A Nation Divided... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:13 PM
A Nation Divided...

This thread is for stories that make you go WTF, stories of complete parisan bullshit. It doesn't matter what side.

I'll start it off with this one...

We have allegations of radical revolutionaries by people who don't know the definition of revolutionary, we have attacks on acorn, etc etc but THIS, this is REAL legislature!

WTF is wrong with you Republicans!!! Are you this fucking petty?



Al Franken proposes getting rid of the old 'it's OK if you get raped' clause in government contracts, but 30 Republicans object.

Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Rape-Nuts
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Yeah, I saw that and was like "uhhhh ok?" Yeah I'm a republican, but sometimes I wonder whats happened to the party.
__________________

__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 05:13 PM
I could write a novel. We all probably could. But here's two that come to mind right away.

The first is in response the Joe Wilson incident. A few days after it happened, most of the media made a point to note how much money his opponent had raked in because of the incident. What they failed to note was that Wilson had brought in more money than his opponent in the aftermath. I mean, that's just laughable. Partisanship at it's finest.

The second is the Rush Limbaugh Rams controversy. This really gets me angry, because it's absolutely a partisan deal- not a "we don't like any controversial figures being part of the NFL" deal. Are you telling me the same objections would be raised if Keith Olbermann tried to purchase a team? A few years ago, George Soros tried to buy the Washington Nationals. It didn't materialize, but I don't remember the uproar. Look at some of the other owners of professional sports teams:

Ted Turner, who has said that we should encourage families to have only one or two children, who says "it hasn't been proven" in response to the idea that Castro is a killer, who said in 30 years most of the world's population will be dead and the rest will be cannibals...

Or Fergie, whose lyrics include countless derogatory words, B-word, N-word, other swear words, singing about how the CIA are terrorists...

Or Jay-Z, who does the same thing, uses completely foul language, demeans women. Seriously, check out his stuff. Real worthy of being part of the great NFL.

Or Jennifer Lopez, who does the same things.

Or Serena Williams, who does the same things.

Or Mark Cuban, who can make a "movie" about how mean American soldiers are.

Of course, they're liberals. This is about Rush being a conservative. No doubt in my mind. It's not about being a divisive person. I've heard countless remarks by people who HATE Rush, but think he has just the same right to buy a team as anyone else in his position would. Welcome to America, 2009.

Plus, that's not even taking into account the larger issue in this story, in that he never said what the media is saying he did. He never said slavery had its merits. He never said James Earl Ray deserves an award. If so, show me the source. Anything. Video. Audio. A transcript. I'll be waiting, just like I'm waiting for Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, and various sports analysts to respond to my emails asking to back up these claims. I'm not holding my breathe.
__________________
2861U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
The Fly
 
TheShootist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 37
Local Time: 03:13 PM
There are a lot of stories to be dug up, which can play up anyone’s side of what is fair and what is not. Many Republicans are financially invested in Halliburton, so it is not any wonder they said "no" to this. I am sure Obama would do the same for ACORN.

Also, most Republicans are not conservative, but Obama and the main stream media would like you to think so, thus they can keep the big lie going of making you think you there is a difference between the two parties.
__________________
TheShootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Actually, it's not so much that Rush is a conservative as it is that he hosts a daily show who's point is political in nature. Granted, Olberman does too, but Olberman tends to attack individuals (for right or wrong) whereas Rush often goes after groups of people. Mayeb Olberman does that too, I dunno. I don't watch him. However, he did work on ESPN for a while, so he may be considered more qualified to won a pro team than Rush, so there's that. But I'm sure people would get pissed at him too. And I have a feeling most owners of pro-sports team probably lean Republican anyway, though I've never researched this.

And as for the people you posted to prove your point, 3 of them are singers, 1 is a tennis player, 1 owns the Mavericks and got rich through business dealing, and the other is Ted Turner - who I think most people kinda wrote off as being insane when he started coloring in old movies and married Jane Fonda. So it's kinda not apples to apples there. Jon Stewart maybe have been a better comparison.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post
There are a lot of stories to be dug up, which can play up anyone’s side of what is fair and what is not. Many Republicans are financially invested in Halliburton, so it is not any wonder they said "no" to this.

I am sure Obama would do the same for ACORN. Also, most Republicans are not conservative, but Obama and the main stream media would like you to think so, thus they can keep the big lie going of making you think you there is a difference between the two parties.





If I invested in, say, a company that makes robots, and then those robots started raping people, I would no longer be invested in that company. It's a no-brainer.

And most republicans are conservatives as that's kinda the point of the party - to be more conservative. Granted, most aren't bat shit insane neo-cons, but they lean conservative in a good amount if issues.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Some more...

Two youtube videos (the first is my favorite youtube video of all time, for the record), plus a third one featuring calls from the John Gibson show the other day. I wouldn't even call it partisanship (though it certainly is) as much as I would just utter frightening idiocy, but take a listen and feel grateful you're not that stupid. These people have NO idea what they're talking about.

YouTube - Dean and Olbermann on Name-Calling: Then and Now!

YouTube - Rush Limbaugh: In Line For 'Obama Money' In Detroit

YouTube - Gibson on the Limbaugh Flap, MSNBC, and Olbermann!
__________________
2861U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
The Fly
 
TheShootist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 37
Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post



If I invested in, say, a company that makes robots, and then those robots started raping people, I would no longer be invested in that company. It's a no-brainer.

And most republicans are conservatives as that's kinda the point of the party - to be more conservative. Granted, most aren't bat shit insane neo-cons, but they lean conservative in a good amount if issues.
It may be a no-brainer to you, but to a senator that does not live in the real world it is easy to compartmentalize human suffering.

If you look at the majority of Republicans voting record on spending, immigration, and not fighting wars to win you will see they are no better than the Democrats.
__________________
TheShootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,886
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
The second is the Rush Limbaugh Rams controversy. This really gets me angry, because it's absolutely a partisan deal- not a "we don't like any controversial figures being part of the NFL" deal.
Yeah, this one is a real debacle on a bunch of levels.

But it was fun listening to noted NFL fans like Sheila Jackson Lee and Al Sharpton springing into action.
__________________
Bluer White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 05:13 PM
!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
A few years ago, George Soros tried to buy the Washington Nationals. It didn't materialize, but I don't remember the uproar.
I'm always a little taken aback by the sheer hatred on the right with respect to George Soros, a man who, for years, gave immense amounts of his money to progressive and brave people, whether they be dissidents or academics in the Eastern Bloc who were fighting against Communism. SOCIALISM = BAD! I mean, you Republicans should be all over this like white on rice and thanking the man for his vast efforts to rid the word of socialist thought and rule. I've yet to see a Republican give credit to him for this. Not that I'm expecting it.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I could write a novel. We all probably could. But here's two that come to mind right away.

The first is in response the Joe Wilson incident. A few days after it happened, most of the media made a point to note how much money his opponent had raked in because of the incident. What they failed to note was that Wilson had brought in more money than his opponent in the aftermath. I mean, that's just laughable. Partisanship at it's finest.

The second is the Rush Limbaugh Rams controversy. This really gets me angry, because it's absolutely a partisan deal- not a "we don't like any controversial figures being part of the NFL" deal. Are you telling me the same objections would be raised if Keith Olbermann tried to purchase a team? A few years ago, George Soros tried to buy the Washington Nationals. It didn't materialize, but I don't remember the uproar. Look at some of the other owners of professional sports teams:

Ted Turner, who has said that we should encourage families to have only one or two children, who says "it hasn't been proven" in response to the idea that Castro is a killer, who said in 30 years most of the world's population will be dead and the rest will be cannibals...

Or Fergie, whose lyrics include countless derogatory words, B-word, N-word, other swear words, singing about how the CIA are terrorists...

Or Jay-Z, who does the same thing, uses completely foul language, demeans women. Seriously, check out his stuff. Real worthy of being part of the great NFL.

Or Jennifer Lopez, who does the same things.

Or Serena Williams, who does the same things.

Or Mark Cuban, who can make a "movie" about how mean American soldiers are.

Of course, they're liberals. This is about Rush being a conservative. No doubt in my mind. It's not about being a divisive person. I've heard countless remarks by people who HATE Rush, but think he has just the same right to buy a team as anyone else in his position would. Welcome to America, 2009.

Plus, that's not even taking into account the larger issue in this story, in that he never said what the media is saying he did. He never said slavery had its merits. He never said James Earl Ray deserves an award. If so, show me the source. Anything. Video. Audio. A transcript. I'll be waiting, just like I'm waiting for Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, and various sports analysts to respond to my emails asking to back up these claims. I'm not holding my breathe.
I don't think you quite understand the purpose of this thread. This is about real partisanship not some make believe boogeyman liberals in the media, liberals in the NFL crap.

I have no clue what you are talking about with the Joe Wilson thing, the days following his opponent did raise more but CNN reported that the quarter as a whole that Wilson beat out his opponent.

As far as the Rush thing, really? Yes, it's stupid. Why they chose not to investigate the quotes I don't know, maybe because it didn't suprise anyone due to his history of racism. But I really don't see this as a partisan thing, this has to do with him and the NFL and his investors. Money people get scared about controversy, plus he's already had a racism controversy in the NFL before back when he announced what was it Monday Night Football?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post
There are a lot of stories to be dug up, which can play up anyone’s side of what is fair and what is not. Many Republicans are financially invested in Halliburton, so it is not any wonder they said "no" to this. I am sure Obama would do the same for ACORN.
You can't be serious. You're new so I haven't quite figured you out, you've said a lot of misinformed shit, so I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but you can't honestly believe this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post

Also, most Republicans are not conservative, but Obama and the main stream media would like you to think so, thus they can keep the big lie going of making you think you there is a difference between the two parties.
What does Obama and the "MSM" have to do with this? Now I think you are just making up shit... This is a problem for the Republican party, nothing more nothing less, they haven't figured out which direction they want to go, Obama nor the media have ever tried to make the party out to be any more or less conservative than they are. You are confused my friend.
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I don't think you quite understand the purpose of this thread. This is about real partisanship not some make believe boogeyman liberals in the media, liberals in the NFL crap.
With regards to the Limbaugh story-- Common sense, logic, rationality and the opportunity to stand aside and let a successful human being make an economic choice (which will in no way affect 99% of its critics) are being suppressed due to said person's political ideology. Is that not the ultimate definition of partisanship?
__________________
2861U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
With regards to the Limbaugh story-- Common sense, logic, rationality and the opportunity to stand aside and let a successful human being make an economic choice (which will in no way affect 99% of its critics) are being suppressed due to said person's political ideology. Is that not the ultimate definition of partisanship?
No. Unless you are somehow suggesting that every single person on that board is a Dem. Is the NFL now a liberal ran machine? Is this the new conspiracy of the day?
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Al Franken proposes getting rid of the old 'it's OK if you get raped' clause in government contracts, but 30 Republicans object.

Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Rape-Nuts
I was wondering if anyone was going to bring this up. I don't even think I can properly talk about it without dissolving into a puddle of profanity-filled anger.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
With regards to the Limbaugh story-- Common sense, logic, rationality and the opportunity to stand aside and let a successful human being make an economic choice (which will in no way affect 99% of its critics) are being suppressed due to said person's political ideology. Is that not the ultimate definition of partisanship?
No. It's about making a business decision based on what business decisions tend to be about - money. They don't want to alienate fans/customers who loathe Rush Limbaugh. Rush is simply reaping what he sows. You can't be a racist, hateful, lying jackass and expect everyone on earth to welcome you with open arms.
__________________

__________________
Bono's shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BeLIEve, I have a special request. STING2 Peeling off those Dollar Bills 25 10-12-2006 02:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com