A Nation Divided...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another development in the Limbaugh story, another example of partisanship. Last night on O'Reilly, Juan Williams defended Rush Limbaugh, to which radio show host Warren Ballentine responded "Go back to your porch."

:tsk:

The bigger story here is that O'Reilly said that Limbaugh's only racist remark ... EVER ... was his comment about Donovan McNabb.

Literally, that's O'Reilly telling you, "I'm either a Republican shill or a moron, and there's no in between."

There's a "bigger story" than a black man defending Rush Limbaugh being called an Uncle Tom? I can't believe people here are defending that language.

Yet you defending Rush's constant racism and sexism? The tea partiers racism?

Hypocrisy at it's best!!!

Do you think less of Juan Williams because of his take on Limbaugh?

Well, I don't know Juan Williams personally at all. I know little about him. So in that sense I don't think I can fairly say whether I think less of him. I do feel that it's sad when an African American feels they need or want to buddy up with someone like Limbaugh. I understand it--I'd even go so far as to say I've maybe even done it when I was a kid and growing up around mostly white friends--but I still think it's sad, and if it is indeed the case, yes, I do think less of that person.

There's a "bigger story" than a black man defending Rush Limbaugh being called an Uncle Tom? I can't believe people here are defending that language.

I don't think it is inherently wrong to make the case that a black man defending Rush Limbaugh is. . .what's a nicer word? . .I don't know. It's not nice, I know that. But this is not a nice situation.

I think most people who're waxing outraged over this Williams/Ballentine incident seem to be lacking in due perspective about the context of the comment, namely one black person criticizing another. It's not like a white person aiming the n-word at him, it has a totally different social force. If another Jew called me a self-hating Jew in front of non-Jewish friends, I'd frankly be annoyed if said friends publically got all outraged and defensive on my behalf--not because I wouldn't appreciate the general idea of their support, but because to me that just shows a lack of social common sense, inserting themselves into an in-group standoff that they by definition don't and can't belong to. It's not really even about them at all. These kinds of expressions simply mean something different, and feel different, to the fellow in-group person they're aimed at than they do to others outside the group, to whom they're merely sending a "this guy's a sellout and therefore lacking in credibility" message--which is publically highly critical, sure, but hardly a racial slur. To the in-group person it's accusatory on a whole different level--'You're hurting our people with your spineless groveling to the [Whoevers], and now I'm gonna respond in kind by calling you on it right in front of them'. That particular message is something the accused really needs to hash out themselves with their accuser (or not, if ignoring it is their preference).

No. It's about making a business decision based on what business decisions tend to be about - money. They don't want to alienate fans/customers who loathe Rush Limbaugh.

I see that-but the NFL and some of their other decisions could have already alienated some fans. Have I stopped watching football because of them? No. Would I if Rush owned part of the Rams? No. I also don't have to work for or with the guy. But for the NFL to act all high and mighty in this instance is sort of laughable. I get that Goodell has been trying to improve things and that this is probably part of that-but they are certainly not coming from a place of moral purity. Are some of the past decisions they have made on par with being in business with Rush? It depends upon your perspective, I guess. I can't believe that all of their owners are as pure as the driven snow either as far as racist or sexist, etc. leanings. I'm sure they're just not as vocal about it as Rush Limbaugh is.

I'm sure the NFL wouldn't have had any problem with Rush's money if his involvement was silent, but it wasn't. It has nothing to do with being pure, it's that he's controversial. It's just smart business for them, it has nothing to do with partisanship.

Yet you defending Rush's constant racism and sexism? The tea partiers racism?

Hypocrisy at it's best!!!

I don't defend any racism or sexism and never have. Rush is neither of those things. Though there's no point in having a debate like this with someone whose definition of racism is clearly different than my own.

But go on thinking that I've just become "desensitized" to it (or whatever your stupid explanation is), despite the fact that I condemn things like the birther movement.

Also, go on finding nothing wrong with the character and intelligence of a black man being put in question because he actually thinks for himself and doesn't march in lockstep with 99% of African-Americans.

I don't defend any racism or sexism and never have. Rush is neither of those things. Though there's no point in having a debate like this with someone whose definition of racism is clearly different than my own.

Ok, then here's a great stepping off point for discussion.

Define for me sexism, and then define for me racism.

"Some of these babes, I'm telling you, like the sexual harassment crowd. They're out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes."

“She’s actually a very smart cat. She gets loved. She gets adoration. She gets petted. She gets fed. And she doesn’t have to do anything for it, which is why I say this cat’s taught me more about women, than anything in my whole life.”

Rush Limbaugh is not sexist AT ALL. WTF do I know as a woman, anyway.

"Some of these babes, I'm telling you, like the sexual harassment crowd. They're out there protesting what they actually wish would happen to them sometimes."

I don't defend any racism or sexism and never have. Rush is neither of those things.

I'm convinced. :up:

193552414_0007594438.jpg

Top 10 Rush Limbaugh Racist Quotes | News One

This is just what came up for me in a quick search-according to this site and this author. It's also dated Oct 20th 2008, so it has nothing to do with the Rams situation.

I read the site you posted.

I like the comment, on the page, by SuzieQQ, "Let’s all make up more quotes and claim Rush said them."

I know it was a quick search and thanks for posting it, but I think the site just shows that "the truth" is not what most people are looking for.

I see that-but the NFL and some of their other decisions could have already alienated some fans. Have I stopped watching football because of them? No. Would I if Rush owned part of the Rams? No. I also don't have to work for or with the guy. But for the NFL to act all high and mighty in this instance is sort of laughable. I get that Goodell has been trying to improve things and that this is probably part of that-but they are certainly not coming from a place of moral purity. Are some of the past decisions they have made on par with being in business with Rush? It depends upon your perspective, I guess. I can't believe that all of their owners are as pure as the driven snow either as far as racist or sexist, etc. leanings. I'm sure they're just not as vocal about it as Rush Limbaugh is.

I don't believe for a second that the NFL owners are doing this out of any kind of nobility - they just know that Rush is a lightning rod for controversy and unlike Rush's radio show, which is listened to by professed "dittoheads," the NFL audience is diverse. Sure, some customers/fans are probably either Rush fans or just don't care if he owns the team or not, but the owners probably figured they could find someone else with deep pockets who doesn't carry so much baggage and potential risk of offending paying customers. If there wasn't that risk, I'm sure the owners would welcome Rush with open arms.

So the sources are fabricated?

From what I have read so far, I think they are fabricated,

It's funny that Limbaugh's radio show is on five days a week and these "racists" statements are just now being exposed.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton statements are so pure and should never be questioned.

It seems to be.

*We are still so far from MLK's dream

From what I have read so far, I think they are fabricated

Why? Even the quotes from his own show?

And something from 08 isn't just coming out now. One of the sources I clicked on there is dated 2000-so that's not just coming out now either. This one.

Limbaugh

6/7/00

Limbaugh
A Color Man Who Has a Problem With Color?

By Jeff Cohen and Steve Rendall

Talk radio host Rush Limbaugh may be returning to television. He recently auditioned for a job as color commentator on ABC's Monday Night Football. The tryout followed weeks of self-promotion by the self-styled "truth detector" to the millions who listen daily to his syndicated radio show on some 600 stations.

Limbaugh's audition is stirring controversy. Sports columnist Thomas Boswell quipped that if Limbaugh joins Monday Night Football, then baseball's game of the week broadcasters might "team up with John Rocker."

Veteran sports writer Michael Wilbon, who is black, indicated a boycott might result: "If Rush Limbaugh is put in that booth, I will NOT listen to the broadcast," he wrote in a Washington Post chat session. "His views on people like me are well documented and I would find it insulting and hypocritical to watch him…There are tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands who feel the same way I do."

If ABC hires Limbaugh, it's not clear a boycott will materialize. What is clear is that his expressed views on racial matters -- from the spiteful to the sophomoric -- would make him an odd color commentator. Indeed, CBS Sports dismissed Jimmy the Greek Snyder for ignorant racial remarks less derisive than some of Limbaugh's.

As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." A decade ago, after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

In 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: "Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out."

In a similar vein, here is Limbaugh's mocking take on the NAACP, a group with a 90-year commitment to nonviolence: "The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

When Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the "Movin' On Up" theme song from TV's Jeffersons when he mentioned her. Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting "ax" for "ask"-- when discussing black leaders.

Such quotes and antics -- many compiled by Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR) for our 1995 book -- offer a whiff of Limbaugh's racial sensibility. So does his claim that racism in America "is fueled primarily by the rantings and ravings" of people like Jesse Jackson. Or his ugly reference two years ago to the father of Madonna's first child, a Latino, as "a gang member-type guy" -- an individual with no gang background.

In 1994, Limbaugh mocked St. Louis for building a rail line to East St. Louis "where nobody goes." East St. Louis is home to roughly 40,000 residents -- 98 percent of whom are African-Americans. One of its 40,000 "nobodies" is star NFL linebacker Bryan Cox.

Once, in response to a caller arguing that black people need to be heard, Limbaugh responded: "They are 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?" That's not an unusual response for a talk radio host playing to an audience of "angry white males." It may not play so well among National Football League players, 70 percent of whom are African American.

Compared to some talk radio hosts, racism is not central to Rush Limbaugh's shtick. But there has been a pattern of commentary indicating his willingness to exploit prejudice against blacks to further his on-air arguments.

ABC has the right to hire Limbaugh, even at the risk of alienating members of its audience. (Monday Night Football is the second-most-watched TV show in black households). Thrust into the world of pro football where Limbaugh himself would be something of a racial minority, is it possible that he'd rise above his history of racial bigotry and insensitivity? Not likely.

When all is said and done, the athletes are the key players on Monday Night Football. It would be great to know how they'd feel about a color man who seems to have trouble with people of color.

A version of this appeared in the Los Angeles Times, 6/7/2000

From what I have read so far, I think they are fabricated,

It's funny that Limbaugh's radio show is on five days a week and these "racists" statements are just now being exposed.

Web sites such as Media Matters have been exposing his racist statements for a long time. I think the first time I visited that site was in 2006, and they were doing it then.

I give up trying to get a quote and the date and time on his radio show.

Thank all of you for your replies.

I give up.

For me, the Rush Limbaugh debate is a diversion from the truth of what is going on.

I see a lot of jerks dancing and promoting division who seem (in this PC world)
immune to being questioned.

Also, go on finding nothing wrong with the character and intelligence of a black man being put in question because he actually thinks for himself and doesn't march in lockstep with 99% of African-Americans.

And see that's another thing. This Williams NEVER attends any of the meetings of the Black Community--every other Tues, how hard is it to show up--where we all get our marching orders from Rev. Sharpton and Jackson, and keep in lockstep. . .

:wink:

We don't march in lockstep. There are a diversity of views among African Americans and I'm fine with that. Buddying up with Limbaugh or groveling before him (as Steele did) is a different story.

That you would say a thing like that. . .well, if I didn't know you better I'd almost say it was. . .well, you know. . .

Back
Top Bottom