 28 weeks and we'll talk?"

2. SB 5 requires that the label of RU-486 (the abortion drug) actually be followed.

For those that don't know, here is what the label says:
"Because it is important to have access to appropriate medical care if an emergency develops, the treatment procedure is contraindicated if a patient does not have adequate access to medical facilities equipped to provide emergency treatment of incomplete abortion, blood transfusions, and emergency resuscitation during the period from the first visit until discharged by the administering physician.
Mifeprex also should not be used by any patient who may be unable to understand the effects of the treatment procedure or to comply with its regimen. Patients should be instructed to review the Medication Guide and the PATIENT AGREEMENT provided with Mifeprex carefully and should be given a copy of the product label for their review. Patients should discuss their understanding of these materials with their health care providers, and retain the Medication Guide for later reference (see PRECAUTIONS)."

"Mifeprex is available only in single dose packaging. Administration must be under the supervision of a qualified physician (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION)."

SB 5 writes these requirements into law.

3. SB 5 requires that abortion clinics meet the standards set for ambulatory surgical centers. 6 abortion clinics in Texas meet these standards currently. 38 do not. 38. Let me repeat that in yet another way: thirty-eight. The press says that all 38 are going to be shut down. I would argue that many of them would try to come up to standard so they could keep making money hand over fist. If enough do not come up to that standard, new clinics will open up that do meet that standard so that THEY can make money hand over fist.

Abortion clinics perform medical procedures that can be risky. Are we seriously arguing that requiring a medical clinic to live up to basic medical standards is a bad thing? Seriously? We want to protect women's rights but feel no need to protect their lives. Wonderful. So if someone I love ever decides to have an abortion in Texas and doesn't know where to go to get one, she has only a 14% chance of landing at a clinic that meets basic medical standards and this is good because it is protecting her womanly rights?

I'm going to quote the author of this bill who sounds much more reasonable than I am at the moment.

'Moving abortion clinics under the guidelines for ambulatory surgical centers will provide Texas women choosing abortion the highest standard of health care. Texas allows no other procedure to opt out of the accepted standard of care.'"

I have said it before and I'll say it again: abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. Safe and legal are not false opposites.

Wendy Davis, sadly, got it wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom